Hello Fello Builders

Hi from Rich in Erie PA.
I built my first bike about a month ago.
I've got to say i'm very impressed with the progress made on these forums.
Very informative.

I have a Schwin Mountain Bike fitted with a Grubee GT-2B 48cc motor and the expansion chamber from Sick Bike Parts.

I also custom made a 36 tooth rear sprocket and the front motor mount.
Things seem to be very solid allthough i have experienced some issues.

I did'nt have any luck with the chain tensioner, finally got the motor mounted where i don't need it but due to only clamping down in 2 points the motor seems to slip sideways slightly after time loosening the chain.

I have a new mount design in mind to eliminate this.

Initially i sheared the front motor mount bolts off wile riding and the whole engine went sideways. snapped a tooth off the 10t sprocket and messed up the back wheel. I was just starting off luckily cause the chain locked up the rear wheel.

Iv'e got a plan to make sure that dont happen again. Considering i would seem to cruise around 30 to 40 mph most of the time. An episode like that could be painful.

I have not got a good replacement 10t yet.
I bought one and it has a slightly larger bore dia. A bigger Keyway and the teeth are the wide version. The standard chain that came with my kit wont fit so it must be for the #415 chain.

I bought a #410 chain and it fits the sprocket but since the sprocket isn't a good fit to my shaft I don't want to use it.

So i still need to find a 10T Narrow Sprocket.
I havent had any trouble from the one with the busted tooth but it is an opportunity for disaster.

I ride her hard and fast and she likes it.
I'm sure much higher RPM than i should most of the time.
I lengthened the exhaust header to get the power band down but she really seems to like the higher end.

I also use NOS Octane Booster Racing Formula with my gas mix.
I run a richer oil mix with 2 oz octane booster per tank.

That probably jumps my octane rating to 120 or better.

Allthough the compression ratio is weak.
It makes a big diff.
I never seem to run out of throttle.
I never seem to run out of pull.
And when that Chamber hits, she runs smoothe as the devil.

Soon here i plan to buy another engine.
Only to take apart and rebuild over the winter with the intention of creating a BEAST.

I have been a CNC Machinist for 12 years, have a degeree in Computer Aided Drafting and Design, and i'm actually not far off of being a mechanical engineer.

Currently i work for General Electric programming CNC Lasers.

So to my benifit i have a whole Sheet Metal Fab Shop at my fingertips.
I know many of the local Machine shop Owners so i don't think Custom machining will be a problem either.

I want to build the baddest of the baddest Kit motor.

Sure there are some out there for big $$$$ but i want to take the cheapy and make straw into gold.

With a little ingenuitity and alot of trial and error this is going to be a blast.

So where to start????

I think the biggest limitation to these little motors is caused by the unbalance and the cheap bearings.

There are bearings out there that can take a beating and i believe they will take this motor to the next level.

My main bearings started to chatter a little yesterday, I guess from running high rpm so much. But i greased everything up and she seems good to go.
Hopefully itll last till winter.

Anyway you all have a great day.
If anyone is looking to hire an Engineer to build these babies let me know.
Sorry for the long post but i love these things.
I hope to have much to contribute to this outstanding forum.

See ya.

Rich:unsure:

Welcome to the forum and glad you joined us. Can't wait to hear details as your projects progress.

Back