has anybody tryed glow/gas yet (no spark plug)

Discussion in '2-Stroke Engines' started by bcredneck, Jul 17, 2016.

1. bcredneck

bcredneck New Member

I've run a few chain saw /weedy engines on glow gas. (1.7parts gas 1.3 glow fuel and 20to1 castor after that) When you run this fuel you remove the ignition system and use a glow plug and D battery. The D battery is just for start up use 4 stroke glow plugs unless you want to run the battery full time Enya makes the best one for this

Once you get jetting and compression right (may need more head gaskets if pinging) you have way more power and super low idle. Starting is almost instant and if you really want to the engine will run both ways timing is now compression

2. Frankfort MB's

Frankfort MB's Well-Known Member

So if you do that it seems like it would be dieseling with that combination of parts

3. bcredneck

bcredneck New Member

kinda but the glow plugs stay hot and the methanol/alcohol/methyl hydrate reacts with the platinum in the plug under pressure and causes it to fire its a happy medium between ignition and dieseling

4. Frankfort MB's

It's a hybrid;)

5. bcredneck

bcredneck New Member

I like to run 35% nitromethane glow fuel but you gotta run 50/50 gas glow and it's 30 a gallon

6. bcredneck

bcredneck New Member

BTW if anyone wants to try you should be able to use a glow plug with E85 I'd love to try it but I live in Canada we don't have any

7. Frankfort MB's

To do e85 you have to do a lot of prior upgrades to fuel system due to the achohol.

8. bcredneck

bcredneck New Member

just get a brass float and use a beer box float gasket

9. bcredneck

bcredneck New Member

I have used walbro carbs with the ethanol safe kit on all the glow gas motors I've run I'll put one on my new motor too even if I run gas only

10. thats for Diesel

11. bcredneck

bcredneck New Member

no its not. Glow is totally different diesel can run off compression alone glow needs compression heat and a chemical reaction to fire

12. bcredneck

bcredneck New Member

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 17, 2016
  13. jaguar

jaguar Well-Known Member

I'd like to see a graph of ignition timing vrs RPM

14. bcredneck

bcredneck New Member

that parts really complicated to find out I do know that the timing advances over the rpm range quite a bit since the faster the piston comes up the earlyer the motor fires but at idle they fire after tdc

15. Steve Best

Steve Best Active Member

Ha! Jag, there is no ignition. It self ignites. You vary the compression and nitromethane to set the timing.
    You have to have an ear for detonation, some guys can hear it in the exhaust note and set the engine up that way.

The Army is using a kit to convert Rotex prop drone engines to burn diesel in a similar manner.
    The head has a heat holding steel ring and glow plug to get started. Sonex? I cannot remember the comany.
    Looks like this: http://articles.sae.org/9939/
    [​IMG]
    And pistons like this: http://www.gizmag.com/go/4695/
    [​IMG]
    This obviously is for a 4 stroke.
    Ah! Here it is: http://sonexresearch.com/licensing/3743059
    [​IMG]

Steve