headlights

Discussion in 'Electrical' started by beachcruiserD, Nov 23, 2008.

1. beachcruiserD

beachcruiserD New Member

hey guys,
    since the recent change in daylight hours, i've been looking for a decent light set up, which is also cheap....
    I see alot of one that look good, but are too much, and the cheap ones seem like they might be underpowered....
    I'm looking for something that will work well as a headlight in poorly lit areas, so that i dont have to guess what im about to run over anymore, like i currently have to with my 3-LED 'safety' light....
    basically, i need something that does much more than just let other cars know im on the road.
    I have found this 53 LED headlight, but was wondering if anyone has found anything else, or from a local shop.
    thanks,
    beachcruiserD
    http://www.b2c-support.com/53-led-bright-bicycle-bike-light-torch-flashlight-lamp-p-1641.html

2. kerf

kerf Guest

3. mountain80

mountain80 Member

I had the same problem as I commute to work quite early when the sun is not up and some of the streets are pitch black. After looking at expensive hid, led and other bicycle systems I now use a set of driving lights I found at princess auto(Canada) They cam as a set of two with 12 volt halogen lightbulbs just the kind you would use for undercounter lighting and flood lights. Purchased a 12v 7ah sealed battery and I already had the wire, inline fuse and switch. Seeing as I wanted a rear rack anyways the whole project budget was a 120 bucks for everything including the rack. I changed the bulb from the stock 55w down to 20w for now as the battery capacity is decreased at freezing temperatures. I get 2 hours at the temp with the 20w but I am going to put in a 35w soon. The bulb is a standard MR16 which can be bought anywhere and the beam spread in degrees can be selected as well. I just plug it in on a trickle charger for a couple hours at night. It works quite well and is very bright. Check the pics out.

Attached Files:

4. MotorMac

MotorMac Member

lights

Mountain80 I did the same thing, but I left the 55 watt bulb in as I like the tremendous amount of light it puts out. I bought 2 batteries from Princess Auto as they were on sale cheap,that way 1 is always charged ready to go and if I go out for more than a couple of hours I will take both with me. Man its getting cold here too in Ontario!

5. buck

buck Member

Same thing here. I went to wallmart and they had a pair of driving lights
    that look just like those for less that 20 bucks. I mounted one onto the front reflector bracket, and have one for a spare. I left the 55 watt bulb and got the same battery. 600 miles and no problems.

6. mountain80

mountain80 Member

Up unil a week ago i was doin my 21 km commute to work most days if there was no snow or rain. The chinooks are back so goin to work at zero to -5 is not a problem as it is in the pluses when coming home. I have a second 5ah battery which i initially bought but with the 35w bulb i only got about an hour and 15 min at these temps but i think I will be makin up an additional wiring harness so i can run 12 ah in total which will keep me running for a couple of hours in the cold. Princess auto rocks as they have everything just about for the tinkerer and do it yourselfer at a decent price!

7. MotorMac

MotorMac Member

Princess auto

Yeah its my favourite store too,I can spend hours in there! my wife has to drag me out!

8. mountain80

mountain80 Member

lol yeah its the only place i know where i don't need nothing and can still go look for an hour or two but when I do need something its on sale and I can usually walk out of there for 20 dollars!!

9. beachcruiserD

beachcruiserD New Member

interesting....does the nude bicyclist come with any? haha
    but seriously, would kind of a power source would i need for running those types of lights?

10. kerf

kerf Guest

I'm running a 20w headlight, 6w tail light, brake light and turn signals off a 5 ah Absorbed Glass Mat (AGM), SLA. Get about 1 1/2 hours running everything. Headlight is a MR16 - 10 degree spot.

11. SirJakesus

SirJakesus Guest

The major problem I have with the halogen foglamp sla setup is weight and short run time. I've moved to instead using a couple high powered 4 watt LED flashlights (cree/luxeonK2) with spot beams mounted to the handlebars with 2 interlaced pipe clamps each. The weight is greatly reduced and the spot lets you see much further down the road than most foglamp type fixtures with ample flood. Right now I'm running the flashlights with high capacity nimh rechargeables but I plan on wiring them up to the rest of the bikes power system eventually. As an added benefit the LED's should never need replacement and they're advertised to run about 20 hours with a set of batteries. With that kind of current draw I can afford to run them while I ride during the day for extra safety. I bought a set of 2 lights for $28 at sams club with a set of disposable batteries included.

12. kerf

kerf Guest

I've not tried LED's, if they cast a proper beam they would be the ticket. My setup, while heavy, was easily obtainable, doesn't mean I'll stick with it forever.

13. sjackson

sjackson Member

I'm using a Seoul Semi-Conductors P7 12w 900 lumen LED. It's amazingly bright. It uses a special lithium battery called an 18650. The same website sells the batteries and chargers. I get about two hours run time on medium, and about an hour on high. The great thing about it is the batteries hold their charge for a long time. So if I charge it on a Friday, it'll still be charged on Monday and good to go.

I was thinking about getting a couple of the cheaper flashlights (no strobe or blinking modes) that use this same LED and hacking them up into a headlight housing so that it fits the style of the bike a bit better. As it is now I just have the one light mounted to my bars. It's plenty strong on it's own, but two would be better.

14. scrollerguy

scrollerguy Guest

BeachCruiserD Put that idea out of your head, that light is not worth it at any cost.
    I purchased one awhile back and it was simply awful! It wouldn't stay on, the light jiggled and vibrated, the light would go out while you was riding. I threw it in the trash.

There are a lot of other alternatives that has already been posted.

Scrollerguy

15. wheelbender6

wheelbender6 Well-Known Member

My setup is similar to Mountain80. I found one of those 12 volt driving lights while cleaning out the garage.
    I replaced the bulb with a 6 volt bulb from the auto parts store so I can power it by the white wire from the engine. The light easily bolted up to the uneeded cable hanger on my fork.
    The beam is not super bright, but it is very wide to help me see the edge of the pavement. I supplement it with a battery powered LED light in very dark areas.
    LOL

16. MotorMac

MotorMac Member

lights

Putting on a 55 watt driving light and hooking it up to a small 12 v SLA battery is the same as putting a car headlight on your bike, you guys know how bright that is, you can see for 100 feet in front of you and 20 feet out the sides theres nothing better or brighter than this setup for these winter nights.

17. kerf

kerf Guest

55w is a lot of load for a SLA, that's the reason I went with a 20w MR16 spot.The illumination is not as wide close up but it does reach out enough to operate at 30-35 mph.

18. MotorMac

MotorMac Member

batteries

I get about 1hour and 15 minutes out of a 12v 4.5A/H battery and carry 2 if I expect to be out longer than 1h 15 minutes, charge them up overnight and its great to go the next evening. The batteries were cheap ($8 )enough than if they get damaged from any over or under charging I can get another one

19. mountain80

mountain80 Member

As a side note the place I bought my mr16 bulb had an single 3w led replacement and i have looked at the 5-15 watt replacement leds but they are about 70 bucks as they are new. I am going to wait till they come down in price, the 10 w supposedly replaces a 50w halogen, if so it would definitely increase battery run time.

20. ZnsaneRyder

ZnsaneRyder Member

Where do you get an $8 SLA battery?