Harbor Freight Predator 79cc 4 stroke shift kit build (reference)

Status
Not open for further replies.
He has had it for at least a year since his first video was a year ago. True he could really tidy up this build to make it look nice but I was just impressed by the fact that one, he has no costly retail transmission which I feel are real dogs for Predator builds and two, he made his own jack shaft and I think the derailleur is custom too that 1st gear is over-sized. Pedaling off the line is a matter of perspective... Remember some of us still think of these motors as motor-assist and not full blown mopeds or motorcycles ;)

I mean getting a shift kit on most bikes is something I think you would appreciate.

It helps keep the motor RPMs down and thus prolong the motor and I mean it is just so much more fun to shift.

If I were to make another build, I would want to do exactly this (mebe 212cc if I'm gutsy) but of course I will try to make it a little less Mad Max-ish. :D

Hehehe ya, I agree bud, it is damn fun to shift an MB and have a new gear range, especially with good power. Shifters is about all I am building these days, I am just getting more performance from low power mostly legal engines is all, and for me and my business here in Phoenix, it's a big hit ;-}

Hehehe ya, I agree bud, it is damn fun to shift an MB and have a new gear range, especially with good power. Shifters is about all I am building these days, I am just getting more performance from low power mostly legal engines is all, and for me and my business here in Phoenix, it's a big hit ;-}
I looked at your bikes and found that you are advertising your HF engine as "86/88cc HF Predator ". Have you modified the engine so much as to add 7-9cc to it? If so, what were the the changes?

I looked at your bikes and found that you are advertising....
I don't know where you looked but it must be a dated page, I am not advertising any parts for sale, I have no parts for sale, especially engine kits.

I wanted to produce and sell my 10G's along with some other parts, I had the space and money last year (2016), but all that abruptly ended with my sons tragedy last October.

I have some custom unique parts left, I am just going to use them to build a couple things I can NET a Grand on to get the bills caught up (damn vampire medical bill collectors).

This next bike will be the ultimate Cubs fan 4-stroke shifter.
The Cubs are just starting Spring Training HERE.
I should be able to have at least one bike done before training games are over.

Last edited:
I don't know where you looked but it must be a dated page, I am not advertising any parts for sale, I have no parts for sale, especially engine kits.

I wanted to produce and sell my 10G's along with some other parts, I had the space and money last year (2016), but all that abruptly ended with my sons tragedy last October.

I have some custom unique parts left, I am just going to use them to build a couple things I can NET a Grand on to get the bills caught up (damn vampire medical bill collectors).

This next bike will be the ultimate Cups fan 4-stroke shifter.

I am not referring to parts. I am referring to this bike's engine: http://kcsbikes.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=884

I am not referring to parts. I am referring to this bike's engine: http://kcsbikes.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=884
Ahh, I remember that build, it ended up with an HF 79cc so it's listed wrong on my page, but I bought that bike to put this 86/88cc engine in:

452168526_o.jpg

http://www.pccmotor.com/88cc-86cc-motor-engine-for-honda-crf50-xr50-c8886505050.html

I just bought that engine on a whim for something different to try.

My build topic for what to with that engine is here.
http://kcsbikes.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=721

It was way too much engine (6.2hp@7200rpm) for a regular bicycle frame so I put it in a frame that could handle it, a Motorcycle frame... with pedals.

2_MotoPedDoneR-1280.jpg

I am happy with just getting the most out of little 'legal' engines now ;-}

This next bike will be the ultimate Cubs fan 4-stroke shifter.
A Cubs tribute bike would be very cool! I might be able entice my Lawyer die hard Cub fan step-son.

HOT DOG!! You guys just woke me up!!

hi pablo. so what are your thoughts on this guy's build. he is using the SBP freewheel but the jackshaft is custom it seems. do you guys have a jackshaft capable of handling the 3hp from the Predator 79cc engine (from cent clutch, no transmission)?

hi pablo. so what are your thoughts on this guy's build. he is using the SBP freewheel but the jackshaft is custom it seems. do you guys have a jackshaft capable of handling the 3hp from the Predator 79cc engine (from cent clutch, no transmission)?

3HP shouldn't be a huge problem for any part, let alone the jackshaft. But if you are asking about a kit, no we don't have a suitable kit. Maybe now the demand will grow again - but in the meantime, a huge part of our customer base are people who buy parts from us, and frankly this segment continues to grow.

Oh and I can get Jim to respond for some better technical feedback.

OK Pablo you got me off the couch, well not really. We certainly could make this happen. I just question what the popularity of a HF 79cc or 212cc motor is. I mean yes they are inexpensive but by the time you rig them up, they are not inexpensive anymore. Besides they all look a little unkept, and I'm trying to be nice here. It is one thing to make something that works with your own hands. That certainly is a feat that should be applauded. But to create something that anyone can purchase and install that looks sick right out of the box, now that is a bit more difficult.

Let me as this. Is a centrifugal clutch what everyone wants? What if one created a manual clutch, belt drive that was really narrow so you don't have to pedal bow legged. Is that something that would interest people? Oh and it could fit just about every 4 stroke. Oh and have different ratios available. Is that appealing to anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back