Head gasket broken, is it needed at all?

Discussion in '2-Stroke Engines' started by gilesthealmighty, Aug 15, 2008.

1. Hi there, story goes as follows (don't worry its quite short)

One of the head bolts lost its thread and wouldnt tighten, i REALLY needed to get somewhere so had to use it .. bad idea really! After 15 miles it finally gave up and the result is this:

http://motoredbikes.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=10193&stc=1&d=1218832560

So yeah that sooper thin head gasket at the top is kinda broken ..

i have two options:

:arrow: Not use it at all? This will boost compression because of the smaller space, but is this wise?! i mean i'll go easy with it, but would it leak at all or anyhting?? i've tried searching but to no useful result!

:arrow: umm bend the gasket (the broken bit) over and hammer it so it joins part of the "ring"?

Need input quickly as i really need to get riding tomorrow, this is my only form of transportation :p

cheers in advance

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 15, 2008

2. spad4me

spad4me Member

Fix the headbolt.

A high temp paper type gasket material with red rtv sealant will replace the factory head gasket.

3. thats for a two piece head right? if so then its probly not a good idea to try "high temp paper" that i garuntee will burn up. so fix your bolt with whats called a heli coil and see if you can find a replacement.

4. yeah i've got replacement bolt, thats no problem anymore, am just simply wondering what i can do with this gasket .. its 0.85 mm thick .. i mean i can try putting it all together and see if it actually works :p just wondering if anyone else has tried it?

5. stude13

stude13 Active Member

ive read here that pablo leaves out the gasket and spray paints surfaces with silver paint. go to search.

6. wanger

wanger Guest

drink can cut out same shape and use being aluminium [im australian[ will compress creating an improved seal than no gasket at all
    cost 1 can your beverage of choice mine WILD TURKEY or could be a can collector and salvage off side road cost no 5 cent deposit refund on can:shock::rolleyes:

7. hey ^ that would work haha but also use copper spray a gasket as well to be sure. silver paint isnt the best thing for the rings i imagine

8. Bronzebird

Bronzebird Member

Some good information on head gasket replacement

Copper spray, is that spray paint or special copper gasket spray coating?
    The 2 piece head design on the 80cc seems faulty in concept.

9. fetor56

fetor56 Guest

Fix the head bolt & buy a new gasket,it's not the gaskets fault it failed in the first place.

10. UPDATE:

Ok head bolts are all fixed, however i have no gasket to hand, and repairing the old one didnt work at all, it leaked a lot, SO what is did was this:

:arrow: didnt use the head gasket at all!

It fires up and runs well!
    My guess is, that removing the gasket decreases the volume of the stroke, thus i have less CC's, although there is a higher compression ratio due the the stroke now having 0.85mm less 'room' to ignite in ..

11. relaxxx

relaxxx Member

I replaced my exhaust gasket with high temp. red silicone from walmart and it holds out great. If my head gasket went I would try the same stuff.

12. hill climber

hill climber Member

when you guys say high temp red silicone are you talking about the ogange high temp rtv?

13. kcmcf

kcmcf Member

just had this happen to a friend of mine we went to another friend that we thought might have something laying around his shop. he cut us 4 square's of aluminum slap then on a metal lathe made the center hole for us in under 10 min. after he got done he told us that what they do with rc plane motors if they blow a head gasket is to clean surfices then take red lock tight and put a small film around the bore and tighten it up. we tried that and it worked, he has been riding that waay for over 2 weeks now, but he does have 4 gaskets made up just in case.

Kevin

14. wanger

wanger Guest

deposit on cans has gone up 2 10cents gee this gasket is getting dearer just doubled in price:smile:
    can scabs might b able 2 eat now:grin: