Hands going numb . . . what is the solution?

Perhaps you need a trigger throttle like the gebe uses....
They are cheap and easy to install.
Better then holding the wrist down..
I only use my right thumb for throttle ...

Numbness is a common complaint for regular bike riders, as well . A change in position , more upright handlebars , helps this problem.

i went for a more upright back straight arms level posture...buy and build to fit, that's the only way to truly enjoy the motorsport. and the trigger throttle is a breeze after you learn "squeezing harder does NOT make it go faster" and relax. when i go, i go all day, and maybe the weather or other conditions may take a physical toll, but i hardly ever "numb-up" due to being motorized. 2 other mechanical factors i enjoy: gebe beltdrive & effective (whizzer) front-suspension. hope this helped a bit :cool:

Last edited:
The stock handlebars on my Whizzer always made my hands numb but now with the high rise handlebars it is not a problem. Like augi said "i went for a more upright back straight arms level posture...buy and build to fit"

Jim

I take hand (and seat) comfort prettty seriously, so i have cruiser handlebars wrapped in foam and electrical tape.

Attachments

• DSCF1732.jpg
    DSCF1732.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 235
I am a non motorized person yet. And I mean that shortly I will be motorized.
There are some basic cycling principals that will translate.
First is frame fit. second is saddle height issues. Third is Gloves. Spanco gloves are the best. Fourth is handle bar shape. Many issues and biomecheanical ideas.
My passion the last few years has been ultra distance cycling on traditional pedal bicycles.
I mean 24 hour rides and 300 and over 400 miles in that time span on a pedal bike.
Your game has to be honed or your toast.
Many regular cyclists seem to have their seats to high. Your whole body on a bicycle is the shock absorber. Add motors to the mix and you just increase the stress to the body.
I know this does not help but the more fit you are the more comfortable you are on a bike any kind of bike.
I would suggest a very thouro examination of how you are fit on your bicycle and your bicycle frame sise reletive to your body.
This is very complex stuff and there are no easy answers on an internet forum.
Good luck and use google to look for some answers.

Kevin

I hate to say it but a friction drive setup would eliminate the problem. I had forgotten about the hand numbness issue.

Not true in every case. My hands went numb when I installed my GP460 engine on friction drive.:sick:

seanhan, this is also with trigger throttle.:geek:

Presently, I have a Scooterguy frame-mounted Tanaka 47R engine. Major numbness, because the mounts are metal-to-metal connections.

As we speak, I am cutting sections of tire casings(not tubes), and will use them to insulate my drive mounting.

Last edited by a moderator:
No Numbness!

Man, these tire casings REALLY work!

I can feel my fingers while riding.:bowdown:

Killswitch not working now. Need to run a ground wire to the engine block.:unsure:

On building my bike I used leather from my old belt, replaced the tire tubing I had put on the first place. Used it on the engine mounts also on the chain idler. It did reduced the vibration.

I was thinking of tire casings too but don't have any at hand.

Now realizing I don't have any new belt for my pants =)

Back