Hello and looking for outboard motor help

CptBuck

Local time
5:03 PM
Hello all. I'm just starting this project of turning my bike into a small motorcycle but i have some questions regarding engines. I have an old outboard motor lying around that looks like it could do the trick powerwise (its not too big) but i don't know how difficult a project that would be. I'm wondering if i should scrap that idea and try something simpler like, say, a chainsaw motor. I have a moderately good set of tools but not much experience.

If anyone has used an outboard motor to do this, I appreciate any help.

Thanks,
CptBuck.

Welcome to MBc! :D

Hmmmm...never heard of anyone trying an outboard motor on a bike...aren't most smaller outboards water-cooled (needing to pump water from the lake/river to cool the engine)...? I would probably scrap the idea and go with a chainsaw or weedwacker motor--OR try a motor made for bikes (click on the links to the left of MBc's homepage for reliable vendors). Good luck!

I don't know of any converted outboard motors propelling bikes. BUT, it could be done. Ohlsson & Rice used a 1hp engine for evrything from a bike motor, to outboard, to chainsaw. Also, many older small outboards were air-cooled, like lawnmowers. Converting a lawnmower type engine [ vertical shaft ] to put on a bike, just seems like too much work for me.

Back