Happt Time factory assembly - No wonder these engines keep failing

Yep. That's where all our jobs went, and that't where all are money is going, too. :eek: Isn't a global economy great? :mad:

Yea...this is one of the many reason I hate unions and how they feel they're soooooo special, that they make foreign outsourcing a must if there demands arent met lol.

things keep up and i might have to take that job offer in the land of Oz, removing Asbestis from buildings.

Another thing i hate is how people say the labor prices are cheap in china beause of qc being low, when thats not the case AT all.
Living expenses are low, EVERYONE recieves funding from the state. Honestly China is the ideal communist country, only downfall i view right now is there restrictions on families and how many children they have. I have a few friends that are now in China and Thailand as teachers and quality control for US labor outsourcing, they love it. One decided not to come back.

Last edited:
China Is The Ideal Place To Live?

OK, Not touching that one with a 10' pole. Please take my place in China.)

In the 50s when a large airconditioning compressor scrambled, it was not uncommon to see the tech rebuild one in 36 hours straight.

The only special tool I remember seeing on the job was a 1/5th or two of what ever he drank to carry him through. I saw a 4 bank 8 cylinder York in a clinic put together by hand and alcohol and it was still running 15+ years later when replaced with a turbo.

Those guy had the touch. Babbitt bearing fit, shims for end play and not a dial indicator in sight. )

I own ever tool I have ever needed, even for one time. That is the difference between a professional and a weekend shade tree mechanic like me. They knew how without the fancy tools.

DIs started to show up when we went to direct drive from belt. The motor had to be dialed in and taper pins installed in its' base.

Oh yes, everything was cleaned in carbon tet before we knew it was absorbed by the skin and killed you.

This hobby would be so boring if all the parts lasted for ever like my Subaru. Problem solving is the purpose. If you get to ride it so much the better. 8O) =

Jim

OK, Not touching that one with a 10' pole. Please take my place in China.)

In the 50s when a large airconditioning compressor scrambled, it was not uncommon to see the tech rebuild one in 36 hours straight.

The only special tool I remember seeing on the job was a 1/5th or two of what ever he drank to carry him through. I saw a 4 bank 8 cylinder York in a clinic put together by hand and alcohol and it was still running 15+ years later when replaced with a turbo.

Those guy had the touch. Babbitt bearing fit, shims for end play and not a dial indicator in sight. )

I own ever tool I have ever needed, even for one time. That is the difference between a professional and a weekend shade tree mechanic like me. They knew how without the fancy tools.

DIs started to show up when we went to direct drive from belt. The motor had to be dialed in and taper pins installed in its' base.

Oh yes, everything was cleaned in carbon tet before we knew it was absorbed by the skin and killed you.

This hobby would be so boring if all the parts lasted for ever like my Subaru. Problem solving is the purpose. If you get to ride it so much the better. 8O) =

Jim

Said that right! Try getting the freeze plugs put in between the fire wall and engine on a V8, or 6. Another good one is getting the CV axle seals in on a Toyota front wheel drive. Its sockets, tape, extensions and swivels. Last finesse! Oh yeah and a hammer!

That guy putting seals in a CH Bike motor does them all day long. Hands on experience just is not replaceable! One Toyota front wheel drive CV seals I did involved a long 1''x1'' stick of wood with small piece of 1''x1'' wood on the end the size of the seal. Then Hammer time.. That was ten years ago in my front yard seals working perfect to this day. One of those seals Ya' just can't reach.

My point being is a hammer and finesse is just peachy. I can't count how many times I used old bearing races and a hammer to get new bearings put in. Very common practice. Sure some stuff is more delicate. A impact gun has hammer mechanize built in it that's how it gets all that torque.

You don't take a wrench in your hand at a tight space and pull all hard on it. That's how one gets the surprise of missing skin on there knuckles! Its a well placed firm hold and a well calculated jerk to it kinda like the shock of a hammer or a impact wrench. Nothing can really replace hands on experience with mechanics!

I have invented quirky stuff just to get things done. Whole mess off PVC pipe pieces etc. They make a tool for everything. But none replaces the Human mind. Adapt and over come..:balloon2:

Some time ago i was talking to a guy in a small engines shop about small single cylinder Chinese stationary engines, regarding their quality as compared to Honda or Subaru-Robin.

He mentioned 3 companies that make good quality units comparable to both Japanese manufacturers in the following order; the best, second best and third best was:

1) Loncin
2) Lifan
3) Ducar

If our happy time engines were made in the Loncin factory, we would all be commenting on the impressive quality and engine life span.

Fabian

Some time ago i was talking to a guy in a small engines shop about small single cylinder Chinese stationary engines, regarding their quality as compared to Honda or Subaru-Robin.

He mentioned 3 companies that make good quality units comparable to both Japanese manufacturers in the following order; the best, second best and third best was:

1) Loncin
2) Lifan
3) Ducar

If our happy time engines were made in the Loncin factory, we would all be commenting on the impressive quality and engine life span.

Fabian

While I am not familiar with Ducar, I am familiar with Loncin and Lifan. Both make a heckuva good copy of Honda's classic small horizontal motorcycle engine. (I own a Lifan motorcycle) Another good manufacturer of small engines in China is Zongshen, another favorite with the go-kart and minibike crowd.

We have to remember that before the HT engines were imported here (Thanks Don Grube!), they were built by peasants for peasants.

If the HT got a little QC love and a good die casting facility, it might survive another couple of years (with current EPA regs) until they are regulated out of existence. So that's why nobody wants to make the investment needed for long term viability I suppose.

There is a lot of buzz about the quality of the PK80J engine, but I don't see PowerKingshop on eBay is selling any more HT engines. Am I missing something?

Yea...this is one of the many reason I hate unions and how they feel they're soooooo special, that they make foreign outsourcing a must if there demands arent met lol.

things keep up and i might have to take that job offer in the land of Oz, removing Asbestis from buildings.

Another thing i hate is how people say the labor prices are cheap in china beause of qc being low, when thats not the case AT all.
Living expenses are low, EVERYONE recieves funding from the state. Honestly China is the ideal communist country, only downfall i view right now is there restrictions on families and how many children they have. I have a few friends that are now in China and Thailand as teachers and quality control for US labor outsourcing, they love it. One decided not to come back.

Ummmm....kinda glossed over the whole oppresive regime and suppresion of religion didn't you.

Back to the point, I saw nothing wrong with driving a seal in with a hammer and seal driver. Never thought a video of a guy driving a seal would lead to an endorsement of a communist regime and opression of free speech.

If I had a hammer,
I'd hammer in the morning,
I'd hammer in the evening,
All over this land,
I'd hammer out danger,
I'd hammer out a warning,
I'd hammer out love between,
My brothers and my sisters,
All over this land.

If I had a bell,
I'd ring it in the morning,
I'd ring it in the evening,