Gulf Oil spill Much Worse than reported and Not Stopping Soon [Public Forum]

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Happy Valley, May 3, 2010.

1. Happy Valley

Happy Valley Active Member

Response by Paul Noel
    for Pure Energy Systems.
    May 2, 2010

2. Fabian

Fabian Well-Known Member

If the information presented is accurate, BP could go the way of Enron - here today, gone tomorrow.

If the oil leak can't be stopped and it keeps flowing for 3 months or more and the surface slick ignites, the resultant air polution would be catastrophic.

No one would be complaining about China's airborne emissions.

3. ejp2fast

ejp2fast New Member

see attached pdf for pictures

Attached Files:

4. Fabian

Fabian Well-Known Member

My God,

My heart goes out to those men and their families.
    They had no chance for survival.

5. SimpleSimon

SimpleSimon Active Member

Fabian, the surface slick has been deliberately ignited in order to burn off as much as possible at sea, rather than letting it wash up onto the beaches and into the estuaries.

Gulf Coast fisheries are essentially finis , or very soon will be.
  6. Gh0stRider

Gh0stRider Banned

Hmmmmmm... Enron and BP - what do they have in common...... NOTHING!!!!!! Bzzzzzzzzt - so sorry wrong answer!

As far as the slick igniting, that is actually one of the methods used to mitigate a spill. (lesser of two evils)

What about the emissions from that volcano eruption in Iceland? The one that was so bad it disrupted air travel for several days? Did they buy enough pollution credits?
  7. seanhan

seanhan Member

Fills the earth, land and sea
    man prepairs to meet his destiny ....

Black Sabbath ...
  8. fasteddy

fasteddy Member

Happy Valley, thank you. They are all hot to drill in our arctic for oil.
    Now we know the cost.

9. JemmaUK

JemmaUK Guest

Sorry but as a trained geologist you are missing the point sorta... as did the press release nerk...

So far as I understand it this is a deep drill well which is self pressurised - ie it doesnt need humans squirting water down to get the oil to come up - once the capstone layer was breached the oils coming up, whether you like it or not..

so the problem they have is to somehow cap off the well using such material that will do the following...

flow relatively quickly
    solidify on contact with oil or water
    is strong enough to resist the pressure from the gas cap inside the deposit
    isnt more polluting than whats already happening...

simple - concrete... would do the job admirably... is cheap and readily available. Shaped charges *bad idea* - if the explosive travels through gas into the reservoir all **** would break loose down there. And please, which ever idiot decided to channel the Aliens script and do a Ripley.... "I say we dust off and nuke the site from orbit, its the only way to be sure" - should be sacked on the spot and sent to burger king in des moines for the rest of his natural... not only is it wasteful, but it could crack the whole capstone formation wide open and cause an enivonmental disaster that would make the supercaldera at yellowstone park look like a camping stove!

just one slight problem - the delivery system that you would use to put it where you want it just went down faster than a clinton intern...

So in order to get this stopped they have to RV (remote vehicle) down to the remains of the drill head, clear it and fit a connection to whats left of the pipework (which will probably make the oil release rate spike, not good) then get that up to the surface using kit thats resistant to the pressures and send the concrete/sealant down...

All so simple... well yes and then again no... because the oil field there is still developable - it should be possible to move in another similar rig and redrill down through the same caprock formations to get at the oil at another location... the problem is if that is done too close to the failed drilling (even if its filled with concrete) it could cause a blowby and the whole thing would start again... a blowby could even start if there is faulting through the caprock series (which there very well might be).

It is all very well whining about all this but think about why these people died in the first place why dont you?. You wanted cheap gas and you got it - so you build cars that barely get 20 to the gallon with the engine switched off! so its a little rich to ***** at BP for this. If there wasnt a market for their product they wouldnt be obtaining it... so if you want to look at someone to blame - blame yourselves and the governments that make it practically impossible to get cheap efficient single person transport & good mass transport systems because they are too obsessed with winning the next election not doing their jobs... not to mention atrocious safety records and control systems on the cheap because you the consumer wouldnt pay a fair price for the risks taken.

maybe a time to start thinking about that??

Jemma xx
  10. give me vtec

give me vtec Active Member

Why gripe at the people riding the most efficient form of single person transportation yet developed???? Its a motorized bicycle forum remember???
  11. Fabian

Fabian Well-Known Member

Hi Jemma

I need an education by someone trained and qualified to answer my question relating to the pressure of the oil deposit.
    In the article the pressure is stated to be somewhere between 165 and 170,000 PSI.

Is this an acurate figure, and if it is, how on earth can a batch of setting concrete solidify.
    I have a vision of a kevlar reinforced soda straw being placed in a heap of wet concrete and then placing a high pressure air line being attached to the straw.
    My simpleton logic tells me that the concrete would be forced away from the straw?

I apologise for such an inept way of looking at the situation.

12. fasteddy

fasteddy Member

JemmaUK, I've been to a Burger King in Des Moines, That would come under Cruel and Unnatural Punishment with the UN. O.O LOL

13. JemmaUK

JemmaUK Guest

Most of whom own at least one car or more & most of whom are in the US - where any engine under 1300cc is fitted to a motorcycle... I used to drive cars that were 40 years old and still did 35mpg on a 1600cc (85cui) engine while having the aerodynamics of a barn door - I had another - an 1100 renault 5 which would make 52mpg on average!!

Yes, there are people on here that are developing efficient forms of transport on here - look at my MDS duel engine quadrem proposal - I am one of them... but they still use petrol/petrol or electricity which is generally got from fossil fuels...

My point kicking in yet?
  14. Gh0stRider

Gh0stRider Banned

Hahaha - the 20 mpg cars "we" build. Range Rovers and Jaguars get 40 mpg, right? And just what does "BP" stand for. British Petroleum, I believe.

So JemmaUK, if you want to trash Americans for our consumption and what we drive, look in your own backyard first.
  15. Gh0stRider

Gh0stRider Banned

We used to have little cars that got kick butt gas mileage too. Problem is the government wanted cars safer, so they mandated that manufacturers make them so safe you could crash them into a brick wall and walk away unscathed. Unfortunately, it made them heavier in the process. Not too long ago, we could buy a (Japanese made) Chevy Metro that got 60 mpg without hybrid drives and battery packs. Just a little 3 cylinder fuel injected petrol engine.
  16. JemmaUK

JemmaUK Guest

There is a way that I can see it working but it takes a little working through..

Concrete solidifies faster if its exposed to water (the romans worked that out) and also if its exposed to heat...

Its true that the pressures are massive - self pressurised wells do that wonderful airblast trick that you see on all the films of red adair et al because of this...

but what you should be able to do is exert a pressure higher than that from our end - which actually shouldnt be that difficult since I suspect the person who wrote that media snippet was going for the shock value... and not using sensible engineering units.. in fact in the case of the units he quotes its a **** certainty

Now... you are also making the assumption that you would just push the concrete down the pipe and thats it - that isnt the case - what you want to do is both seal the drill pipe itself - which is fairly easy... but you also would want to inject concrete into the caprocks around the drillhead themselves in order to reinforce them which is what they are already trying to do. Its a fair chance at this point that the drilling pipe is fractured so forcing concrete down it at higher pressures than the backpressure from the gas/oil should hopefully kill two birds with one stone... both sealing the pipe and also (due to the leakage into the surrounding cap rocks - creating a sort of inverted intrusive sill/dyke system that will help hold the concrete in place and strengthen it at the site of the man made fracture...

All you have to do then is maintain the pressure for a time until the concrete solidifies - which it should do - and hole sealed...

The only unknown for me - since I havent studied the properties of concrete under hyperpressures - is if the pressures involved would preclude the stuff setting in a similar way hyperpressures can make solid rock flow like treacle...

Did that explain any? ... im not very good at making things simple :(

Jemma xx
  17. give me vtec

The uk is about the size of california and about as geographically diverse as nebraska.... why dont you move to a place that has a little more difficult terrain to navigate and we will talk. I dont see you b***ing at the africans or saudis for driving 40 year old toyotas and land cruisers that get 10 mpg on diesel.

I have 5 cars... ranging from 15 mpg to 30 mpg. I drive the honda fit around town, my mb around my neighborhood, and my jeep wrangler in the mountains. The rest are track toys for racing.

You dont live here so you dont know what our transportation needs are. You cannot apply the mass transportation of london to a city where the next neighbor is 30 miles away and it takes an offroad vehicle with skid plates to get to the grocery store. You dont live on a farm that requires you to have a full size truck to haul equipment.

we dont all live on a tiny island and sometimes our needs require a little more than a solar powered tricycle. If we lived in a place where everywhere you wanted to go was paved with a nice asphalt road we could probably do with a little less.... my point kicking in yet????
  18. JemmaUK

JemmaUK Guest

We had those little shopping-carts too - Suzuki Swift I think they were called over here ... they did a turbo version as well - 200hp! can be got from that engine - a 800cc glorified generator engine or so I understand it.

Crash safety isnt a function of weight or size - its a function of good design. a Landrover Discovery is a 2 NCAP star car and weighs 1.7 tonnes - a ford fiesta is a 4/5 star car and weighs 800kg - the Renault Clio is about the same and manages 5 stars...

The problem was more the kickbacks the US car industry got year after year because it was easier for the government to let them build rebodied versions of the same old tat than it was for them to force the companies to re-equip and design for modern gear that would have cost jobs & therefore votes...
  19. Fabian

Fabian Well-Known Member

A good part of the reason why personal transport isn't more environmentally friendly is the simple fact that a good portion of a barrel of oil goes towards the non combustible components that make up our everyday lives - plastics, fertilisers, lubricants for industry, petrochemical based cladding, etc.

To support the current (and increasing) level of human population, we need more oil, and part of the fractionation process yields automotive and aviation fuels.
    At the end of the day, to support human habitation as we know it, we almost have to find a way of burning the stuff, and automobiles are part of a convenient solution.

20. give me vtec

very true... very true.