head bolts and problems with intake

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by gator joe, Feb 3, 2015.

1. gator joe

gator joe Member

does anyone know if it's a good idea to use blue loctite on head bolts nuts I'm going to replace the Acorn ones with locking nuts and locking washers was thinking about if the heat would be a problem for the locking nuts I don't really want to use Loctite on the headbolts. I am planning on useing locktight on studs.
    next question is I noticed on this engine and my other one as well where the carburetor meets the intake it has developed a couple small holes I'm going to steal that wondering if anyone else has noticed this problem. I did just get a new motor with an expansion chamber very happy about that.
    thanks guys any advice is appreciated

2. butre

butre Well-Known Member

use loctite on everything threaded

3. HeadSmess

HeadSmess Well-Known Member

never owned a bottle of loctite up until two days ago and as i havent ridden a motorised bike since october since they were banned here... go figure. i got it because of one annoying grub screw on an RC car.

oh, sure, ive used them all in my time but never purchased any for myself at home. shaft lock, the green stuff, the red one, and of course my favourite sealant, nonhardening loctite gasket goo... (then i have bought bottles of loctite before! just not threadlockers!) even used this weird two part cyanoacrylate muck that had to be painted on and left for a day before assembling. super glue like ive never seen before!

the blue is good for anything with vibration but at the torque on head nuts its a bit unnecessary...

mounting studs ive always used a locknut, everything else... pfft. just tighten it properly.

4. Big Red

Big Red Active Member

100% right HEADSmess. Compleatly unessesary on head bolts, For most everything else, Might not be a bad idea. But not a GOTTA DO thing.
    Big Red.
    Yeah, I've been gone a while, It's good to be back.