head studs...uh oh!!!

fasjake

Local time
1:48 PM
So, the unthinkable has happened. I have two stripped head studs. Not quite sure how exactly it happened. As i hadn't touched them at all.... just riding down the road and the motor starts chirping at me. Anywho, is there anything i should know about replacing the studs and bolts or is it pretty straight forward. Thanks in advance.

Good deal. I was worried i couldnt replace them for a bit when all i could find was info on people rethreading and something called helicoil.

Wait did your head nuts come loose/strip or you mean the actual rod that goes into the crankcase stripped?

Ah that's a bit of a pain! I thought you meant the nuts just stripped , depending on how badly damaged the threads are you might get away with just running a tap the same size , if not you need to drill the holes bigger and either use a threaded insert (helicoil) or use bigger bolts and tap it for the the bigger size but then you'll have to drill the cylinder and head holes bigger too.

I cant simply replace the entine head stud. They sell replacements on sick bike parts

Your local hardware store will sell the replacement , the problem is where it goes into the crankcase will most likely be damaged so new studs won't go in there.

How should i go about it? Vise grips on the stripped stud and ease it out? Ill probably replace the motor instead of dealing with retapping or reclaiming threads.

Back