Clutch Happy Time clutch assemblies are horrible!

Discussion in 'Transmission / Drivetrain' started by Simonator, Dec 10, 2008.

1. Simonator

Simonator Guest

Well, they wouldn't be too bad if the flywheel bearing assembly had a seal and were packed with grease! After a few thousand miles the bearings wear out and they start to fall out and jam up between parts. my bike is currently down because of that problem. I removed the cover from the clutch case and found several beat up ball bearings in there. That can also break the teeth on the flywheel and crank gears. I guess we can't complain too much. The going rate of these kits are so cheap now that I call them disposable motors!

2. srdavo

srdavo Active Member

josh....dude.....

that's gotta be a 1st!

I've been around these things for a long while... I have never seen that failure.

DANG...I wish we had a prize for ya..... cos you win!! :p

seriously....that s*cks.

but it's still a first.....although, it seems, someone took the clutch gear assembly apart & a s*** load of tiny ball bearings went everywhere.

yup...you win!! :p

I have a clutch assembly...pads & all...in good shape, if you need it. maybe we can share pics... to see if my stuff is what you need. hopefully there is no more damage...we should talk.
    :)

3. Simonator

Simonator Guest

I could definitely use it. If you can sell it to me alot cheaper than a new unit, and have it shipped to me fast then send me a PM. Thanks.

4. Skyliner70cc

Skyliner70cc Active Member

I've got 3 bottom ends of engines. Make me a crazy offer plus shipping and you can have 1 or all 3.

5. srdavo

srdavo Active Member

prolly a good deal.

..I just went out to look at mine...& it sounds kinda dry when I spin it...sorta gravelly........ how would ya go about lubing it.....without punching the pins out & watching the bearings go away.... everywhere..??
    you can't go nuts with lube, in there...or you'll grease up your clutch pads....not cool.
    sorry Josh... My stuff won't help ya for very many miles.

6. Simonator

Simonator Guest

WHen mine first started giving me problems I sprayed it out the best i could with brake cleaner. Then I put a few drops of oil in there. IT worked for a little while but not long. Maybe a couple hundred miles...

7. srdavo

srdavo Active Member

the brake cleaner prolly dried it out, more than the few drops of oil could replace.
    sorry...my stuff won't get ya very far down the road.

8. Simonator

Simonator Guest

That my be what caused the problem. The motor had a leaky crank seal so it kept oiling up the pads. I was constantly spraying the clutch assembly with brake cleaner instead of replacing the seal. That must have dried up the bearings real good.....

9. I did mine with a grease gun and a grease needle, gets the grease into the tight spot.....

10. wavygravy

wavygravy Guest

i thought the clutch was the best part of a happytime! they out last top ends most of the time!

11. Skyliner70cc

Skyliner70cc Active Member

Unfortunately, this is so true.

12. Simonator

Simonator Guest

Well, It happened again! I bought a brand new dax engine a few weeks ago. I put about 150 miles on it and the clutch fell apart again!! All the ball bearings came out it AGAIN! This time I KNOW I am not to blame. I bought the motor brand new and never touched the clutch! I don't understand it!!!

13. skjjoe

skjjoe Member

wow i think id call duane on that one he may replace it free

14. spad4me

spad4me Member

There are three places to grease a happy time clutch.
    1 where the drive chain goes. A ball and pin (Chinese through out bearing.)

2 Where the clutch spring actually lives.
    remove the bolt, and clutch cable end holder from under the carb. Use a grease gun to fill this spot up. It also greases the bearing that is failing on you.

3 the pea sized blob for the gears in the clutch housing.

I just reminded my self I need to re-grease my clutch.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2009
  15. skjjoe

skjjoe Member

can you post a diagram or pics of this.. I am getting ready for a build on a new dax

16. cooltoy

cooltoy Member

Would this not call for removing the thingy that holds the clutch cable to the engine block and putting grease into the block, greasing the bearing on the clutch as well as the other one behind the sprocket?

17. hill climber

hill climber Member

spad4me. #2 is not what bearings they are talking about. this is forgotten by most people though. you are right it does lube the jack shaft bearings, which cause alot of noise, but not the clutch. to lube the clutch, remove it with the tool that came with your kit, on the back is a small hole, grease gun with a pin tip, put a smll amount in this hole and re-install. once you start you bike centrifical force will spread it.

cooltoy, yes this does meen removing the cable stay. this should be done regularlly until it wont take any more grease. this will not grease the clutch though, but should quiet it down considerably.
    the clutch must be lubed at the clutch, no way around it.
    hill climber

18. cooltoy

cooltoy Member

Thanks Hillclimber, just so I understand, filling the block with grease through the hole created by removing the "cable stay" (not thingy) is good but you still have to remove the clutch to get grease into the bearing on the clutch side?
    Learn something every day!

19. hill climber

hill climber Member

the clutch can not be greased by this hole. there are 2 bearings on the clutch/sprocket shaft. they both get greased through this hole. the clutch assembly has bearings in it also. your clutch is three plates. a fly wheel, this is furthest in against the block. the preasure plate, part nearest you when you remove the clutch cover on the side of the motor. and the friction disk, center part that actually holds the friction pucks. ok. between the fly wheel and the fricton plate there is a bucket load of tiny little ball bearings that just ride in a groove in each plate. these go dry and grind away. there is a hole in the fly wheel to lube these but you must remove the clutch from the shaft to get to it.
    hill climber

20. cooltoy

cooltoy Member

I am so glad I read this thread, wow, I never knew that. I drove my last bike for over a year without doing any more than adjust my clutch twice and a spark plug.
    I'll wait until I ride the bike for a month or so and will then do all of the above.
    I can picture the ball bearings you mention, it's much like our wheel "bearings". No wonder we get such a racket coming from our clutch side.