Grubee skyhawk 2 gearbox question

C

cheap ride

Hi all, I have a Huasheng 4 stroke kit on my bike with a grubee skyhawk 2 gearbox, i am trying to find out if it is possible to buy a wet clutch to go into the gearbox, then i can half fill the gearbox with some good gear oil, like 80w 150 or similar, this should increase the life expectancy of the gearbox and make it run really quiet i hope, has anyone got knowledge of where i can buy such a clutch ? i would appreciate any leads:D

The instructions say it can be run as-is, wet or dry and many people here have run theirs with gearlube. Not me, but I am considering it.

The grubee works best wet so it is the wet clutch your looking for. If you run it dry it will stick. I drill a small hole in the case cover near the clutch and tap it for a screw. Give the clutch a couple of sqirts of gear oil (not so much it drips) and spin it to make sure it has and even coating and spins freely. I then assemble the gear box using a bead of silicone gasket maker this keeps the gear box from leaking. When the silicone has set up give a few squirts of gear oil through the hole perferably while the engine is running. Take it for a test ride if you notice any sticking add a couple of squirts. You want enough oil in the case for the gears to pick up but not so much as to spray out by the engager. The gear box will always make some noise this is due to straight cut gears.

The grubee works best wet so it is the wet clutch your looking for. If you run it dry it will stick. I drill a small hole in the case cover near the clutch and tap it for a screw. Give the clutch a couple of sqirts of gear oil (not so much it drips) and spin it to make sure it has and even coating and spins freely. I then assemble the gear box using a bead of silicone gasket maker this keeps the gear box from leaking. When the silicone has set up give a few squirts of gear oil through the hole perferably while the engine is running. Take it for a test ride if you notice any sticking add a couple of squirts. You want enough oil in the case for the gears to pick up but not so much as to spray out by the engager. The gear box will always make some noise this is due to straight cut gears.
Quite interesting....can u post a pic please of where u drilled the hole and any other info u feel might help. :cool:

What I use in this gearbox is a 50/50 mix of gear oil and transmission stop leak. I began drilling the hole after I had to take the gearbox apart to free a stuck clutch when using a grubee recomendation to use grease. Learn from this site alot of us have screwed up enough to know. The silicone seal was when I found out the gearbox leaks.Drill a hole apx.1/8 and tap (you can make it whatever size works for you) make sure to use a short screw that will not touch the clutch one that just makes it through the housing, check before sealing. Use a squirt type oil can.
The hole doesn't have to be in this exact location but in a place where the oil has a chance to get on the clutch plates. On my rack mount the hole is located near the top of the raised portion of the gearbox or to the left in this picture.

Attachments

• 100_0461.jpg
    100_0461.jpg
    161.6 KB · Views: 1,098
Is that so the gears just dip into the oil, but are not bathed?

On some implements I have, there is a fill hole, a drain hole and a level hole. With the level hole, you fill the thing up until the oil just starts to ooze out- then you know you have the correct level. i was thinking of doing the same here. Any thoughts?

Gearbox grease

That picture by nsideous shows a hole in the gearbox outer casing. Presumably it squirts oil on the gear wheels but not the centrifugal clutch behind it. Are you talking about the drive sprocket engager mechanism behind the final drive sprocket or the centrifugal clutch?
I took out all the gear wheels and applied a good coat of MPG Universal Marine Grease made by Rock Oil Company from the UK. It's a white tacky lithium based grease and I reckon it's the best however I haven't started my motor yet and am still assembling the bike. I wouldn't want to go with a wet gearbox because I'd have to replace the silicone sealant every time I changed the oil or took off the gearbox cover. I found this grease to be superb on the HT engines gear sprockets - way better than anything else.
Am I mad or should I ditch the grease and go with a wet gearbox. It's easy to apply the grease - takes 30 minutes to apply it to every single cog.

What I use in this gearbox is a 50/50 mix of gear oil and transmission stop leak. I began drilling the hole after I had to take the gearbox apart to free a stuck clutch when using a grubee recomendation to use grease. Learn from this site alot of us have screwed up enough to know. The silicone seal was when I found out the gearbox leaks.Drill a hole apx.1/8 and tap (you can make it whatever size works for you) make sure to use a short screw that will not touch the clutch one that just makes it through the housing, check before sealing. Use a squirt type oil can.
The hole doesn't have to be in this exact location but in a place where the oil has a chance to get on the clutch plates. On my rack mount the hole is located near the top of the raised portion of the gearbox or to the left in this picture.

Please can you explain how the oil gets to the centrifugal clutch plates when is is behind the gearbox? Also what type of silicone sealant do you use and do you have to replace it each time you take the cover off the gearbox?
I still want to try my tacky white marine grease which was so good on the HT gears. If its no good I'll reconsider using oil.
Thanks nsideous,
Irish John

Back