Hellllooooooo from Manchester, England

Andy Birch

Local time
8:18 AM
Hi Guys.

Im new to the forum and just about to convert my classic Specilized StumpJumper to 2 stroke motorized. Are any of you based in the UK? I dont see much action in the Uk so if you are based there please post up and introduce yourself?

Im a petrolhead through and through and into anything fast enough to harm myself on or in. My bike project will probably end up silly......as most of my projects do...lol

Cheers,

Andy, Manchester, UK

Welcome for Atlanta! I'm pretty new here too. I don't say much but I've learned a lot from the people here and have enjoyed building a riding my bike. :)

Classic "A1" alloy stumpjumper? :)
Of course they (classic alloy mountainbikes) all die eventually, from a crack, one day, but they give you much pleasure and pride up until then
so why bring that fateful day closer by vibrating the nuts off your twenty years of work hardened alloy classic frame? :)
Especially when there's lots of great British cro-moly bikes or electric motors. :)

So have you found a place to actually ride it?
When I was going about on my little motored micro scooter thing, back when there were quite a few little scrotes and scallies buzzing about the estates on mini bikes too, I felt totally hunted, it spoiled the riding experience.. and that was over a decade ago.. it only gets harder.
I found I only had the old railway path to safely ride on, so I'd take that boring straight path from Levenshulme down to Chorlton, annoying everyone in the houses that back onto it, then id sneak (on the road) down to the Mersey and follow the horrible bumpy brick footpath.. Basically I was stuck surrounded by places cops can go in their cars hunting for the youth. So you have to go to East Didsbury, which is not exactly exciting or difficult to get to by bike or something lol.
So I think I would not choose I.C.E. for a Mancunian motored bike. Electric has come along enough now to make it viable in some urban uses and you wouldn't have the constant threat of arrest. You would have the option of doing part of your journey by train too, so the range is maybe not so limited. The expense is the biggest problem then, of course. Electric isn't cheap but then neither is court costs and fines and losing the classic Stumpjumper and the I.C.E. you spent ages and £££ building.

Last edited:
Back