Hello from Kentucky!

spoom

Local time
3:33 AM
Hello from Kentucky! (pics, vids)

Hello from Kentucky! First, let me thank everyone for providing such a great resource for those of us who are just getting started.

I don't have a motored bike (yet,) but I am working on it. I've got a full suspension Mongoose that I'm prepping for either a belt or chain-driven rack mount setup in the (hopefully) near future.

I've always enjoyed making things faster than they ought to be. I currently have two other toys that have been modified for additional speed - a '92 Eagle Talon TSi with an EVO III 16G turbo + supporting mods, and a '97 Mazda Miata with a GT2860RS turbo + supporting mods, suspension work, and a 6-point cage. I sometimes run the Talon at the local drag races and I'm planning on running the Miata in some SCCA events this summer (I've run a few events in it previously, but not since the addition of the forced induction.)

I'll keep everyone posted on the progress of my build. I haven't ordered any engine or drivetrain parts yet, but I've got some new tires, thorn-resistant tubes, Mr. Tuffy tire liners, bar-end mirrors, a suspension seatpost, and a digital speedometer on the way. I'm hoping that the Mongoose will eventually be as much fun as my other two modes of transportation! :)

Pictures and videos below:

Talon vs. LS1 GTO and then against a new Subaru WRX
Talon vs. Acura NSX
Talon vs. modified Altima 3.5

Attachments

• Picture 032.jpg
    Picture 032.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 115
  • 251779_28_full.jpg
    251779_28_full.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 137
  • Picture 015.jpg
    Picture 015.jpg
    136.3 KB · Views: 131
  • DSC_3916.jpg
    DSC_3916.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 128
  • IMG_0017a.JPG
    IMG_0017a.JPG
    89.1 KB · Views: 146
Last edited:
hey there spoom and welcome to the site it is a great place to learn the basics of motored bikes and also some pretty good technical stuff to try out as well
hope you have good luck with your bike build

A couple of updates:

- Removed all of the awful mountain bike decals.
- Swapped out to an all-black saddle.
- Trued and zip-tied the spokes on the wheels.
- Added longer axle to the rear wheel for pre-Gebe-ification.
- Swapped the knobby tires for smooth 26x2.125 tires with Mr Tuffy liners and thorn-proof tubes.
- Replaced the resin pedals with alloy pedals from a road bike.
- Added a bottle cage with a Coleman aluminum bottle for extra fuel.
- Added some mirrors.
- Added a cycle computer to the upper main tube.
- Added Planet Bike Cascadia fenders.
- Adjusted the front and rear brakes.
- Lubricated EVERYTHING.
- Picked up a new 43cc Mitsu clone engine.
- Used Duplicolor vinyl dye to change the red engine shroud to black.

Still need:

- Muffler, fuel tank, lights, and GEBE mount kit.

I've also been toying around with my other projects. The Miata now has a set of 550cc injectors out of a 2nd gen RX-7 turbo and an XEDE piggyback computer. I took it out to a local SCCA event a couple weeks ago and had a pretty good time. I think I actually went SLOWER with the increased power - I'm having to re-learn how to drive the car!

I'll keep everyone posted with the progress of the bike. Hopefully I will have the engine mounted soon.

Pictures below:

Attachments

• Picture 117.jpg
    Picture 117.jpg
    117.8 KB · Views: 117
  • Picture 115.jpg
    Picture 115.jpg
    112.3 KB · Views: 119
  • Picture 119.jpg
    Picture 119.jpg
    121.8 KB · Views: 116
  • Picture 126.jpg
    Picture 126.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 125
  • Picture 132.jpg
    Picture 132.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 119
  • Picture 133.jpg
    Picture 133.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 123
  • DSCF5719.jpg
    DSCF5719.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 129
  • DSCI0004-1.jpg
    DSCI0004-1.jpg
    261.5 KB · Views: 93
Hi Spoom,
Nice looking bike !! It's amazing how much better it looks without all the factory "adornment". What part of Kentucky are you in ? I live in Frankfort, and have a good friend that has a motored bike in Louisville. I hope to finally have my bike together next weekend if all goes well....the folks at UPS took the liberty of installing a new oil drain on the engine during shipping the first time around, but that's another story lol. Anyway, welcome to the forum and maybe someday we can take a ride together and compare notes ? I look forward to seeing your bike as it progresses.

Good luck,
Stu

I live on the other (Western) end of the state, so a group ride probably isn't possible. Regardless, be sure to post up your bike when it's together, I'd love to see it!

The engine is together now. I added the muffler, fuel tank, and newly dyed engine cover today.

Attachments

• Picture 170.jpg
    Picture 170.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 115
  • Picture 177.jpg
    Picture 177.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 121
Back