HandyZap trike conversion

In Idaho, this trike is legally classified as a 'moped' - even though it wears no pedals and is electric powered. It begin as a 190 pound mobility scooter, and ended up a scant 81 pounds ready-to-ride. Top speed was increased 12 MPH from the rear tires alone, and plans to boost the voltage to 36 volts should increase it another 8 MPH. It uses two Milwaukee V28 lithium ion cordless drill batteries and has a range of 8 miles - which is more than adequate for its intended use as a local 'grocery getter'. The wheelbase was stretched to 55", the rear track increased to 28" and the seat was lowered about 15".

amul1c.jpg

302rnlt.jpg

21c5xm1.jpg

t4y1pt.jpg

2dv7gn7.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Where do you put the groceries? :)
In my mouth... :whistle: Just kidding.

A week after the bottom photo was shot, I mounted a 16"x16"x12" plastic container w/hinged lid, behind the seat. Larger loads I use my 3'x2' bike trailer (which weighs 12 pounds).

Cool Idea, But when you go past cars- do they just see a head floating by or do you have enough clearence? I've found when I have to ride to the right side {cars goin to fast}, the cars coming out of driveways/streets don't really see me. I fixed that with makin pipe louder {drilled two holes 3/8" on tip of muffler} so they can hear me. Had a couple of close calls before that. Then again, you could put the groceries on top of your head so they can see you {JK}, Be safe friend, good luck

Cool Idea, But when you go past cars- do they just see a head floating by or do you have enough clearence? I've found when I have to ride to the right side {cars goin to fast}, the cars coming out of driveways/streets don't really see me. I fixed that with makin pipe louder {drilled two holes 3/8" on tip of muffler} so they can hear me. Had a couple of close calls before that. Then again, you could put the groceries on top of your head so they can see you {JK}, Be safe friend, good luck
The seat height is about 19", which about same seat height as a typical passenger car seat - we're usually eye-to-eye when side by side.

Back