Hello from Colorado! My Sportsman Flyer

Gort

Local time
5:56 AM
Hello to the forum!
I live in northern Colorado, and had been contemplating building up a Sportsman Flyer for several years now. Long story short, I found one of the 200cc bikes in Denver at a great price, took it home, disassembled and cleaned the carb, put in a fresh plug and a new K&N filter, and she fired right up.

Turns out the following weekend was a vintage motorcycle show at Colorado National speedway, the organizers let me enter as they like "tribute bikes" too. One of the perks to entering was that they let you do "parade" laps on the speedway. There was a guy with a radar gun, he clocked me right at 50, that was as fast as I wanted to go that day.

Love the bike, Pat's workmanship and quality of the frame and stainless parts is really good. Am hoping to get some racing going around Colorado, love what the socal guys are doing out at the Grange. Cheers!
sf1.jpg
sf2.jpg

Hey Gort,
Nice find! I'm building a SF80 and you are totally right about Pat's workmanship.
Tom from Rubicon, WI

Beautiful bike! Nice work!

The Honda Hawk in the background brings a tear to my eye.
My first bike was a similar 67 Honda Dream. Regret that I ever sold it.

Steve

Steve,
I appreciate your angst and know how those early Hondas brought up a new generation enjoying well engineered machines .
I remember a day back in 67 a guy named Terry Kirk wheeling down the highway on a 350 Scrambler feet dragging on the road behind.
Those Dreams were a pretty civilized machines, Couldn't afford one today.
1970-1971 there was a pack of us young bucks. My lifelong friend Rick Sorensen had a 69 Triumph Bonneville, a lot of the guys had Hawks and Super Hawks, and me?
I had a wore out 1950 FL Harley. Never could keep up with the pack with a foot clutch and tank shift.
Steve, What do you think of the billet flywheel? Not sure I need to go there but it seems to be something I need to consider.
Tom from Rubicon, WI

Tom, it is beautiful bike. Flywheel, like the rest, a work of art. I don't have the aesthetic tastes to build something as nice as that, but I have enough to appreciate it.

Steve

Back