harbor freight bmp

berdss

Local time
9:44 PM
I was reading that someone tried to use a harbor freight water pump engine with a BMP friction drive. I did not see the end as to weather or not it worked and what was required to make it work. If anyone has this info I would greatly appreitiate any help as I would like to get one. THANX

Best of my understanding is HF engines need to have a variable carb on then because the are set up to be self governed w/o throttle control...

I guess you have to get a different carb for them to work?

I did not recall anyone saying anything about the carb also being a problem. THANX Did you see any of the other quetions answered too?

G'day & welcome to MBc.
The problem is with the clutch.If u get the engine with water pump u need to seperately buy the clutch pack...if u buy the engine with auger bit the clutch pack is included.The pack itself is only relatively cheap & HF also sells that.
@Porkchop is the member to PM about all this.

I just happened to run across this. Yes, the water pump engine will work with very minimal upgrade. Less than $10.00 in parts. I read something about the carb not working. That's not true in my case. No problems. Also, the pump has been discontinued. I still see them on the shelf in my local store. I'm sure it's left over stock. This kit is way cheaper than purchasing the auger, which is where my first engine came from. I had the auger for about 2 years before I got nto motored bikes. I didn't buy it just for the engine. There are places where you can get the same engine with the clutch already installed for about $120.00. Get in touch if you're still interested and need info.

Last edited:
Yes, very powerful engine, propely broken in will rev and pull heavy a** at 9000 RPM WOW !!! works great with BMP kit but you need a clutch.

If you buy it from other sources than HF make sure you have warranty or return option, some people on this board were burned by
a vendor selling those "new" "as is" and some of them turned to be a dude.

Then you are screwed.

The clutch is a standard 76mm or 78mm, whatever, I don't remember the exact. But it is a standard 2 shoe centrifugal clutch. There are many, many vendors that sell them. eBay is covered with them. You can probably buy them at local lawn and garden equipment stores, Northern Tool or where ever. There's nothing sacred about the clutches. Standard stuff. They're cheap, like $2.50 at Harbor Freight with maybe 4 or 5 dollars shipping, but they're shipping takes about 6-8 weeks. Andy in the previous reply is right about a powerful engine. At least they are for something as small as they are. My total weight, myself and bike combined is about 280-300 ppounds. no problem even pulling moderate hills. My Harbor Freight 50cc will outperform my Honda GX35 in all aspects. Go figure !

Last edited:
Porkchop, The Honda is 4 stroke and the HF engine is 2 stroke. Typically you can get more Horse Power from a 2 stroke per cc. I was working for a machine shop that ported Yamaha KT100 motors for go cart racers, they got 34 HP out of that motor on the dyno !!! imagine that on you motor bike !!

I know and agree. But there's also a saying "There's no replacement for cubic inch displacement". The HF engine has about .6 more horsepower than the Honda. That's a big deal when we're talking about 1-3 horse power engines to start with. Not knockng Honda. I'm sure they're good engine and will probably outlast my China engine by a long shot. Sometimes I just like expressing what I know first hand to maybe help others with making their decesions. As far as 34 hp on a bicycle, FORGET IT ! I like living to much ! Fastest I've had my bike is 32 mph. That's to fast for my bike. It gets very unstable.

Imagine 34 HP and speeds reaching 75 MPH and 2 inches separating your backside from asphalt on a racing cart. What a rush.... maybe to the hospital if you crash !!! LOL
Seriously you are correct, fractions of a horsepower make a huge difference in our hobby. (and since we are limited with 50CC's and 2 HP (most states) anything less is very noticeable)
i love the power of my motor and the power upgrade options that are available. (according to what website you look at, I am already near or over 2 hp limit)

Last edited:
Back