Hello everyone!

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Diabloman, Jun 22, 2016.

1. Diabloman

Diabloman New Member

Hey guys,

Been reading around the forums and slipping in and out for help as i go along. Finally i decided its time to post and see whats up. I just finished my first working build on a raw 66cc motor after a horrible nightmare with one of the silver angel flying horse engines. Ugh that thing was a huge pain. But now that i am mobile. The next step would be trying to get a bit more out of the engine. I get its a tad small. But id kinda like a higher top speed and maybe a bit more acceleration. Im averaging out around 20 mph which is nice cruising on the sidewalks but sometimes here in Nebraska the sidewalks either end or are not well taken care of and would like to try to get off them. Picture of my current build below. Stock as is. Except the carburetor simply cause i wanted a blue one. Ha. A 44 tooth sprocket. Plan to get a smaller one. Not trying to deal with shift kits unless neccessary. Any ideas that have worked for you guys in the long run? Boost bottles? Stacks? Better cdi? Just need somewhere to start without killing the motor. 20160622_030433.jpg

2. bakaneko

bakaneko Active Member

Hello. Glad you are liking your bike. Always do upgrades incrementally in case one does not work; much easier to trouble shoot. For the lower rear sprocket, you have to be pretty sure your bike could use one because it takes a lot of work to change those ragjoint sprockets: take off old sprocket, put on new sprocket, true the sprocket on wheel, adjust/cut the chain, adjust the tensioner, and etc. A 36T should put you in the upper 20s cruising. One way I like to tell is if from a slow 3-5 mph peddling speed, the motor can take me to 20 mph in less than 2 seconds then yeah you could probably benefit from a lower sprocket. Also, the lower sprocket will reduce stress on your engine, improve gas mileage, lower vibrations in addition to higher cruise speed. Of course you are losing acceleration.

3. Diabloman

Diabloman New Member

To a point it might be worth it. Starting out fast seems to jerk on it a bit. Trying to avoid that. I can get up to 18 ish with no issues. But we top out around 22 going down hills even. Was contemplating what tooth sprocket i.e. 42 40 or 36... but im thinking i might have to pull the 36 torque isnt such a huge issue as im willing to help pedal up and down. And am usually good at maintaining momentum.

4. Frankfort MB's

Frankfort MB's Well-Known Member

Your top speed is just 22mph???? That's not right even with a stock kit

I could hit 30-35 on a stock kit pretty easy

5. Diabloman

Diabloman New Member

Thats right... what ive heard too. Could it be just me? Or is something off?

6. Frankfort MB's

Is it four stroking? I had a bike that would four stroke really bad and would only go 28mph down hill

7. Diabloman

Diabloman New Member

How would i tell? And it seems to fire on every revolution. But then again. I cant see inside so. Tips for checking that?

8. Frankfort MB's

Four stroking is where your running so rich the engine can't revv any higher....
    The way to check is to look at the tip of the spark plug and it should be a golden brown color, about like this

If your four stroking then the plug will be black and oily

Attached Files:

9. Diabloman

Diabloman New Member

This being the first few days it ran i had a break in ratio of gas going. My plug looked like this. [Below] 2 issues noticed at the moment. ^ the aforementioned and my exhaust leaks. After 2 gasket changes and form a gasket. Still getting air out of the exhaust port as well. Not sure how to go about reducing that.

Attached Files:

10. Frankfort MB's

You look rich.... What you could do for a quick fix to see if your rich is take your air filter off go for a full throttle run then take the plug out, that would lean out the mixture

11. Diabloman

Diabloman New Member

Ill have to give that a go. But at work for the night. And this is my ride. So we'll see whats up on the way home tonight. Just would really at least like to be able to keep up easy at 25 to maintain speed on most of the roads around me.

12. Frankfort MB's

On my bike (which is 70 years old:)) I can get it too 35 pretty easily with a 44 tooth sprocket..... I put a 41 on it but I'm having sprocket alignment issues

I cruise at about 25-30ish depending how many people is behind me on our little country road;)

I don't like going much faster since my bike rides like a farfanoogan;):D

Last edited: Jun 22, 2016
  13. Diabloman

Diabloman New Member

Whats the best ratios around?

14. Diabloman

Diabloman New Member

Alright i tried that. I gained a solid 5mph and cruise a tad high rpm at 20mph. Not bad. Thinking of i adjust my jet needle and get a better fuel mix itd maybe do the trick till the sprocket shows up?

15. Frankfort MB's

If you don't fix your mixture problem then the sprocket won't help any.... Show me a pic of the spark plug now that you've took the air filter off

16. Diabloman

Diabloman New Member

Shoulda got that picture. Oops. Ill grab a pic of it now that i changed up to a rough 30-32:1. Now cruising at 20 with filter on. Need to try filter off. But im suspecting as was last night ill take it off and gain a bit of speed. Adjusting air intake without major tooling on the cylinder head?

17. Frankfort MB's

You do know I'm talking about fuel mixture NOT oil mixture?

18. Diabloman

Diabloman New Member

Oh yes im aware. Theres the air to fuel ratio. Then for my fuel to oil i was running rich as well.

19. Frankfort MB's

32:1 is about perfect for oil.... I run 32:1 and with full synthetic 2 stroke oil it keeps everything nice and cool

20. Diabloman

Diabloman New Member

Running about that with some scooter pro low smoke formula. Picked up some performance 2 stroke synthetic for when thats out