Head studs?

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by Neufcruz, Feb 7, 2016.

1. Neufcruz

Neufcruz Member

i purchased the heavy duty engine bolt kit. There are 4 large bolts(Allen head) that are same size as head studs. I assume these replace the studs. Just inquiring because I have never seen bolts hold the head on. It's typically studs and nuts. If so, I guess anytime you want to just remove your head, the entire jug becomes lose as well. Unless I'm missing/not understanding something here.
    Finally got my piston windowed so wanting to put together today.
    I understand to use Teflon on the head, but do I use it between jug and case?

Getting close!

Thanks all

Mike

2. Neufcruz

Neufcruz Member

Thanks Headsmess. Got your answer in other thread.

3. Neufcruz

Neufcruz Member

One thing. It makes swapping pistns a snap and I'll keep the studs so when installing jug I can thread in alight with ease.
    Man these engines are pretty easy to work on as most have said.
    Thanks

4. sbest

sbest Active Member

Yes, they are a dream for doing mods one at a time. Total top end swap takes about 15 minutes.

Steve

5. Neufcruz

Neufcruz Member

Good thing because the windowed piston I bought was the wrong size. 5mm to tall. I'm lucky I had the piston all the way at top and actually saw piston sticking up past jug. I'll go swap for right one tomorrow and put it back in.
    I had a pair of medical forceps that work great for putting in the piston pin clips. Great having the right tools as well.

6. 45u

45u Active Member

Is this kit stainless steel? If you use stainless steel into aluminum you need to get a special grease. SS and aluminum do not go well together. On the bolt kits that are SS on Harley s come with a special grease. So many think that SS is the way to go which I found out the hard way they are not.

7. skyash

skyash Active Member

All hardened bolts I have used have broke the stock ones are fine. You do up the hardened ones and when something moves thay don't and brake. For me eny way

8. butre

butre Well-Known Member

I've never broken a stock stud, but I've stretched several to the point of being unusable. I've broken grade 8 bolts but it takes a lot longer to do than stretching stock studs.