Hello All

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Ghost0, Oct 23, 2007.

1. Ghost0

Ghost0 Guest

Greetings from the Pacific Northwest. I am a true newbie to all of this, and I mean all. I have really enjoyed reading all the posts and learning a lot of tricks. Hopefully attached is a photo of my current ride that I call my Drone. It is just stock except for matching the intake and exhaust ports to align with the head. There are some things that just aren't right.

The other attachment is what I am in the process of building. I won't go into much detail here but will post updates in the appropriate forums in the future. I have a race car design/Engineering background so hopefully I will be able to contribute some useful information.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 23, 2007

2. mickey

mickey Guest

Man, that new bike is sweet. Welcome indeed.

3. Alaskavan

Alaskavan Guest

Welcome to MBc.

4. azbill

azbill Active Member

agreed... that will be a cool bike when you get the suspension/chain slack issue dealt with
    welcome to MBc ! :D

5. drimpact

drimpact Member

Welcome to MBc. Love the bikes.

Can't wait to see your build unfold..

6. dbigkahunna

dbigkahunna Guest

Great bike. Welcome to the MBc tribe form the Giant Side of Texas!

7. gone_fishin

gone_fishin Guest

you need a major spring-loaded tensioner...please, make one that anyone can build & show us how :)

make sure you check out "let's ride" to see about hooking up with the other PNW-Riders :D

welcome to the MBc :cool:

8. Ghost0

Ghost0 Guest

I actually won't be needing a major tensioner. I will be using the bottom bracket as a jack shaft, see pic. Then I am building a 3 speed rear derailleur, see other pic. Sorry but no pedaling here. Straight bump start only. It will be a dedicated off-road machine. I will continue to keep all posted as she progresses. If anyone is interested in a place I found for gears, chains, sprockets etc. Try this place. Go the "ATV and Parts" or Go Carts and Parts" sections.
    http://www.jackssmallengines.com/parts.html

Attached Files:

9. gone_fishin

gone_fishin Guest

jackshaft in swingarm-pivot has always been a pet imaginary mod of mine...too bad you have to use bottom-bracket and give up the pedals, tho.

10. mickey

mickey Guest

Clearly you have the fab-mojo. Why can you not add a crank freewheel and have pedals as well?

11. Scottm

Scottm Guest

Wow, and Welcome to MBc

12. Ghost0

Ghost0 Guest

I could do the crank freewheel but a lot more work and $$$$, since it is dedicated off road I don't care much about having pedals. I am trying to do this build with as little machining or custom fab work as possible so it will be easy to duplicate. If the project turns out as I hope there are 5 of my friends that will want one. The goal is a decent dirt bike for under $600. So far I am in it for only about $450.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 28, 2007
  13. wow relly nice bike. I know that most be a sweet ride.

14. Ghost0

Ghost0 Guest

Making some progress on my moto-bike. I am bench testing my 3 speed derailleur. Preliminary tests show that it should work. I need to taper the teeth on the rear sprockets to aid in smoother gear changes. I will also be making an idler gear on the derailleur which should smooth out gear changes and overall running.

Attached Files:

15. azbill

azbill Active Member

that's some nice work ! :D
    you should start a project thread down in the gallery
    that way all these fine pics won't get overlooked

16. mickey

mickey Guest

Any luck on this project, Ghost?

17. Ghost0

Ghost0 Guest

Progress?

Have made a little, the holidays have definitely slowed things. I found the home made rear derailleur not to be practical. I went with a simpler but not quite as elegant approach. I will post pics as soon as I determine if my camera is still functional. I took about a 20 foot header at the Seahawks game yesterday.

18. sklein25

sklein25 Guest

GhostO

Any progress on the Project build up? Hope you're doin well??? Keep us all posted.

Cheers........
    Steve