Head studs?

Neufcruz

Local time
11:23 AM
i purchased the heavy duty engine bolt kit. There are 4 large bolts(Allen head) that are same size as head studs. I assume these replace the studs. Just inquiring because I have never seen bolts hold the head on. It's typically studs and nuts. If so, I guess anytime you want to just remove your head, the entire jug becomes lose as well. Unless I'm missing/not understanding something here.
Finally got my piston windowed so wanting to put together today.
I understand to use Teflon on the head, but do I use it between jug and case?

Getting close!

Thanks all

Mike

One thing. It makes swapping pistns a snap and I'll keep the studs so when installing jug I can thread in alight with ease.
Man these engines are pretty easy to work on as most have said.
Thanks

Good thing because the windowed piston I bought was the wrong size. 5mm to tall. I'm lucky I had the piston all the way at top and actually saw piston sticking up past jug. I'll go swap for right one tomorrow and put it back in.
I had a pair of medical forceps that work great for putting in the piston pin clips. Great having the right tools as well.

Is this kit stainless steel? If you use stainless steel into aluminum you need to get a special grease. SS and aluminum do not go well together. On the bolt kits that are SS on Harley s come with a special grease. So many think that SS is the way to go which I found out the hard way they are not.

All hardened bolts I have used have broke the stock ones are fine. You do up the hardened ones and when something moves thay don't and brake. For me eny way

I've never broken a stock stud, but I've stretched several to the point of being unusable. I've broken grade 8 bolts but it takes a lot longer to do than stretching stock studs.

I am looking at purchasing this same kit you bought and was wondering if you ever found out about the 4 large Allen bolts being for the head studs or not? I’m assuming they would be but then you’d be taking the whole jug off each time you mess with the cylinder head. And you’d be threading in and out of the engine casing anytime you mess with the head and I wonder if that’s good for the threading on the casing over time torquing down on them?

And you’d be threading in and out of the engine casing anytime you mess with the head and I wonder if that’s good for the threading on the casing over time torquing down on them?
This is true. I don't expect you'll need to mess with the head very many times once you get it all set up correctly.. but if you want to make lots of small modifications one at a time to find out what works best for you, you could install Helicoils so that it's a steel thread in the case.

Back