Hello from Florida Panhandle

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by cwalker, May 24, 2008.

1. cwalker

cwalker New Member

Hello MBc! I am new to the board and new to the hobby. I first saw a motored bike at a campground will camping with my family. I was intrigued with the concept and started researching it online. I love to "tinker" with stuff and I am excited about building a motored bike. Not to mention the rising gas prices are killing me. I only live 4 miles form work so commuting with my new project would be awesome.

I live in Marinna Florida (in the panhandle) and would love any advice and pointer to get me going. I am searching around the thrift stores and garage sales for a bike. Any advice on the best brands to look for (easiest instillation, most durable parts). Also, I am overwhelmed by the selection of kits out there. From eBay, to dedicated websites there seems to be a wide variety of kits to purchase. I want to start with a simple project and then to play the mods down the road.

Thanks for all the help and anyone in my area give me a shout I would love to meet up and check out your projects for some ideas and advise!

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2015

2. Fleet mech

Fleet mech New Member

Gas going up

Hi cwalker I'm new to MBc and Welcome you'll find what you're looking for everything from what type of bike to build to type of motors. I had a problem with my carb, used the search- problem solved. Have Fun!

3. Esteban

Esteban Active Member

We always welcome another from the land of Love-bugs. I hope you get your new project going. Have you tried to ride a non-powered bike the 4 miles ? It is an easy distance unless you have physical problems.

4. cwalker

cwalker New Member

I did ride the 4 miles last week. I realized it had been a long time since I rode more than around the block. The last hill liked to killed me and my legs felt like jello. The biggest problem was I felt like I needed to go home and take a shower after the trek. I am hoping the motor powered will allow me to get to work without all the sweat and the ride home can be my daily exercise.

I have been reading and reading in the posts. My biggest question is do I get the motor first then find a bike to fit it, or get the bike and then pick out a motor?

5. dbigkahunna

dbigkahunna Guest

You have a bike already, just get one to fit it!
    Welcome to MBc from the Giant Side of Texas!

6. cwalker

cwalker New Member

My current bike is a "Next" mountain bike from Walmart. It has the full frame suspension and i don't see how to mount an engine to it. I am searching around for a cruiser style, but live in a small town so there is not alot of choices.

I thought about getting a cruiser from Walmart, but i have read several posts on here talking about how they dont hold up. if i am going to invest the time and money i want something that will last a while.

7. Alaskavan

Alaskavan Guest

For a full suspension bike, a Gebe or Staton kit would work well. Here's a picture of a Staton setup: http://www.staton-inc.com/photo_gallery_large.asp?PhotoID=42
    Dax's Titan could probably be mounted on a full suspension bike without too much trouble.
    All of those options would likely be more reliable than a Happy Time.

8. Welcome to another Floridian from the Treasure Coast........

9. stude13

stude13 Active Member

if want something to last, think american or japanese and stay out of walmart!

10. cwalker

cwalker New Member

Thanks for all the great advise. I have been reading and reading over the last few days. I am thinking about getting a 70cc from thatsdax. My question is should I go ahead and order my motor (since the site saysittakes 10 days to ship) or wait and find a bike first. I am currently planning to search out the yard sales and thrift stores in my area. Since I am in a small town there is not a lot to chose from.

11. Marktur

Marktur Member

Welcome from Boynton Beach, FL!

The Kulana Moon Dog from Walmart for $99 is a steal! Just look all of them over and pick out the best one, with the truest turning rims and tires. Everything else is just "adjustments".

If I had the extra jingle, I would go with a 4-stroke motor like Dax's Titan, and I actually may do that sooner than later. The 2-stroke runs great, but wants to go faster than I feel comfortable riding, and is a bit "boggy" at 15mph, where I'm sure the pure "grunt" of the 4 stroke will keep everything smooth at any speed.

That's my $0.02...
    Good luck!

12. stude13

stude13 Active Member

check out threads about carb tuning, when it feels boggy try a little choke, if that works start adjusting either set screw or move the clip one notch down.

13. Esteban

Esteban Active Member

Start off slowly, by riding a mile or 2 each day. Also, develope your stamina by a brisk walk/treadmill/stationary bike everyday. I am near 60 , have had neck surgery, have a bad back, & 4 miles is nothing. One thing to remember, is that with a bike that doesn't FIT you well, you will get exhausted much quicker.

14. Marktur

Marktur Member

Yeah, I agree...I can't stand pedaling my Kulana Moon Dog...I feel like I'm just too big for it...knees coming too close to the handlebars...and I don't want to raise the seat all the way up like my riding bike - which allows me to extend me legs almost all the way.

I think I need to find one of those offset seat posts that moves the seat back towards the rear a few inches...can someone point me to where I can purchase one of these gizmos?

15. cwalker

cwalker New Member

I think I have a bike to work with. Tell me what you think...

It is a blue Huffy Stone Mountain. I got it from a friend and it has been sitting for a while. I spent all day Saturday tearing it down and cleaning it up. I hope to get some new bearings for it this week and replace the chain and all cables. The rear wheel seems to be a little out of shape and I think I may need to replace it. The thing I like the best is the front forks have suspension to them.

Any tips or improvement to help as I reassemble the bike?

Last edited: Jun 15, 2008
  16. stringer

stringer Banned

hi from fl 2

17. Marktur

Marktur Member

I think that by the time you're done, you could've bought a new one from Walmart... There's a Huffy cruiser for like $79, I think. Don't mean to be a bummer, but bearings, cables, tires, rims...add up to more than a new bike.