Guys, i found larger fuel tanks for rack-mounts!

Discussion in 'Spare Parts, Tools & Product Developement' started by 5-7HEAVEN, Aug 13, 2007.

1. 5-7HEAVEN

5-7HEAVEN Guest

:cool:what many of you have been looking for:

actually it's 1.5liters, or 50.88oz. grey plastic, 2 12" tubes, side-mounted w/3 bolts. bolts and cap extra. fab yer own L-bracket.

$29.00, or get the $23.00 model w/single 12" tube and plumb this tank into your existing tank for longer range.

StarrMann, then ya don't have to stick your back wheel up the tree.

BTW, there's a new tank on ebay right now. search under "goped tank".

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 14, 2010

2. bamabikeguy

bamabikeguy Active Member

I talked to Dennis at GEBE yesterday, he said Tanaka also has a 1.5 liter "somewhere" on their complicated website.

I haven't time to look, if you are barricaded in for the Hurricane, maybe you (or somebody with hi-speed) could peruse Tanaka's site?

If they are available, I could order quite a few for myself, pass along any break to MB.commers interested in one.
  3. smapadatha

smapadatha Guest

Errr... for us non-mechanical types...

1. Do you mean, remove (somehow) the R/S gas tank and replace it with the tank you mention, mounted on the frame of the bike? Or would this tank allow you to use both it and the R/S tank? How do you splice the 2 GEBE fuel lines to the fuel lines on the new tank?

2. I had an accident a few years ago and I am not very ... bendable. Hence I am GEBE-ifying a chick (or step-through) frame. The line in red shows the route that the fuel lines would have to take on this bike. Would that work, or does a mod like the one you mention require more gravity pressure, or a vacuum, or ...

Attached Files:

4. CrazyPeddler

CrazyPeddler Guest

5. 5-7HEAVEN

5-7HEAVEN Guest

:cool:Crazy, that's the same tank i found, but yours is listed at $40.90.
    sam, i'm not sure if any bike engine will suck fuel that far below the carb.
    i find stuff that people want/need, and share that information. it's up to those needy people to DIY/rig/fabricate/McGuyver. i want this tank for my new project, and i know where to place it. if i have to pay $8.50 for a cap(my price), or use one i have laying around, so be it.
    Dave Staton replaces many of his friction drive engines' tanks with a 96oz unit. this 1.5L tank can easily be mounted where that big tank resides.
    here are some pix off of STATON'S website, regarding the 96oz tank on R/S friction drive installations:

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 15, 2007
  6. larymor

larymor Guest

7. Alaskavan

Alaskavan Guest

Thanks larymor. There's some rides I want to take that have have 100+ miles between gas stations. That idea would allow me to make them easily without having to carry a gas can stowed with my food, clothes, and sleeping bag.
  8. 5-7HEAVEN

5-7HEAVEN Guest

:cool:larymor, you'd still have to fill up from the ROBIN tank. but then at least you'd get maybe 16oz fuel into it,plus the aux tank. then you can top off the tank in a day or so to get full capacity.

drat, i ran outa gas on my MITSUBISHI engine yesterday, after riding to work two days. i was a mile from home, so my daughter brought my gas(mix).

so i bought this today for $12.51:
    retail value is $45.95 with the billet cap. i might ask the seller to exchange his $19 billet cap for a stock $8.50 gas cap, straight up.

another ebay seller has 94 new tanks for sale. BUY IT NOW price is $26.95, but no gas cap or mounting bolts.

here are other listings for daves motors, with cap and mounting hardware:
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 17, 2007
  9. larymor

larymor Guest

Fuel tank dilemma

Willies post on GEBE'S website is a little confusing...first he says he DOES'NT have to pour fuel into the stock tank..then he says the AUXILARY tank stays full till the stock tank emptys?? So me thinks if the second part is true then you would still have to fill the stock tank...doesn't make sense to me. I want to use something tried and true. No way to reach Willie of course so....??

Wille from California:

Using my engine as often as I do, I realized that I needed more fuel. In fact, the Subaru Robin's tank was designed poorly! It can only be filled halfway. So, I started tinkering with the fuel intake and return lines. I noticed that motor pulls fuel up against gravity. So I went to REI and bought a red MSR fuel tank like the ones that other people have in their reviews. At a small engine repair shop I bought a few feet of fuel line and stared messing around.

After it was all said and done, I figured out a way to have the two tanks run simultaneously. I don't have to pour fuel into the stock tank, or flip a switch to access the auxiliary tank, it just runs on the natural pressure from the engine.

I ran a deep line into the auxiliary tank that led to the engine's intake line. Then I ran a second, shallow, line from the aux tank deep into the stock tank. From the stock tank I ran a shallow line back to the engine's return line. If the auxiliary tank is air tight, it should drawl the fuel out of the stock tank. Since there is an air intake valve on the stock tank's cap, the engine will drain the aux tank forming a vacuum which pulls the fuel out of the stock tank. This will keep the aux tank full until the stock tank empties. Then the aux tank will drain as well.
  10. Alaskavan

Alaskavan Guest

I agree that it is a little confusing. My take on the situation is that when he refuels, he would first fill the auxilary tank, cap it, then fill the engine mounted tank. I have tha large additional tank from Staton, and at present just use the little tank as an auxillary. I have the fuel lines runing independently, and just hook up whichever tank I want to use. After seeing Willie's setup, I think I'll get an airtight cap for the small tank and rerout my lines. Should be able to run the fuel through both tanks. This still doesn't give me quite the range I want, I'll need to get another large tank for that. But I think it shows the way.

Attached Files:

11. 5-7HEAVEN

5-7HEAVEN Guest

Well, i received my goped tank, but....

:cool:i received my goped tank i won from ebay. in the box was a billet gas cap tagged $24.88, 2 of the 3 mounting bolts/spacers/nuts which the seller threw in for free, and the goped tank, price tagged 19.88.
    the tank SEEMED smaller than i expected 1.5 liters to hold, so i filled a quart-sized measuring cup with water and poured it in. the goped tank took the quart...and nothing more.

it's a 1 liter goped fuel tank, like this one:

shucks, it's NOT a 1.5 liter, but it'll suit my purposes well enough.

i won't complain for $12.51+shipping for $47.16 of merchandise. i'll even give the seller good feedback.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 21, 2007
  12. bamabikeguy

So the tank is about 32 oz., which would increase the range of a 25cc engine like GEBE's by nearly 30%.

I can go about 45 miles now, that would give me nearly 65-70 miles between refuels...."very very interesting" for the 25cc, not enough oooooomph for the trouble on the 33Tanaka.

But I'm lost in the thread, which engine are you putting this on?

And if you already switched it, any hassles? Any pictures?
  13. 5-7HEAVEN

5-7HEAVEN Guest

:cool:well, for me it increases my fuel supply by 145%; the stock tank can almost be filled to the max. since this new one is opaque, the engine will draw from the translucent original tank FIRST. the 32oz aux mounts above and drains into the stock tank. that way, i'll be able to SEE the LAST few ounces of fuel.....

something that young man with the reserve tank cannot do. he sees the FIRST 18oz of fuel, or whatever he can fill;i'll see the last 22oz of a 54oz fuel system..
  14. Butch

Butch Guest

Added secondary tank for GEBE R/S 35cc

I just finished installing a secondary gas tank for my GEBE R/S 35cc setup so that I can travel longer distances without having to stop for refueling. I took a seatpost mounted bike rack, cut off the rack part, turned it upside down and attached a 2.5 liter gas tank. I drilled a hole in the top front of the stock 22 oz. tank, installed a rubber grommet and fitted the fuel line. I then removed the white vent piece from the stock fuel cap and added an extra rubber gasket to make the tank ventless. The cap didn't want to seal tight with just the stock gasket. With the 22 oz. stock tank, the 2.5 liter vented secondary tank and a 1 quart fuel bottle in my water bottle cage I have a fuel capacity of over a gallon.

Attached Files:

15. 5-7HEAVEN

5-7HEAVEN Guest

:cool:Butch, thanks for the ventless tip. my billet cap requires a vent/valve, so i just need to remove the valve from the original tank,seal it and transfer the valve to my aux tank.
  16. 5-7HEAVEN

5-7HEAVEN Guest

Guys, this time i found a 64oz fuel tank!

:cool:okay guys, this time it's a 2-quart tank:

size is 7 1/2" long X 4" wide X 5 1/4" high. with neck and cap, height is 6 1/2".

cost is $26.95, which i believe includes cap and petcock..

i don't need one, but someone here might want one.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 10, 2007
  17. bamabikeguy

So, what I presume I'm going to have to do for the Tanaka 33 is make a "sub-mounting" frame, to fit the three existing bolt holes to the engine, then mount this, or that liter (50oz) we found elsewhere, to said submount.

Lotta work, but I've got to get more range !!

Thanks 57 for the searching. Just have to figure out which will be easier and more secure-able as a replacement.

Attached Files:

18. 5-7HEAVEN

5-7HEAVEN Guest

:cool:so far, STATON'S 96oz tank is the biggest...

unless ya just plumb into a generic red 2-gallon gas tank from WALMART,NAPA,KMART,etc.

19. larymor

larymor Guest

I think that link to the fuel tank is the same one that Butch used on his R/S35. He doesn't say where he got it that I can see...but it looks exactly the same to me. They are $30 plus $7 or $8 for the valve..then whatever shipping is at Of course if you need the seat post mount that is another $15-$20....gettin kinda spendy.
  20. SirJakesus

SirJakesus Guest

Well this seems like the best thread of any to field this question.

I want to carry some extra fuel on my XR75 without piping in an aux tank. I have a water bottle cage bolted to my frame so what size fuel bottle would fit best?
    I've found a few vendors that sell airtight camping bottles but I wanted to hold off on buying one until I could hear from people who already have them.