Hello And Help Me!!

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by supergirl8705, Jun 25, 2008.

1. supergirl8705

supergirl8705 New Member

HI my name is Selina and i recently bought an engine kit for my schwinn bike, to be honest I have no idea how to put it on or really how to operate it properly :shock: its a 66cc dual clutch automatic engine. Please help me if you have the time :grin:

2. Klox

Klox Guest

Hi Selina, welcome to MotoredBikes.com!
    From which part of the world are you? What type of Schwinn do you own?

3. supergirl8705

supergirl8705 New Member

thank you :D Im from Illinois, Im not too sure on what type however it is not very old, maybe five or ten years? will have to check when I get home
  4. Welcome to MBc. Maybe a pic would help us help you... Of the bike and the engine...
  5. JemmaUK

JemmaUK Guest

Hi selina,

welcome to the forum.

Youll find alot of help here - everyone is nice and friendly and there is alot of information.

with the chengines your big problem will be things vibrating - and not in a good way. Keep mounts, bolts and such tight and check regularly... also be nice to the motor for the first little while, run it in properly with a high oil mixture and it should be reliable.

If your bike is a cruiser then I dont foresee all that many fit up problems but some of the MTB frames can get a trifle crowded.

Also make as sure as you can that all the engine fittings such as carb/exhaust are gastight.

Without seeing the bike its hard to advise you but its nice to have another girl on here - there are a growing number of us...

Jemma xx
  6. Klox

Klox Guest

Selina, see if you can source someone in your family or in your circle of friends to help you with the installation if you're not familiar with the world of bolts, nuts and spanners. You'll can also learn much from people like Jemma & Misteright1 as they have built bikes themselves and would be glad to advise you.....but first of all, browse this site it's packed with usefull info that will help you overcome the obstacles of installing, running & maintaining your bike.

7. supergirl8705

supergirl8705 New Member

you guys are awesome, thanks for all the support, I really appreciate it, here are some pics, the Schwinn is an anniversery edition, 1995 i think, a the motor that you see is what I got in the mail, thats all that came with it. 66cc dual clutch automatic engine, and actually that black piece thing that is coming out the side of that valve thing didnt come with it. haha i sound like a martian.

here is exactly what I bought, what do I need to buy to mount it?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 26, 2008
  8. Mountainman

Mountainman Active Member

Hi Selina -- A warm welcome sent from yet another new one to this site.. I agree with Klox -- VERY IMPORTANT to have someone with mechanical ability, so as to help you out -- not only with installing -- but, also to explain a few important operating -- THINGS NEEDED TO DO AND KNOW FOR YOUR SAFETY.. Wishing you - many happy miles of riding from Mountainman
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2008
  9. sparky

sparky Active Member

Be sure to check out the Crash Course if you haven't already. Tho, it's mostly informing those who haven't made a decision on what to buy. You've already bought your kit, so there's no turning back now for you!

Definitely find a friend or family member & get them to teach you a thing or two. In case you don't understand clutch basics, I'd also try to grasp the concept of a clutch & what it does -- pulling the lever disengages the clutch (which is why you have to pull it while you're stopped, otherwise it'll just stall since it tries but the tires won't budge).

Also, I was gonna start a thread of the top 3 things I've learned from this site, but it'd end up being a lot like Large's Safety & Maintenance thread, so I'll just tell you!

(1) Get a kevlar tire, a tire liner, a puncture resistant inner tube, & a rim/spoke liner. Also, don't forget to check pressure every two weeks or so... and you shouldn't ever have to change an inner tube (maybe if the stem gets a hole in it, that's about it). It's amazing how long it takes to change a rear inner tube & how much time you can save by getting quality tires, tubes, & liners.

(2) Replace all nuts & bolts with Grade 8 stuff that won't bend or break like the Chinese stuff. And definitely don't forget the blue Loc-tite! Seriously, just tightening the mounting bolts won't be good enough. If you don't use the blue Loc-tite, you'll regret it like most everybody here has already done.

(3) Hog the road if you're using the road. This way, people will be forced to give you your space. Some don't give you space at all, and that could be deadly on roads with holes, cracks, dips, or whatever deformity you can think of. Especially with a hardtail like yours... you can't leave any room for error between the road & your tires.

G'luck with your build!!
  10. JemmaUK

JemmaUK Guest

Having looked at the bike I cant see any problems with mounting and such, assuming you have the relevant hardware and bits with the motor?

As has already been said, if the bolts and fixings arent up to scratch then its worth replacing them. With the chengines they do tend to vibrate themselves to bits on occaision.

By the look of it you have a centrifugal clutch on that engine which means no lever just twist and go - the take up of drive is automatic as the engine spins up into a certain rev range.

I would strongly suggest spending money to get a decent front suspension fork - either one of the classic types or a standard MTB fork. The roads around my area arent all that bad but even with the front springer on my bike I feel bumps and such in the road - without a springer those bumps and dips are more than enough to throw you off the bike and cause alot of hurt.

I also suggest that someone with some mech ability helps you with the build, but if you want to learn dont let them do it for you (my father is awful for that) - not that I asked him, but there you are. You will learn alot faster how to work on your bike if you fitted it up yourself, and trust me, you'll have to work on it lol .

Other than that - just enjoy the experience :)

Jemma xx
  11. KilroyCD

KilroyCD Active Member

Supergirl, I hope I'm wrong, but nowhere in the eBay ad for your engine is it shown or stated that the engine you bought comes with the gas tank, CDI (ignition module), clutch lever, throttle assembly, rear sprocket or even the drive chain. He just lists the engine, carb and wide crank assembly. I was wondering why the price was so low. I would contact the seller ASAP.
  12. fastboy9

fastboy9 Member

Hi Selina, welcome to the forum, dont worry you'll be riding in no time, we'll all help you get going. Thats a good engine you've got there, nice and easy to run and pretty powerful too.

The guy you brought them off of will have spare parts in stock, just email him with your list and I'm sure he will sort you out a good deal. If not then there are a few good sellers on here that stock parts but it will be quite expensive buying everything separately.

Your engine is called a chinese 2 stroke frame mount, on this forum everybody calls them happy time engines, or HT for short. If you have a look round you will soon see that it is by far the most popular engine as they are so cheap.

Theres a guy called Duane at Dax: http://thatsdax.com/ENGINE_KIT_PARTS_PAGE_1.html

Or the other big seller is Kings: http://www.kingsmotorbikes.com/bicycle_parts.htm

As for installation, You shouldn't have any problems at all on that bike. Heres a list of links on sites with instructions:
    http://www.transformercycles.com/starfire gt2 installation instructions final.htm (slightly different engine but the install is exactly the same)

http://www.spookytoothcycles.com/content/view/111/127/1/6/ (you will need to make up a free account to view that page)

Hope this helps you. If you have any other problems just ask!

13. bluegoatwoods

bluegoatwoods Well-Known Member

Hi Selina and welcome.

As far as installation goes, you'll find instructions at the sites that fastboy linked to. Between these instructions and what you can find here, you'll do fine. And I'd actually urge you to try to tackle it yourself. It's really not all that hard and it won't hurt you one bit to be a bike mechanic. These things do need looking after. Although I've found that with easy riding I don't have to pay very much more attention to a motor assisted bicycle than I have to pay to a regular bicycle.

I have a Schwinn anniversary edition, too. It looks almost identical to yours other than color. It's my unmotorized rider and I just love it. It's a sweet bike. So sweet, in fact, that I'm constantly tempted to put a motor on it. I don't, though, because then it wouldn't be a good pedaller. Anyway, I'll bet that you will be happy as anything with that bike and a motor. Have fun!
  14. supergirl8705

supergirl8705 New Member

whats a suspension fork?:confused:
  15. wayde

wayde Guest

holds your front wheel but has shock absorbers
  16. JemmaUK

JemmaUK Guest

There are different types -

open springers such as fitted to my bike with a coil spring providing both springing and adjustable damping

MTB type - generally adjustable for reach and damping using gas/oil displacement as the springing medium

There are also other types using horizontally mounted coil springs or vertically mounted (such as in the motorbikes of the 1930s). There are even some used on the old 40's/50's cyclemotors that use elastic as a springing medium which apparently work well, just dont get oil or petrol on them.

The idea is to provide controlled movement in order to absorb differences in road surface and potholes etc. When riding a bike at 15mph you dont notice anything of that unless its a very bad road partly due to the tires suspension ability - but as speed increases, so doesnt momentum, which means for a given surface displacement the effect on the motorbike and rider is amplified with bone juddering results.

On my bike at 28-30mph the fork is bouncing away merrily almost all the time, even on good surfaces, but just a centimeter or so displacement makes for a hefty judder at that speed even with suspension..

hope that helped

Jemma xx
  17. crazeehorse

crazeehorse Member

the hardest task is mounting the sprocket to the wheel. it takes a bit, but most can get it done. the best advice is to take your time. if you are not sure, stop right away, & do what you're doing now, ask . a wrong guess can result in a scraped part & much regret. measure from the center of your seat post tube, to the edge of your pedal crank, then measure from the center of the rear engine mount to see if your crank arms will clear the engine. i think the centrifugal clutch will need a little more clearance that the manual cluth models. make sure before tightening the bolts, that you true the sprocket. i would like to know how well the centrifugal clutch works the when you get it going. just take your time, & ask a lot of questions.
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2008
  18. Alan

Alan Member

Did you receive any other parts, like a chain, rear sprocket, chain idler, fuel tank, throttle, muffler, CDI, etc ? Looks like Revolution sold you part of a kit, but not the whole kit. The description at e-bay is for just an engine, and wider crank.
    Let us know exactly what you have.

Just saw Kilroy's post. Same thoughts. But get the missing stuff from another source if possible. Let us know exactly what you have, and we'll tell you what else you will need.
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2008
  19. supergirl8705

supergirl8705 New Member

the parts

i recieved the rest of the parts, tank, spark plug, chain, wire things, tube thing, clutch, throttle, and other stuff that i dont know what its called and hardware, oh and he also threw in a couple lights:grin: for it too, nice guy he is. oh yea!! wait i think im mising a piece tho, isnt there a black adapter looking thing with a switch that connects to the spark plug and attaches to bike? cuz i dont have that but there is a switch on the motor already. so Im confused about that

well, tomorrow I begin my project and I willbe asking lots of questions, I hear the sprocket part is hard but can be done.

thank you all so much, keep me posted on stuff please

the newbie

20. fastboy9

fastboy9 Member

That black thing is called the CDI, your going to need one of those. Could you take a picture of all the things you have got and then we can see what else is needed. By the sounds of it your pretty much sorted except for the CDI.