hello from Georgia

Mike Bailey

Local time
7:53 AM
hi all. my name is Mike and I have been snooping for a little while and I have found out some good info. I plan to build a motorized bike hopefully within the next month as a back up or may be a primary source of transportation. most of which will be from what I can find and build to work.
As far as my use for the bike will be 1. traveling to my part time job on the weekends to save me roughly 1 to 2 Gallons of gas that my truck burns just to take me roughly 6 miles round trip.
I hope that also I will be able to take it to my primary job which is in excess of 27 miles one way. I will have to build proper lights and turn signals just to be as safe as possible.

so far I was able to pick up a roadmaster Mt. Fury frame for needless to say buying a couple worker lunch. the tires say 24x1.85 so I take it that's a 24 inch frame? my concern is will the China ht 80cc fit this frame?

needless to say yes it is a Walmart bike but it should serve it's purpose. one thing I have noticed is that most people say there top speed is 30 to 40mph but if someone can lead into the right direction to get roughly 35 to 37mph at cruise would be great. thanks in advance. mike.

Welcome Mike. :)
Most road/mountain bike frame listed sizes go by the seat tube length (usually measured from the centre of bottom bracket to the seat tube collar, sometimes to the middle of the top tube), not the nominal wheel size.
It is the internal (can be guessed at based on the centre to collar or centre to centre seat tube length) seat tube length which generally tells us whether a frame has room for an engine.
However cruiser style frames with the bowed down tube have more room as the engine can be mounted lower.
Can you upload a photo, preferably with a tape measure/ruler taped against the seat tube?
24" wheels can be perfectly adequate, but they are the standard for kids'/tweens' mountain bikes so you should check the quality of the wheels and other components are up to the job.... Oh hang on its a Walmart bike. Well, best of luck with that, hope you have health insurance. :(

I'll try to get some pics. may be this coming weekend before I can. thanks for the reply.

Hey Mike, Im in GA as well. Ive built quite a few bikes. I use one as my only means of transportation. I recently moved here from Florida still learning the area. If you ever need help with your bike let me know. Oh Swainsboro GA is where Im located.

I would recommended a walmart cruiser with large handlebars for that great of a commute. The thing is that all walmart bikes these days (Huffy, Schwinn, Roadmaster brands) are from the same chinese manufacturer (Pacific cycles). This would mean quality/price would be consistent throughout brands, so a basic steel framed bike without much intricate components would be your best choice. This will also be easier to install and upgrade your parts in the future with such a flexible frame.

Personally I have a roadmaster mountain 26 bike same from walmart $79.99 because that was the only one in walmart that made sense to me in price (I'm 15 btw), and it does fine, except the frame is stiff and gearing is unnecessary, and tires don't do too well on the road.

But if you can exchange it for a similarly priced Huffy Cranbrook (also $79.99) it will have a better seat and frame for modular components.

Hey Mike, Im in GA as well. Ive built quite a few bikes. I use one as my only means of transportation. I recently moved here from Florida still learning the area. If you ever need help with your bike let me know. Oh Swainsboro GA is where Im located.

Nice to meet you sir. Have you driven your bike in georgia yet? Im in mcdonough closer to atlanta. I should be getting my bike kit in the mail this tuseday. Im just conserned how the police are with the motorized bike in ga. Really dont want to be pulled over and have johny tough nuts imbound a bicycle.

I ride quite a bit. I pass the Georgia patrol barriks and the police station with no issues. Im also running open exhaust so I know they hear me lol. I have found the dirt roads to be fun, watch for soft sand. Im averaging 30 miles a day, mostly on US 1...

Well i got the engine somewhat mounted. Turns out i have a 24 inch frame after all. Motor cleara but im trying to figure a routing for the carb since it hits the rear pipe.

Back