happytime question from dumb n00b

Discussion in '2-Stroke Engines' started by popeye, May 26, 2011.

1. popeye

popeye Member

hi im popeye im newish on the forum and i have a possibly silly question if any one could help me with it id be gratefull,

a lot of the problems with the ht engines seem to be caused by not having a liner in the cylinder and generally poor casting / machining so as i have a friend who works in a machine shop could i not buy a ht engine take off the top end and have it copied in alu. billet with an oversized cylinder to accept a tougher liner? it sounds like it could work but im far from sure any thoughts?

2. motorpsycho

motorpsycho Active Member

why would you want to do that?
    the cost of the billet and the time to copy / design the cylinder would be way more than buying two 2 stroke engines. you would still have to put a liner in the cylinder which would also be expensive.
    I would just buy one h.t. engine, and when it craps out, go buy another one.
    these are throw away engines.
  3. popeye

popeye Member

i was just wondering really as i said ive a friend who is a machine setter and operator got access to anything you could wish for, i just saw a big cc conversion kit for a friends scooter and there seemed to be not a lot to it and thought maybe you could do the same with a ht as it would be a more simple piece there by negating the quality control issues and being trick as a very trick thing, but i suppose your right at a hundred and fifty sovs its a chukaway i just thought maybe doing that would make it bullit proof for another half a ton or so, never mind this is how you learn innit?
    thanx for your time motorpsycho,
  4. geebt48cc

geebt48cc Member

Ok, Ok, Ok, but, just remember where it's made!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!~