Have generic china engine now, want to upgrade - any suggestions?

Discussion in 'Dealer Reviews' started by Gh0stRider, Mar 6, 2010.

1. Gh0stRider

Gh0stRider Banned

I have a generic china engine mounted on a walmart beach cruiser and want to upgrade to a more powerful and more quiet system. I see that there are many other types of kits available and it is confusing for the newbie. The roller driven kits look very easy to install than the in the frame kits but don't the tires wear out? I use my bike heavily and have put 1000 miles on it in total so low maintenance like the china engine is important but I wouldn't mind having to change oil on a 4 stroke engine.

As I read the forums I see the ads on the left side and the skyhawk 4 stroke looks like it uses the same gas tank and drive sprocket as my current setup. I clicked on the BMP link to their scrubber kit but they don't sell kits with engines. But the BMP will mount a 2 or 4 stroke engine.

Anyone have any experience with these kits?

2. augidog

augidog Banned

MBc's oldest sponsor, Golden Eagle, has (quietly) earned a solid reputation as one of the most durable, lightest, and least "invasive" kits going...all weather, light and smooth as silk, engine options are premium quality...

nope, i'm not financially affiliated but i am a very satisfied customer and they are my friends, and most GEBE owners eventually come to the same conclusion...

so, if you're serious about getting serious, make sure you consider all your options :cool2:
  3. kerf

kerf Guest

Hello Gh0stRider,

Try going to the vendor review section and look at the overall scores of the vendors, read the customer post and click on the vendor sites. You can get a good look at what's out there and some valuable insight from those that have purchased their products.

Once you find a concept that looks interesting, use the MBc search feature to find all available information about installation and performance.

Remember, information is power!
  4. Warner

Warner Member

I like (and own) Staton products myself. I only have one bike (which is all I need). If I were to build another bike, I would use products from Staton. They seem well engineered and nearly bulletproof. So there's my 2 cents.

5. Hawaii_Ed

Hawaii_Ed Member

Shift kit makes the HT a pretty fun ride, durable, and the lower RPM's with gears helps your china motor last longer too. If your bike is single speed, you'd have to replace it, but could find a craig's list bike, then $200 for the kit with your motor.
  6. Gh0stRider

Gh0stRider Banned

Thanks for the suggestions. Still trying to figure out what my next move will be. The jackshaft drive through the dérailleur is clever but it doesn't really address why I want to upgrade. I want something that is silent. Maybe a little putt putt from the engine. The china engine sounds like a dirtbike and attracts too much attention.