Hard Rubbish collection pics

Discussion in 'Photos & Bicycle Builds' started by BoltsMissing, Jun 12, 2008.

1. BoltsMissing

BoltsMissing Active Member

Since I got the USB cable sorted for my new phone, (Thanks to customer service at Crazy Johns Phones, saved me $50, they gave me a cable.)
    I had to practice and work out how this USB thing works, to get the pics from the fone to the PC.

So I'll start my Album thread with something that startled me on the day.
    I don't know which blessing to count, but I seem to have all these bikes to fix.
    Some are ladies bikes and there are 2 who want motors on these frames someday soon.
    So I have a bit of a challenge to figure this out and all of a sudden I seem to be busy. Fortunately I have the loan of a garage/workshop and it has a drill press and some electric tools.
    Still much of my work is with basic tools and nothing fancy.

How do I get rust off old chains ?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 12, 2008

2. ozzyu812

ozzyu812 Member

PB Blaster?
  3. BoltsMissing

Ricardo-3 Speed

This bike I will be looking forward to do, I've started by adding a Sturmey Archer internal 3 Speed Hub and it has 2 new white wall tires.
    This build is ongoing.

The Ricardo is something I want to motor-build special with as many features as possible, such as dynamo-lights etc.

Attached Files:

4. BoltsMissing

What's a PB Blaster ?

I read somewhere there is this solvent, I think it works like this other product called Tarn Off, but it's one of these home made solvents you mix things up with normal household liquids.
    It is suppose to get right into the guts of anything surface rusted and much cheaper than buying all these expensive liquids.
  5. Ghost0

Ghost0 Guest

Automatic Transmission Fluid works real well on old chains. It removes the rust and lubricates at the same time. Just soak it for a couple of days.
  6. turkeyssr

turkeyssr Guest

Why don't you buy a new chain at Wally world? They're only about $8, and by the time you spend money (and mess) on any other option, you'll at least end up even.
    Just my $.02

7. I take some used motor oil and I git it in there for about a week or two.
    And yes,there is a science to all this.
    Used Motor Oil has like these deposits and like.. um... acid,man. That acid from the engine that you don't want that's why you change your oil see,is the stuff that's gonna attack that rust and then like over time it's gonna look cool.
    Then you collect this stuff till it's full enough for the collection agency.
    The fresher the used motor oil the better for the acid is still suspended within the oil. Oil that has sat for a while is cold and the acids have settled on the bottom... I guess you can stir it up though.
    How does acid form in the oil? By the spent gasses from the combustion chamber. It's not really acid per say. It's burnt fuel.
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 12, 2008
  8. kjparker

kjparker Member

wow, that's all from Kerb collections?

say, you wouldnt have any 26 inch fenders spare would you? :)
  9. miletwo

miletwo Member

What do we do with all our perfectly good (but needing a little love) stuff that we throw out because "bought a new one at wally world?" I know! PUT IT IN A LANDFILL!

C'mon folks... let's save the planet one rusty chain at a time. Instead of throwing everything away that needs a squirt of oil and some wiggling.. how about fixing it and letting the **** in Wally World stay there.

My $.02

p.s. Wanna see why I get so bummed about stuff like this.. see: http://www.storyofstuff.com/
  10. BoltsMissing

Each bikes has it's own individual rusted chain, some chains don't match all sprockets. Like the Sturmey Archer 3 Speed hub for example, I had to use the original chain from the bike the hub came from, which was infact my old 24" school bike.
    Thanks Ghost, I'v'e heard of that before, I think I read it here, "best kept secret" or something.

Yeah I have to go do some checking as see what happens. Restoring is interesting to and there is "old school" quality under that rust, so it seems.

Thanks Large, does that include diesal oi ?l
    cos I can get heaps of used diesal sump oil, almost a daily supply.
    BTW your famous chain tensionor method is now on a 2nd motoredbike.
    I mean the orginal 1st build I made, that 27" bike is no more. But the motor etc has been transferred over to a 26" frame,wheels, that way I have brakes on both wheels. I reckon I've done approx. 1000 miles and it's still good for another #? miles.

Actually not all are hard rubbish, some I paid for, but cheap.
    The Ricardo I paid $30, but it had a Sanyo bottle type dynamo, has since seized when I fitted this on a motoredbike.
    No guards yet, but I'll lket ya know.

Yeah I think the word is sustainable goods and products and haggle to get them at a price that is justifiable.
    The other day I was browsing at our local hardware store, they got big buying power.
    In one of the ailes was this plastic box all decked out like it was something special. So I looked to see what it was and it was a case full of disposable batteries and a torch. Sold for something like $15. Nowhere was any endorsed Value for a re-chargable torch except one of those wind up types in the gimmick section. Sure, they got rechargable torches with proper mains batery charger, but it's priced out of reach to justify it's true cost to produce.

We finally got the ute backed in the driveway to the shed.

Attached Files:

11. ozzyu812

ozzyu812 Member

12. BoltsMissing

13. dbigkahunna

dbigkahunna Guest

If the little lady(or man) has some lamp oil, even scented, it makes a fine cleaner. It is high grade kerosene and I have found it at the dollar store for, uh a dollar for a quart. Cheaper than any of the real solvents and their primary ingreadent is kerosene. Add a few ounces of marvel mystery oil to the lamp oil and you have dandy penetrating oil
  14. losenup

losenup Member

U dont geet rust of an old chain, you throw the chain away, and buy a new one.
    Otherwise the chain will wear down the sprockets.

If your thinking of the enviroemnt you should not use any detergents, oil or whatever pollutant to clean the chain.

It alls about the money. But in this case the most affordable and smart thing to do is to buy a new one.
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2008
  15. miletwo

miletwo Member

Huh? How does a chain "wear down" a sprocket? As to getting rust off of a chain, that's absolutely possible. I'm restoring a 1975 Toyota Landcruiser and I get rust off of it in a number of ways. Electrolysis would work great on the chain, but any number of mild acids would do the same thing. Just flash the rust off, then oil her up. Like new.
  16. sjackson

sjackson Member

An old rusty chain will actually stretch out, because it's wearing away the pins in the links. A normal chain will make contact with the entire part of the sprocket that it's wrapped around at any given time. This means the force is spread out over all those teeth. An old, worn out and stretched chain will only make contact with the upper teeth on the sprocket. This causes it to wear down the edge of the teeth into a shark fin shape. The angle of the teeth should be symmetrical on both sides. If it's not, that means your chain has been wearing down the sprocket, and also seriously torqueing the hub. If you neglect to replace your chain, it will eventually fail when a pin breaks. When you replace it with a new one, you'll find that the shark finned sprocket will actually catch on the unstretched new chain, and cause problems, forcing you to replace the sprocket.

Take a look at some of these links:

This is the easiest way to keep an eye on your chain, and avoid having to replace sprockets. Always have a spare chain or two lying around for your bikes. (Taken from one of the linked articles):

They make special tools to measure chains, but they basically do the same thing as described above.
  17. miletwo

miletwo Member

Wow! I sit corrected.

Thanks for the links.

18. sjackson

sjackson Member

No problem. I wish somebody had explained this to me before I wrecked a perfectly nice (and a bit pricey) group set on my road bike by not replacing a simple little chain. I only had about 1800 miles on it before I started having problems with my rear hub. When I took the bike in for service, they basically explained this to me.

What wore it down was the fact that when I built up the groupset piece by piece, I opted to use the chain that came with the bike, which was pretty bad quality. Add to that the fact that I was an all weather biker at the time, and it's just a recipe for short chain life.
  19. BoltsMissing

Thanks sjackson, those links are very informative.
    Makes sense cos there are some cassette gears and big sprocket gears all in very good condition.
  20. ozzyu812

ozzyu812 Member

my errors

Not totally related to rusty chains, but I felt I should share.
    I ride my bike everyday to work 5 mi. This year we had one of the worst winters in NH recorded history. I leave my bike outside because I live in 2nd apt. One day this happened (see pic). I thought it was due to metal fatigue, because it was so durn cold. But it was because the sand, I didn't take it to the car wash because as I said it was so durn cold! And I was using WD-40. 2 no-no's! I was goin to get that expensive bike chain oil, but the wife talked me into that chain oil for chainsaw chains. Been using it for 500 mi more or less with no problems.(fingers crossed)
    I got another lightly used wally world bike for $30. It had a larger front sprocket, old style caliper brakes so I could run dual rear brakes again.The forks didn't have the now useless cantilever "studs". But it had a tiny,tiny frame. I'm 6' 3". I wound up moving almost everything from the 2nd bike to the 1st. I liked it so much my XR-250 took a back seat. Now I have the e-zip so its back to being back to my #2. I do plan on putting a HT on it, for transporation "emergencies". When I get legal it may be my #1 again.

Windows update trying to restart my machine!

Attached Files: