Hello from Kenya

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by remichi, Apr 21, 2012.

1. remichi

remichi New Member

Hi all,

I'm new to the forum. Had read about it when I was still living in Holland but since moving to Kenya and seeing motorized bicycles here I found the forum again.
    In Holland I ride a motorcycle, Honda Shadow. Here in Kenya I was planning to just ride a black mamba bicycle, but now that I've seen them with an engine in it, that's what I need!

Hope to be able to learn a lot from all members here about motorized bicycling.

Some pictures of motorized bicycles in Kenya can be found on my Flickr page:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/michisunited/sets/72157629595539665/

2. Silvaire

Silvaire Member

Welcome to the forum, and thanks for posting the link to your Kenya bicycle pictures!

It brought back some memories when I spend 3 weeks visiting Kenya about 20 years ago, of which I spend about a week wandering the streets of Nirobi. I remember bicycles being basic transportation there, and that the small bicycle repair shops would routinely repair frames by brazing in new tubes and clusters to keep them going.

I also remember that there was a 200% duty on new cars, meaning that for every $1 you spent for a car, you had to give the government $2 in tax - in other words you had to pay 3X for a new car there. I would suspect that a new imported bicycle engine to be subject to this same tax.

3. wheelbender6

wheelbender6 Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum. A girl that works with me is from Zimbabwe.

4. BoltsMissing

BoltsMissing Active Member

Welcome to MBc

Those pics are great!, especially the one built for the rail track.

All the Best,

BoltsM