Has anyone else been attempedily hacked?

Discussion in 'Forum Help & Suggestions' started by bikejock, Feb 28, 2015.

1. bikejock

bikejock Member

Today I received a message saying someone tried 5 failed log in attempts. I don't really count guessing the password as hacking but it somewhat qualifies as hacking. The IP address comes from somewhere in China so it obviously wasn't me trying anything on my computer or mobile devices so this was a bit scary at first but I calmed down and took a deep breath and reported the problem to motoredbikes.com and looked up the IP address in the failed log in notification I got. If any of you receive a failed log in message that wasn't because of you be aware of this IP address: [FONT=Helvetica Neue, Segoe UI, Helvetica, Arial, Lucida Grande, sans-serif] It's from some Chinese corporation building most likely filled with hackers trying to access other members personal info (or it could be a bored china man/woman pretending to be a hacker lol). So far it looks like this IP address has been blacklisted at least 12 times by other websites reporting hacks or attempted hacks. I hope this website has that IP address blacklisted. Best thing I could to was change my email to an email I don't use for anything important.[/FONT]
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2015

2. KCvale

KCvale Motorized Bicycle Vendor

Forum sites don't have anything valuable to a hacker other than to post up spam links as you.

They have a bot that just keeps trying most common passwords and hope to get lucky.
    Just use a long unique password and you'll be fine.

Top 10 most common used passwords

1. password
    2. 123456
    3. qwerty
    4. abc123
    5. letmein
    6. monkey
    7. myspace1
    8. password1
    9. blink182
    10. (your first name)
  3. bikejock

bikejock Member

Good point but a good hacker would just need an email if they ever got into anyones account if the email account is linked to anything valuable to a hacker. Also I'm not a spammer what so ever KC if you ever thought I was. I'm against spamming hacking etc. on any forum site. I myself received a spam PM from GIBSON11 so I reported it to the web developer.

All my passwords are always strong and never anything obvious or common to make it harder for the password guessers.
  4. Anton

Anton Administrator Staff Member

Yes I know about this. They are trying to get into accounts so they can PM spam links to everyone. It's just a new automated bot that some spammer has created.

I have added all the IP's I can to the block list but they are using different IP's from different subnet masks. I have also disabled the member list.

They got access to GIBSON11's account but that's all sorted now.

If you have an easy password you should UPDATE IT NOW!
  5. Anton

Please post up any IP's where the person who attempted to login was someone other than you and I will add them to the block list.
  6. KCvale

All is good, glad you got your account back ;-}
  7. bikejock

bikejock Member

Me to. Everything seems A OK now. I reset my password and changed my email so it's all good.
  8. tbucket4timmy

tbucket4timmy New Member

I got an attempt yesterday from someone in Ho Chi Minh City-the IP address is:
  9. Anton

Added the IP to the list. This is happening a lot to forums all over the web and according to the developers there is no way to stop it as yet. The login lockout is doing it's job, so I wouldn't be too concerned.

The best thing you can do is UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD to something much harder than the Top 10 most common used passwords that KCvale posted!
  10. kgyrobotron

kgyrobotron Member

Ask KC how he can get your password...
  11. KCvale

Why ask me?
    Just Google 'Top 50 most common Passwords'.
    Don't use one of them ;-}

I don't use anything under 10 characters and some look like a monkey found a keyboard.
  12. darwin

darwin Well-Known Member

Yea I changed my password. Someone tried to use my account.
    machiasmort likes this.
  13. Shrapnel

Shrapnel New Member

I know this isn't an ongoing thread at the moment, but it just happened to me. IP address was

They didn't get in during their five attempts before lockout, so I guess my password is doing OK? I haven't used the site much lately, but I am in the middle of a very slow Motoped build and being hacked could hurt my progress!
    machiasmort likes this.
  14. bikejock

bikejock Member

Always use strong passwords and you should be fine. At least they can't hack like in the movies. guessing the password isn't really hacking, it's those pretending they are hackers and sometimes they get lucky and find someone who used an easy password. Mine came frome somewhere in china which is full off hackers and wannabe hackers.
    machiasmort likes this.
  15. KCvale

Ya, no worries, and they can't really do anything to you from here, just spam others here.

MotoPed build ehh?
    That's an expensive venture, I have nearly $3K into mine and that was before I was stupid enough to let my 25 year old ride it.

He wrecked it.
    It hurt him more than the bike and he has recovered but he's gonna start felling that blunder in his 40's for the rest of his life like I do now from mine.

You can see how I handled the kick start and shifter issues on my 86cc here.

Good luck with your build and be careful on it, it's a motorcycle with pedals ;-}
    machiasmort likes this.
  16. Anton

This is nothing to worry about, it's more of an annoyance than anything. Just make sure your password is nothing obvious. I have been adding the IP's to the block list :detective:
    machiasmort likes this.
  17. machiasmort

machiasmort Active Member

Add to that list!!!! LOL!
  18. Anton