Chain Tensioner has anyone tried this style chain tensioner?

Discussion in 'Transmission / Drivetrain' started by rabobanks, May 31, 2012.

1. rabobanks

rabobanks New Member

2. Al.Fisherman

Al.Fisherman Active Member

No, and I'm sure it is more rigid, and it will most likely hold better. What I don't like about that and stock ones is that they really don't line up the chain correctly without putting a bend in them. The bar is not perpendicular to the sprocket. My thoughts....

3. zuide2000@gmail.com

zuide2000@gmail.com New Member

Tensioner problems

I've had the same problems with my stock one bolt tensioner and i finally just made my own after much searching the net for a good one. Its not that hard and i used the stock roller for this. Just need to find a way the lock it in place since i have to check it before every ride just to make sure its tight enough. I've broken a lot of chains because of the tensioner. So here are a couple pictures of mine hope they upload ok. Good luck

Attached Files:

4. rabobanks

rabobanks New Member

I think we can all agree and say that the stock tensioners are lacking quality and functionality. The 4 bolt style seems like the best option. I was constantly fudging my tensioner to make sure the chain was lined up correctly. (It often slipped back in to a bad position).

Thanks for the uploaded pics! It looks like you have a very rigid tensioner. I always check my chain tension before each ride. I always carry a 14mm wrench just in case ;)

5. dodge dude94

dodge dude94 Member

I've got one on mine. Works pretty good.
    I think I need to move it closer to the wheel since it's almost at the end of it's travel, but other than that, works good. :)

6. Al.Fisherman

Not so, there are better options, but not as inexpensive. Both of these are sold on fleabay...not by me.
    [​IMG].....[​IMG]

7. rabobanks

rabobanks New Member

Just a thought. Take an old bike tire tube and use it between the tensioner and the bike frame to keep it more secure. I think the bike tube could be used in a lot of places on MB's. For my next build I will use the tube in my motor mounts

8. Al.Fisherman

That is one place not to insulate.

9. Barry

Barry Member

I'm using the one shown by Kingmotors on a HS 4 stroke, 5G mounted on a Schwinn crusier. No problems so far..

10. rabobanks

rabobanks New Member

motor mounts or chain tensioner?

11. Al.Fisherman

Engine mounts.

12. Barry

Barry Member

Tensioner, sorry..
    Barry

13. Greg58

Greg58 Member

Most people that build a lot of these bikes don't use rubber at all. From what I've learner nothing on these bikes that I have tried the rubber on stayed tight, not even the motor mounts. Mount it as solid as possible and you will have less problems

14. rabobanks

rabobanks New Member

Good to know. I figured the rubber would help keep everything smoother on the bike. But it makes sense that using the rubber will allow parts to come loose in the future. If there's rubber between the metal, how can it ever truely get tight?