Hello from Kenya

remichi

Local time
3:20 PM
Hi all,

I'm new to the forum. Had read about it when I was still living in Holland but since moving to Kenya and seeing motorized bicycles here I found the forum again.
In Holland I ride a motorcycle, Honda Shadow. Here in Kenya I was planning to just ride a black mamba bicycle, but now that I've seen them with an engine in it, that's what I need!

Hope to be able to learn a lot from all members here about motorized bicycling.

Some pictures of motorized bicycles in Kenya can be found on my Flickr page:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/michisunited/sets/72157629595539665/

Welcome to the forum, and thanks for posting the link to your Kenya bicycle pictures!

It brought back some memories when I spend 3 weeks visiting Kenya about 20 years ago, of which I spend about a week wandering the streets of Nirobi. I remember bicycles being basic transportation there, and that the small bicycle repair shops would routinely repair frames by brazing in new tubes and clusters to keep them going.

I also remember that there was a 200% duty on new cars, meaning that for every $1 you spent for a car, you had to give the government $2 in tax - in other words you had to pay 3X for a new car there. I would suspect that a new imported bicycle engine to be subject to this same tax.

Back