Hand Brake ?

KDC1956

Local time
9:01 AM
I have a hand brake that I thought would fit a fat tire it said it would but guess what it want.:-(
I got it from spooky tooth cycles part #30708
So my ? is what kind of hand brake do I need to get.Spooky Tooth Cycles said it should work
but it don't so I had to take it off my bicycle/trike.
Now all I have is the coaster brake only guess its better than no brake huh.I have a 26"x2.125 rim and my tire is a cheng shin tire C-1218 ( 26x2.125 ) I really like these tire I have use these tire for a long time I know some people don't like the name brand of tire but they have always work out good for me.As far a set of fenders to work on my setup I give up guess these tire are just to fat for a fender.These tire are thick and wide.
Any help on this would be nice.For all the people that read my last post thanks for the good comments.I am lost on the hand brake I do want help if I can get some.I'm such a :rolleyes:

How does your handbrake work?

Does it rub on the tire?

Hey man, I have a coaster brake on "The Dragon Lady". When I bought it new, I had the bike shop install a front side-pull brake before it rolled off the showroom.

I rode it like that for two years; it was plagued with coaster brake lockup, which destroyed the rear tire, wheel and brake assembly.:cry:

A few months ago I installed that front side-pull brake in the rear. Now I have front vee brakes, rear side-pull brake and coaster brake.

Works like a charm, even after speeds of 38mph.

:unsure:BTW, that side-pull brake is very resonably priced.

just how tight is the brake ((pads)) to the wheel

have you tried removing the pads then slipping the wheel through
I know -- Iam sure that you have

usually most if not all brakes fit fine to rim
it's the getting over the tire that may be hard

have seen times where someone let some air out of tires
so as to slip through brake pads
I perfer to just remove pads -- slip tire through -- pads back on -- ready to

ride that THING

Last edited:
The hand brake hits the tire it want even get to the rim at all.Even if you try to put the pads on there is no room for them on the rim.I think I know what is wrong its my tires.These tire are so wide not like any other tire I have had before.But I guess I am stuck with no hand brake until these tire wears out.Then I will get different tires and then re try to install my hand brake.Thats the only way I see it at at this time but any input on this is more than welcome.I have no brake pads on at this time.The brake it self hits the tire.Thanks

Last edited:
I have seen these kind of brakes fit if they get mounted to the REAR of the fork (instead of the front)
worth a try at least
good luck

Let ALL the air outa the tire, then install.

Maybe the rims are too wide.

If tire is too wide, change to smaller tire.

If rim is too wide, change to narrower rim.

Best to do that than run bike with no hand brake.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm running caliper brakes front and rear on my bike with 26x2.125 wheels and tires. One caliper is from a 20" BMX style bike- fits fine. A caliper from a thin tire road bike won't work, but anything sized for BMX or mountain should.

Attachments

• front caliper.JPG
    front caliper.JPG
    16.5 KB · Views: 169
  • rear caliper.JPG
    rear caliper.JPG
    28.2 KB · Views: 191
Last edited by a moderator:
time to locate correct brake maybe ??

have you tried removing the pads then slipping the wheel through
I know -- Iam sure that you have

usually most if not all brakes fit fine to rim