Happy Happy Happy Time..... :-)

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by Sianelle, Jun 30, 2008.

1. Sianelle

Sianelle Guest

A mysterious big box was delivered to me this morning and inside was a 70cc Gen II Happy Time engine by Faygo. :grin::grin::grin:
    Ooooooooo it's lovely and cute. I wonder if I feed it and look after it carefully whether it will grow. I want to take it to bed and cuddle it xxxxxxxx

It's much smaller and more compact than my Villiers engines and it must only weigh around 1/3rd as much. They're quite an attractive little engine too. Nicely classic looking and it should match my elderly English bicycle frames quite nicely. My plan to investigate whether a HT type engine can be adapted to 'traction avant' duty is still very much alive and soon, very soon, practical experiments shall begin.

Um.... I think I shall start to save for another one now. A 48cc one this time should be very nice......

2. jared3377

jared3377 Member

VERY NICE!!! I can't wait to see the pics!!! :grin:

3. azbill

azbill Active Member

it might be cute, and tiny, but...
    the engineering is nothing compared to your Villiers :(

4. Sianelle

Sianelle Guest

I read a bedtime story to it from the Villiers manual every night and I make it watch 'The World's Fastest Indian' at least once a week. Hopefully this will be a good influence on my brand new engine and it will try to behave as a good engine should.

5. JemmaUK

JemmaUK Guest

If anyone can get it to behave it'll be you - talking of the big V I saw a lovely villiers 98cc on ebay - an autocycle motor with an inline piston, not canted like on the HT's and usual 1F/2Fs

Hope you are well :) and things are better at this end apart from the money situation :)

Jemma xx

6. Sianelle

Sianelle Guest

Glad to hear things are better with you Jemma - I'll be sending you a PM soon.

7. crazeehorse

crazeehorse Member

good idea to have two kits, if you can. i should be getting my second kit this week. the whole kit is 21 lbs, so if i take a long trip, i can have an extra everything. i probably won't do that. i have had my first kit for a few months. if my bike goes down, i have to drive a 2700 lbs gas drinking 4 X 4 truck. so i want spare parts, & this is the cheapest way to go in the long run for parts, & have less down time. good luck, i hope you'll love it, like i do.

8. duivendyk

duivendyk Guest

Looks can be deceptive,you should try one out before you plonk down hard cash again.Caveat Emptor !!.This chinese cutie can't possibly be all that cuddly,encasing it in bubble wrap may be your only viable solution.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2008
  9. Sianelle

Sianelle Guest

Well you do have to cuddle them very carefully, but at least they don't snore in bed. :smile:

With this engine I also ordered a spare sprocket and mounting kit. There has been some discussion on the forum about the Chinese habit of shrinking the quality in order to make more profit. Interestingly the sprocket that came with the Gen II engine was plain and un-dished and the spare sprocket is more brightly finished and dished. An example of 'shrinking quality' in action methinks.
    I fully intend to check all the kit nuts and bolts very carefully and if I'm not happy with them I'll replace them with proper high tensile engineer's bolts.
    When I came to fit the Chinese made axle to my Hercules roadster bicycle when I was building up my electricly assisted untility tricycle, I found I had to replace all the kit bolts with something more serious. I don't know what the kit bolts were made from, but I don't think it was anything I'd call steel.
    http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa276/Sianelleofavelorn/AnniesHerculesTrikeRear.jpg

10. crazeehorse

crazeehorse Member

i broke an engine mount stud, after a week, it helps to get some 6 mm X 1.5 threaded rod,or long bolts , i keep a couple in my tool kit,nuts, washers ,4 of each , a small bolt extractor & a small drill bit to match the extractor. but i only had to replace the one. but the key is to be prepared right.

11. jared3377

jared3377 Member

12. BoltsMissing

BoltsMissing Active Member

The only one who can get a HT to NOT spit the dummy is you Sianelle !

One of the quality checks to do, is remove the ball bearing from where the clutch bucking bar is situated, (the clutch lever side, after you have removed the cover) and check the ball bearing for case hardness by atempting to scratch the surface of the ball bearing with a file. If the bearing is scratched by the file, then replace the bearing. Or replace it anway just to be sure.

You can also case harden the bucking bar with heat and cooling in engine oil, preferbly fosil based oils.
    And do the same with the tip of the clutch lever where it cams/pushes the bucking bar.
    So it's 3 things to check for case hardness,
    Ball Bearing, Bucking bar and Clutch Lever tip at Bucking Bar end.

And finaly, where the lever rotates in the cover, that hole is missing a bush, preferbly brass oil absorbing bush, similar to what they use in automotive dynamo armatures, or used to.
    Where they sell bearings, they sell those bushes and you may need to dremel out the hole in the cover to fit the bush, so the lever rod fits snugly inside the bush, eliminating unessecsary wear on the alloy cast cover.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2008
  13. Sianelle

Sianelle Guest

Thankyou very much for the advice Bolts :grin: I shall certainly check out the clutch operating mech as you suggest.

I own 2 Chinese home market 28 inch wheeled bicycles, a 'Wu Yang' and a 'Phoenix'. So far I've discovered that my HT engine will fit neither of them out of the box without having to mess about quite a bit. This discovery has served to warn me to not to attempt to rush any part of any motorising project I may attempt this Winter.
    Tomorrow I have to go down to the township and the one big advantage of living in a rural dairy farming district is that between the milking machine parts dealers, and the tractor dealers and the local engineer's supply stores I can get all kinds of wee interesting thingummys for holding stuff together.

I must get some brazing rod..... and fill my gas bottles.... and get some more MIG wire..... And check out the scrap steel pile at the Ministry of Works depot.... and.....

14. duivendyk

duivendyk Guest

Good point,the additional advantage of encasing this malconstuction in bubble wrap is that you won't be tempted to mess with it anymore, and proceed with mounting that large sprocket on the SA hub.You seem to have a surfeit of interesting and possibly cuddly junk around that distracts you.Formulate a plan of attack,make up a PERT chart and proceed to excecute it

15. Sianelle

Sianelle Guest

Hum..... you could be right. :???:

I've decided to put the HT on my Chinese built 'Phoenix' and not the 'Wu Yang' because the rotten nasty little engine went and scratched my Wu Yang's immaculate paint. The Phoenix is old and tatty and an ex-rickshaw tractor so it should be a better test vehicle for the HT.

Never fear one of my proper well brought up English bicycles shall indeed get their Villiers engine. If nothing else it should make an interesting contrast when it comes to comparing the two motorised bicycles.

16. Sianelle

Sianelle Guest

http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa276/Sianelleofavelorn/PipeClamp.jpg

This is a stainless steel pipe clamp/pipe mounting thingy which I purchased today from the milking machine dealers this morning. They've got alsorts of amazing pipe mountings and clamps which I reckon would be right corker for all kinds of bicycle based projects. Only problem is that in stainless steel they can be a wee bit expensive, but then on the other hand you're not likely to need very many for any one project.
    What I like about clamp type methods of assembly is that it doesn't involve any structual welding or hole drilling on a frame. When dealing with classic era frames this is a big advantage since the last thing I want to do is mess them up.

17. crazeehorse

crazeehorse Member

the mount in the top pic. on this page is a good mount system. add some rubber washers between the engine, & adapter plate, then put a rubber hose around your seat post for the rear clamp cushion, to make a sweet, vibration free mount.
    http://zbox.com.au/innovations.htm

Last edited: Jul 3, 2008
  18. Sianelle

Sianelle Guest

That's a very tidy mount, - thanks for the link :grin:

19. duivendyk

duivendyk Guest

I completely agree,don't mess around with frames if you can help it,resilient clamping is the way to go.Can allways be undone too if things don't work out