Hello Fello Builders

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by 210061741, Sep 2, 2009.

1. 210061741

210061741 Guest

Hi from Rich in Erie PA.
    I built my first bike about a month ago.
    I've got to say i'm very impressed with the progress made on these forums.
    Very informative.

I have a Schwin Mountain Bike fitted with a Grubee GT-2B 48cc motor and the expansion chamber from Sick Bike Parts.

I also custom made a 36 tooth rear sprocket and the front motor mount.
    Things seem to be very solid allthough i have experienced some issues.

I did'nt have any luck with the chain tensioner, finally got the motor mounted where i don't need it but due to only clamping down in 2 points the motor seems to slip sideways slightly after time loosening the chain.

I have a new mount design in mind to eliminate this.

Initially i sheared the front motor mount bolts off wile riding and the whole engine went sideways. snapped a tooth off the 10t sprocket and messed up the back wheel. I was just starting off luckily cause the chain locked up the rear wheel.

Iv'e got a plan to make sure that dont happen again. Considering i would seem to cruise around 30 to 40 mph most of the time. An episode like that could be painful.

I have not got a good replacement 10t yet.
    I bought one and it has a slightly larger bore dia. A bigger Keyway and the teeth are the wide version. The standard chain that came with my kit wont fit so it must be for the #415 chain.

I bought a #410 chain and it fits the sprocket but since the sprocket isn't a good fit to my shaft I don't want to use it.

So i still need to find a 10T Narrow Sprocket.
    I havent had any trouble from the one with the busted tooth but it is an opportunity for disaster.

I ride her hard and fast and she likes it.
    I'm sure much higher RPM than i should most of the time.
    I lengthened the exhaust header to get the power band down but she really seems to like the higher end.

I also use NOS Octane Booster Racing Formula with my gas mix.
    I run a richer oil mix with 2 oz octane booster per tank.

That probably jumps my octane rating to 120 or better.

Allthough the compression ratio is weak.
    It makes a big diff.
    I never seem to run out of throttle.
    I never seem to run out of pull.
    And when that Chamber hits, she runs smoothe as the devil.

Soon here i plan to buy another engine.
    Only to take apart and rebuild over the winter with the intention of creating a BEAST.

I have been a CNC Machinist for 12 years, have a degeree in Computer Aided Drafting and Design, and i'm actually not far off of being a mechanical engineer.

Currently i work for General Electric programming CNC Lasers.

So to my benifit i have a whole Sheet Metal Fab Shop at my fingertips.
    I know many of the local Machine shop Owners so i don't think Custom machining will be a problem either.

I want to build the baddest of the baddest Kit motor.

Sure there are some out there for big $$$$ but i want to take the cheapy and make straw into gold.

With a little ingenuitity and alot of trial and error this is going to be a blast.

So where to start????

I think the biggest limitation to these little motors is caused by the unbalance and the cheap bearings.

There are bearings out there that can take a beating and i believe they will take this motor to the next level.

My main bearings started to chatter a little yesterday, I guess from running high rpm so much. But i greased everything up and she seems good to go.
    Hopefully itll last till winter.

Anyway you all have a great day.
    If anyone is looking to hire an Engineer to build these babies let me know.
    Sorry for the long post but i love these things.
    I hope to have much to contribute to this outstanding forum.

See ya.

2. Ghost0

Ghost0 Guest

Welcome to the forum and glad you joined us. Can't wait to hear details as your projects progress.