Hello from St. Louis

Thxcuz

Local time
11:01 AM
I've been a member for a while, but I figure id introduce myself. I'm Mark and I ride a china girl on a oddball 60's amf frame. Unlike a lot of people I haven't had any trouble with my engine....I've had problems but many of those were with the bike itself or me just being stupid or careless or both. I'm mostly stock except for a clamshell on my rear wheel. I'd like to make some improvements, not for speed but for smoothness and dependability. I've been riding this since last spring and it hasn't really let me down. I previously have run friction drives - a bumblebee bolt on which I liked (contrary to what people have accused me of, I'm not the guy who sells them) but I found them under powered and useless in wet conditions. I got a vintage sears friction engine that I brought back from the dead and though I wasn't thrilled with the engines performance, it did give me experience in working on 2 stroke engines. After that I rode a Puch Maxi for a while and learned even more about 2 strokes with that great little 'ped. I needed some quick cash so I sold her (I'm still kicking myself, I dug that moped) to console myself I got a china girl kit and I haven't looked back. I am not going back to friction unless I find a velosolex.
I'm always looking for folks to wrench and ride with, particularity during the week since I work weekends.

On another note, I would like to produce a documentary on these engines and the people who own them. It would be a group effort with submitted videos photos but I think it would be a fun project. Plus it can go on my resume. If you are interested in helping with this project, let me know.
Thanks

Welcome to the forum. You have a lot of experience. Post pics when able.

The seat and shocks look great. You may be starting a new trend with that.

The only thing I don't like about the look of the bike is the fork. The head tube is 7 1/2 inches so I can't use a monarch. I'm not sure if a springer is save at these speeds and to use a triple tree I'd need a new headset and I heard it's hard to find the correct size threadless headset for an old bike. If you folks know of any other options I'd be glad to hear them

I also don't like that I can only fit a skinny tire in back

I am digging your seat and shocks! Where did you get the shocks? (I'd think they'd be rather expensive). And did you make your saddle/seat?

I got the shocks from ebay. I think they were under 10 bucks. The seat is from a schwinn hurricane. The frame is an AMF amflite cobra
I got a 3 liter tank, a hub adapter, improved chain tensioner and a few other upgrades.

Back