happytime question from dumb n00b

Discussion in '2-Stroke Engines' started by popeye, May 26, 2011.

1. popeye

popeye Member

hi im popeye im newish on the forum and i have a possibly silly question if any one could help me with it id be gratefull,

a lot of the problems with the ht engines seem to be caused by not having a liner in the cylinder and generally poor casting / machining so as i have a friend who works in a machine shop could i not buy a ht engine take off the top end and have it copied in alu. billet with an oversized cylinder to accept a tougher liner? it sounds like it could work but im far from sure any thoughts?
    popeye:idea:eek:r:dunce:

2. motorpsycho

motorpsycho Active Member

why would you want to do that?
    the cost of the billet and the time to copy / design the cylinder would be way more than buying two 2 stroke engines. you would still have to put a liner in the cylinder which would also be expensive.
    I would just buy one h.t. engine, and when it craps out, go buy another one.
    these are throw away engines.

3. popeye

popeye Member

i was just wondering really as i said ive a friend who is a machine setter and operator got access to anything you could wish for, i just saw a big cc conversion kit for a friends scooter and there seemed to be not a lot to it and thought maybe you could do the same with a ht as it would be a more simple piece there by negating the quality control issues and being trick as a very trick thing, but i suppose your right at a hundred and fifty sovs its a chukaway i just thought maybe doing that would make it bullit proof for another half a ton or so, never mind this is how you learn innit?
    thanx for your time motorpsycho,
    popeye

4. geebt48cc

geebt48cc Member

Ok, Ok, Ok, but, just remember where it's made!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!~

Glen