Having Fun Yet?

toojung2die

Local time
6:30 PM
Hey folks,

Back in the '90s my young son dragged home a couple of mopeds someone put out for the trash. In a couple of afternoons we had one of them running. They were built in Europe and based on a pedal bicycle with a small 2 cycle motor. Pedal a bit, let out the clutch and you were buzzing along at a brisk 30 mph. Even Mom got into it and had a few rides. I wish we kept one of those bikes.

Ever since then I've had the idea that a small engine and a bicycle would be fun and efficient transportation. My recent idea of converting one of my weed eater motors to bicycle power led me to this web site.

I now have a 80cc engine I bought from one of your site sponsors, "BikeBerry". I'm now looking for a suitable bicycle to install it on.

Welcome aboard.

Your only regret will be that you didn't find a workable bicycle motor years ago.

Keep us posted on your build, okay? Photos are great, but description is just fine, too.

We can't get enough of it.

Thank you for the welcome. I spent the last five or so years modifying a '97 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST Spyder into a respectable street-rod. Forums like this were my primary source of information for building a car I'm proud of. I'm satisfied with the results of that project (for now).

It seems odd to me that now I'm interested in the opposite extreme. Instead of seeking adrenaline pumping, tire smoking horsepower, I want to explore light weight efficiency and economy. I think the truth is I just like motorized vehicles.

I've been checking Craigs List and garage sales, looking for the right bike. I'm in no rush. I got my motor. I'll be checking back in with progress on my new project.

Thanks again for all the information archived here and new information coming out daily.

Back