Hello from Kentucky!

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by spoom, Jun 27, 2008.

1. spoom

spoom Member

Hello from Kentucky! (pics, vids)

Hello from Kentucky! First, let me thank everyone for providing such a great resource for those of us who are just getting started.

I don't have a motored bike (yet,) but I am working on it. I've got a full suspension Mongoose that I'm prepping for either a belt or chain-driven rack mount setup in the (hopefully) near future.

I've always enjoyed making things faster than they ought to be. I currently have two other toys that have been modified for additional speed - a '92 Eagle Talon TSi with an EVO III 16G turbo + supporting mods, and a '97 Mazda Miata with a GT2860RS turbo + supporting mods, suspension work, and a 6-point cage. I sometimes run the Talon at the local drag races and I'm planning on running the Miata in some SCCA events this summer (I've run a few events in it previously, but not since the addition of the forced induction.)

I'll keep everyone posted on the progress of my build. I haven't ordered any engine or drivetrain parts yet, but I've got some new tires, thorn-resistant tubes, Mr. Tuffy tire liners, bar-end mirrors, a suspension seatpost, and a digital speedometer on the way. I'm hoping that the Mongoose will eventually be as much fun as my other two modes of transportation! :smile:

Pictures and videos below:

Talon vs. LS1 GTO and then against a new Subaru WRX
    Talon vs. Acura NSX
    Talon vs. modified Altima 3.5

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 28, 2008

2. NunyaBidness

NunyaBidness Member

hey there spoom and welcome to the site it is a great place to learn the basics of motored bikes and also some pretty good technical stuff to try out as well
    hope you have good luck with your bike build

3. spoom

spoom Member

Thanks for the welcome!

4. stude13

stude13 Active Member

hi; i just bought the $99 49cc. thanks mitch

5. spoom

spoom Member

A couple of updates:

- Removed all of the awful mountain bike decals.
    - Swapped out to an all-black saddle.
    - Trued and zip-tied the spokes on the wheels.
    - Added longer axle to the rear wheel for pre-Gebe-ification.
    - Swapped the knobby tires for smooth 26x2.125 tires with Mr Tuffy liners and thorn-proof tubes.
    - Replaced the resin pedals with alloy pedals from a road bike.
    - Added a bottle cage with a Coleman aluminum bottle for extra fuel.
    - Added some mirrors.
    - Added a cycle computer to the upper main tube.
    - Added Planet Bike Cascadia fenders.
    - Adjusted the front and rear brakes.
    - Lubricated EVERYTHING.
    - Picked up a new 43cc Mitsu clone engine.
    - Used Duplicolor vinyl dye to change the red engine shroud to black.

Still need:

- Muffler, fuel tank, lights, and GEBE mount kit.

I've also been toying around with my other projects. The Miata now has a set of 550cc injectors out of a 2nd gen RX-7 turbo and an XEDE piggyback computer. I took it out to a local SCCA event a couple weeks ago and had a pretty good time. I think I actually went SLOWER with the increased power - I'm having to re-learn how to drive the car!

I'll keep everyone posted with the progress of the bike. Hopefully I will have the engine mounted soon.

Pictures below:

Attached Files:

6. Tylden

Tylden New Member

Hi Spoom,
    Nice looking bike !! It's amazing how much better it looks without all the factory "adornment". What part of Kentucky are you in ? I live in Frankfort, and have a good friend that has a motored bike in Louisville. I hope to finally have my bike together next weekend if all goes well....the folks at UPS took the liberty of installing a new oil drain on the engine during shipping the first time around, but that's another story lol. Anyway, welcome to the forum and maybe someday we can take a ride together and compare notes ? I look forward to seeing your bike as it progresses.

Good luck,
    Stu

7. spoom

spoom Member

I live on the other (Western) end of the state, so a group ride probably isn't possible. Regardless, be sure to post up your bike when it's together, I'd love to see it!

8. spoom

spoom Member

The engine is together now. I added the muffler, fuel tank, and newly dyed engine cover today.

Attached Files: