Harbor Freight Engines

Porkchop

Local time
2:12 PM
I was at Harbor Freight within the past hour. They have a gasoline engine powered water pump for about $130.00.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=66585

It looked at it and it appears to be the very same engine that's on their auger that sells for about $200.00, just a different color. There are a few sites that sell the same engine starting at about $120.00 and most of them are sold out. Not plugging HF, just posting a heads up for anyone that might be considering this engine. Don't forget about the 20% discount coupons you can get on line. That'll bring the price down to about $104.00

B.T.W.,Monster scooter parts also has this engine with the clutch for 132.00 shipped,

BTW. Looked up the PDF manual for the auger. It LOOKS like the parts needed to add a clutch to the pump motor are: 33, 34, 35, 36, & 37.

Code:
Item  Desc                Qty
33    Washer (B)          2
34    Return Spring       1
35    Flexible Piece      2
36    Washer              2
37    Screw               2

#35 is the actual clutch pad & 2 are needed.
Man, I was about to go to the manual and get all this info to post. Glad I read your next post with this info.
Thanks ! Good job ! And I picked up on the fact later today that the clutch is labeled as part #35 and you need 2 of them. I don't know how you get the spring on and off though. I can't pull the clutch shoes apart. That spring is big time strong. I'm sure there's an easy way to do it, especially if you have the correct tool. I was wrong on the termonology for #35. You got it correct.

I may have used a pair of needle nose pliers when i took my Tecumseh apart and,they may have been weaker springs.

I figured to ship to me the clutch would be 24.00 .quite a bit more than the complete unit from H.F. Hard to believe six weeks to ship from H.F. website.:mad:
Wilbur, where did you get that price ? Cick on the link below, it should take you to HF's shipping rates. Shouldn't run more than 7 or 8 dollars to ship 2 or 3 clutches. According to their parts diagram and folks on the phone, the clutches are purchased by single shoes. The price is $2.34 per shoe. Thats $4.68 for a pair of shoes that make up one complete clutch. There parts diagram is a little tricky. If you order frm them, make sure you've got ti right. don't want to wait 6-8 weeks and then only get part of what you need.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/aboutus.taf?f=terms

B.T.W.,Monster scooter parts also has this engine with the clutch for 132.00 shipped,
Absolutely correct. but if you're like me, not in a hurry and don't mind doing a little prep work, are a little mechanically inclined and have an assortment of tools, it's worth it to me do save the 25-30 dollars, there about, after it's all said and done. I'm also one of those that like to know what makes things tick. Seems to me that if I know what's inside and how it works and what it does and how it's supposed to work, it makes fixes a little easier. Now I know how that pump works, what's inside it and how many pieces are going to hit the floor when you open the case !

The 24.00 price was to ship the clutch shoes and spring from monsterscooter.

Beaudry and I both have looked at that site at the clutch. We tink it will probably work. Only one way to find out. I guess someboby's gonna have to purchase one and let us know ! Me personally, I don't have anything to mount another motor on right now. No bike, no mounting kit. So it's no big deal to me right now as far as waiting on info or parts. I am going to contact HF tomorrow and see about ordering at least 2 clutches. From what I saw of my clutch and drum on my bike today after I took it all aprat, it looks like the clutch is going to last for a while unless someting strange happens. My bike has about 100 miles on it now. Clutch and drum look A.O.K. to me. As cheap as they are and I'm in no hurry, I'm going to order a couple for extras to have on hand if and when I need one !

Beaudry!!,you are the man.B.M.P. has the bolts listed as 6mmx1inchx40 and, the spacers are 7/8 inches long.So, these need to be a little shorter right by 1/4 to1/5 inch.I can always cut them .I have air tools.
Wilbur, I'm the one that posted the thread about the bolt lengths. And yes, you go it. Like I said, I did not do much if any measuring today. But whatever the screw/bolt lengths are that came with the mounting kit from BMP, buy some that 1/4" shorter, some that are 3/8" shorter and 1/2" shorter. I'm pretty sure on of those lengths will work just fine. It'll be trial and error until you find the one that fits the best. I'd use the longest ones that go through without hitting the rotor/flywheel on the other side. I was to Lowe's last week looking for spacers to mount another fuel tank on my bike. I only found plastic/nylon ones. They would probably work as we on the engine mounting. They were not overly expensive.

The 24.00 price was to ship the clutch shoes and spring from monsterscooter.
Thanks ! Now I know ! Won't have to call them tomorrow. You're on the right track here. If your not careful you'll end up with as much money invested in getting this pump motor ready to go as you wold if you just paid a little more for the engine from monsterscooter. For 10 or 15 dollars difference, I'd just buy the engine ready to go with clutch and all. I think monster is about the only place I've found that actually has any of these engines. Everone else is sold out !

Hi Guys!.I caled the second H.F. in my area and they have one motor left.O.T.D. price to me is 86.40 .They said they will hold for me for 24hrs.It may not be a bad idea to get two clutches being they are so cheap.The springs and friction surfaces will wear out after awhile ,I think.I forgot P.C. what is the size of the tank and possible miles per gallon on this engine?.Great Legwork to all.You guys ROCK!!!:D

Wilbur, the web site says it's a 1 liter tank. I just fnished putting the last of my 1st gallon of premix in mine. I hac problems with the computer on my bike resettng it's self. I have since put a new one on. I thik i'm probabl;y getting getting around 20 - 25 miles per tank ansd somewhere aroun 80-110 miles per gallon. I haven't really check it out since I got a stable computer. Anyway, I just received a 96 ounce tank today. I bought one off eBay last week, mounted it on my bike to find out it leaked like a son of a gun. Got my replacement today. Hope this helps. But yes, although these little motors get good milage, they don't hold much fuel to start with.

Last edited:
Back