Hello From Oregon.

Crash

Local time
8:48 AM
Well this is my first introductory post. I am a student at OSU in Corvallis Oregon. Next school year I will be living about a mile and a half from campus, and with gas prices the way they are decided I was going get creative and rig up a motor to a bike. Go figure, a little search turns up the fact that I am not nearly as creative as I thought and there are entire forums dedicated to doing just this.

Anyway, I have a Sears 36cc chainsaw that has only been used once, I got it with this in mind for $40 dollars. Tomorrow evening the janitor at the research lab that I am working this summer is going to bring in an old beach cruiser bike that he is willing to sell to me for $20 dollars to see if I like it.

I like the idea of a chain drive better than friction, but I think that I am going to try a friction drive first. My dad never worked on cars, or made go carts with me, he taught me electronics and built radios and such, so all the connections and clutches, and whatnot is a little intimidating. The friction drive seems more straight forward, and easy to build. I also think that fashioning some baskets will hide it nicely and while legal here, its better to stay low profile.

Where are some good threads on chain saw friction drives? I am confused as how to get the clutch/chain sprocket off the shaft. It looks threaded, but I don't want to break it. I am currently reading through the "Chainsaws,weedwhackers,snow blowers...oh my!" thread. Lots of good info!

Any advice/links would be greatly appreciated.
-Crash

well, shoot...about halfway thru yer post i was headin' for the "oh, my!" link...

never mind :)

check out "let's ride" for the national rally on the long beach peninsula in august, maybe find the "PNW-Riders" social group, too...

welcome aboard :cool:

Back