Heavy Duty Spokes and Rim

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by GoldenEagleChris, Jun 27, 2011.

1. So I am looking for a heavy duty wheel for my crazy torquey engine. On the last day of the old GEBE seup (smaller GEO engine) I finally broke a spoke. I am running the new GEBE setup, and I decided I MUST get the .105 spokes. I looked on GEBE and found an option, but all they offer is a hub that works with a multi gear cassette. I only have a freewheel single speed cruiser.

When I tried to speak with one of the reps over at GEBE and I described my freewheel problem---that I do not have a multi speed bike, she thought my bike was made in Wal-mart and continued to appear confused as to what I was looking for with their rim.

My budget is a little less than $145 for a back wheel from GEBE and I don't even think it would work with mine.....

Can anyone shed some light on this.?

I also found a website that for $35 bucks I can get a heavy duty rim with the same .105 gauge spokes. Yes they are not stainless or made in the usa but its 35 bucks.....I could by 3 and still save money on the GEBE wheel AND they come ready to bolt up to a freewheel.....

Has anyone had any luck with either of the wheels on their bike?

I think the lady said the wheels were assembled in the USA (a big crock) but were made either in China or Taiwan......

2. tone2crazy

tone2crazy Member

the wheel on my bike is orriginally for a multi-speed cassette. to make it one speed you simply take off the axle spacer and put a single gear freewheel.

heres a pic of the s[rocket and the axle with the s[acer removed and a single speed frewheel

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 27, 2011
  3. Molotov256

Molotov256 Member

Where'd you find heavy duty wheels for $35? I'd be interested in looking at them...

4. Will Snow

Will Snow Member

I have had a couple Golden Eagle kits and had the same problem with broken spokes. A couple tips I was give seemed to help. Where the spokes cross about midway up the wheel, lace them together with safety wire and coat with JB Weld. I also was told to check the spokes often for tightness, a loose spoke will break pretty easy I was told.

I did order one of there heavy wheels for my present Golden Eagle and have had no problems. If you can stop the spokes from breaking, I think they have a very good product.