Hello from Canada!

MIK1989

Local time
10:16 AM
Hello everyone, new guy here. I am planning to build my first motorized bicycle. Always liked the cruiser look, so that is where I would like to start. Have done some research about what bikes and what engines are available, and being somewhat tall (6'4") I'm thinking about getting this bike: Firmstrong Chief http://www.beachbikes.net/index.php?p=product&id=917&parent=203, as for the engine I will probably go with 49cc 2 stroke.
Now the question is, the bike has forward pedaling setup and the frame is not really a v shape, how would I be able to mount an engine? What are my options?

Welcome.. eh

Good to see another Canadian here. I would personaly (for your first bike) go with a standard V mount. I just started tuning my cruiser with a very similar shape. it involves more work then it seems.

where aboots are you at? XP

Thanks for welcoming!
The thing is I don't want to spend money on one bike and then buy another one and start from scratch. I'd like to do it right the first time.
What did you have to do to make the engine fit? What engine are you using?
And did you have to register and insure your bike?
I live in Regina, Saskatchewan :)

Ok, so from building bikes with this frame, i have learned that you will need to space your engine from your frame (use 2 of the rear mounts from your engine kit, i have a spare if you need) . With this setup make sure that you upgrad ALL your studs nuts and bolts to high grade steel. I hope this makes sense, im horrid at conveing ideas

-Shell

Would you be able to show some pictures of how you did it? I'm more of a visual type of guy, I need to see it. Are you able to ship the mount if I need it?
Now, how would I know if the nut is high grade, can I find such nuts at Home Depot for example?
And you didn't say, did you have to insure the bike or not?

Thanks, Michael.

i did not insure the bike. I have been stopped a few times by the police, they never give me any trouble. Most just want to know more about the bike. I have even sold a kit to one. I dont have the double spacers on my frame ( i used too) but i will make a mock set up. and yah, i can ship it.

I got my studs and such at a shop called brafasco

That would be great if you can show me the mock set up. Do you use 49cc engine? I've read somewhere in motorcycle handbook for Saskatchewan that any bicycle equipped with gasoline engine is considered a motorcycle and all the rules apply. Also on the SGI website, which is our automotive insurance company, there is an insurance rate calculator, and motorized bicycle is listed there.
Anyway, for now I need to get a bike first, cuz I don't have it yet.

Back