Hard starting TLE 43

D

duivendyk

My Mitsubishi TLE 43 takes close to 10 pulls to come to life,wether on the choke or not,which at 80+ degrees makes little sense.Otherwise it runs fine.I use the starter bulb religiously so that can't be the problem.Apart from the aggravation,I am concerned that I'll wear out the recoil start.Has anyone had a similar experience ?
I've had many 2 strokes over the years,but never had starting problems like this at normal temps.These all had battery ignitions. Could it be that the magneto ignition has something to do with it?,seems unlikely.
I am tempted to try the "Jemma" approach,adding some nitromethane to the gas and see if that has the same dramatic effect as she reported.Is there any downside to doing this?

Last edited by a moderator:
Seems like this could be a gas problem -- unless your spark is weak -- have taken small engines with weak spark -- cleanned the part or parts embedded in the magneto that generate the spark -- great improvement in spark at times -- not good having to pull that cord so much -- I don't like replacing them.. Happy riding from - Mountainman

Tried reducing plug gap some,only 4 pulls,that's more like it!!.So there seems to be something to weak spark hypothesis.Magneto output proportional to (cranking) rpm !.Hard to check in open air,need widen gap to produce meaningful eqvt. conditions,how much?,good question.Subaru engines have clever scheme to limit pressure when cranking,higher speed& easier firing and are easy to start.

Are you squeezing the priming bulb under the carb before starting?

I also have a sle43 and a Subaru. I always thought the Subaru was easier to pull-start because of less compression. My SLE MIGHT start on the 2nd pull, and most likely will start on its 3rd attempt.

I had left gas w/o stabilizer in my TLE43 for several months once. (Following knee surgery.) It was hard starting until I cleaned the carb.

soooo adjusting your spark plug made some improvement.... Very interesting..... As mentioned above -- maybe some -- fresh gas and a new plug ??? Please let us know what you did -- once repaired and running strong... Happy Riding from - Mountainman

3 or 4 pulls from dead cold should be good. But I would change the plug and clean the carb, air filter and gas. Maybe run some stabil through it to clean it out before you go through the trouble of tearing the carb apart. Mine takes 2 or 3 pulls to start if its been sitting a week. After that its first pull all day.

You mean hook up carb fuel intake line to source of stabil and operate bulb to clean out carb?

My new TLE43 usually starts on the first pull after priming and choking it. If not the first pull, it will ALWAYS start on the 2nd pull.

Warner

Back