Stolen Hang em High in Lancaster, PA

bamabikeguy

Local time
8:02 AM
http://www.thereporteronline.com/articles/2009/05/04/news/doc49ff30d399559219061936.txt

Man sentenced for parking lot robbery

By: Carl Hessler, Jr.

A Souderton man has been sentenced to jail for his role in the strong-arm robbery of a woman on the parking lot of a Towamencin grocery store.

Charles Thompson, 41, of the 100 block of Main Street, was sentenced in Montgomery County Court to 11 ½ to 23 months in the county jail, to be followed by four years' probation, after he pleaded guilty to a felony robbery charge in connection with the July 2008 incident on the parking lot of the Towamencin Acme on West Main Street.

President Judge Richard J. Hodgson, who accepted a plea agreement in the case, also ordered Thompson to pay a total of $2,748 in restitution to the Lansdale woman who was robbed and whose credit cards Thompson and another man used after the robbery.

Court documents indicate the 36-year-old woman was loading groceries in the trunk of her car about 11 p.m. July 16, 2008, when a man approached her from behind and asked her if she needed help with the groceries.

The man, later identified as Thompson, then grabbed the woman's purse that was draped over the woman's shoulder, police said.

"While this subject was grabbing the purse, the victim was knocked to the ground and dragged on the pavement. The victim sustained lacerations to her foot and arms and bruising to her arms," Towamencin Detective James Hanrahan wrote in the arrest affidavit.

Thompson then fled on foot and was picked up a short time later by Lewis Baker Jr., who was driving a vehicle on Columbia Avenue, according to the arrest affidavit.

Thompson and Baker then drove to a BP gas station in Upper Gwynedd where the woman's credit card was used to purchase gas, police alleged. The pair also tried unsuccessfully to use the woman's credit card at a Wawa store on Germantown Pike in East Norriton, according to the arrest affidavit.

Police eventually developed Thompson and Baker as suspects in connection with the incident. Baker subsequently told police that he and Thompson eventually drove to Norristown where they discarded the purse in a Dumpster in the area of Main and Lafayette streets.

Days later, the woman was able to identify Thompson in a police photo array as the man who robbed her, court papers indicate.

Baker, 44, of the 100 block of Hillside Court, North Wales, previously pleaded guilty to misdemeanor charges of receiving stolen property and access device fraud, or unauthorized use of a credit card, in connection with the incident.

Baker remains free on own recognizance bail while awaiting sentencing in the matter, court records indicate.

Thompson also pleaded guilty to a charge of theft by unlawful taking in connection with an unrelated incident during which he stole a motorized bicycle in Franconia Township on July 25, 2008. The theft was linked to Thompson after authorities traced the bicycle to a Norristown pawn shop where Thompson sold the bicycle for $60, according to the arrest affidavit.

I had a pressure washer stolen, knew the cops weren't doing anything, and found it at an "unlicenced" pawnbroker/run down grocery store on the bad side of town.

Put the word out on your own, if your bike is stolen, and pawn shops is a place to start.

Last edited by a moderator:
You sure did catch my attention...

BamaBikeGuy, you sure did catch my attention with that article (since I'm from Lancaster County), but the article is on events that happened a whole lot closer to Philadelphia.
That's good information to check pawn shops for stolen bikes. These crooks generally won't waste the time trying to sell the bike on Craigslist. They want to turn it into cash ASAP.

Just mount a titanium sabot with fold out blades like hunting arrows have, into the seat post, launchable by cellular control with an explosive launch charge. Designed to penetrate the seat and into and through whatever is seated on it. Should create a 3 inch wide wound channel and probably seperate the spinal cord.

Alternatively, a cellular controlled or auto lockup of the front brake upon reaching a preset speed so the bike will cause a high speed face plant.

Both a bit cruel, but in the age of our founding colonies prior to our constitution, the penalty for stealing a mans horse (ride), was hanging. From arrest to conviction to hanging, no more than 90 days. There were no prisons. The crime rate was very low!

Would you feel comfortable sitting on your seat knowing there is an arrow ready to explode up into your azs?

Will have to make that trigger device foolproof! I like that front brake face plant idea too. I normally use cable locks through both wheels and a heavier cable lock through the rear tire and frame that passes through the first cable lock. Dual kill switches turned off and the gas shut off and the choke turned on. Amateurs will be deterred.

Nice thing about being an outdoorsman and spending half a lifetime in the deep forests of the South, I know where to hide the bodies!

I like the cable lock through both tires and messing with the engine method, but does anyone have an idea of what component is easy to take off and render the bike not able to be pedaled? I would guess these motorized bikes just get pedaled away (after locks are defeated) and they don't bother with the engine.

Back