Hello and looking for outboard motor help

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by CptBuck, Jun 16, 2008.

1. CptBuck

CptBuck New Member

Hello all. I'm just starting this project of turning my bike into a small motorcycle but i have some questions regarding engines. I have an old outboard motor lying around that looks like it could do the trick powerwise (its not too big) but i don't know how difficult a project that would be. I'm wondering if i should scrap that idea and try something simpler like, say, a chainsaw motor. I have a moderately good set of tools but not much experience.

If anyone has used an outboard motor to do this, I appreciate any help.

Thanks,
    CptBuck.

2. jared3377

jared3377 Member

Welcome to MBc! :grin:

Hmmmm...never heard of anyone trying an outboard motor on a bike...aren't most smaller outboards water-cooled (needing to pump water from the lake/river to cool the engine)...? I would probably scrap the idea and go with a chainsaw or weedwacker motor--OR try a motor made for bikes (click on the links to the left of MBc's homepage for reliable vendors). Good luck!

3. graucho

graucho Active Member

Hi CptBuck. Welcome to MBc!

If you search and are unable to find your answers, don't hesitate to post your question. Someone will steer you to a link, or reply to your question. Were here for each other! Enjoy! :grin:
    You may have seen this, but here's a great MBc starter "link" to get you motoring.
    http://www.motoredbikes.com/showthread.php?t=10392

4. Esteban

Esteban Active Member

I don't know of any converted outboard motors propelling bikes. BUT, it could be done. Ohlsson & Rice used a 1hp engine for evrything from a bike motor, to outboard, to chainsaw. Also, many older small outboards were air-cooled, like lawnmowers. Converting a lawnmower type engine [ vertical shaft ] to put on a bike, just seems like too much work for me.