Hello from Washington

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by apratt, Dec 10, 2006.

1. apratt

apratt Guest

Hello my name is Arthur Pratt from Napavine, Wa.. Been looking to make my bike into a motorized bike for some time now. First was looking at e motors but they are only good for 20 miles, well I know that is only in ideal setup, well I am far from that. I weigh #240 and we have hills here! So been looking for a 4-stroke belt or chain driven motor. So far all I found is a 35cc Robin/Sugaru mini-4, ouch pricey!!! Are there any other 4-stroke motors that is belt/chain driven?? But for the price difference I just may go with a 2-stroke! Also can a person put a different muffler on the motors so to make it quieter? 70 decible is not what I call quiet!! Would like the noise level to be close to 40 decible. Well thanks for any info you guys can part with. :D

2. Tom

Tom Active Member

hello from california!

The 4-strokes are pretty expensive, and the 2-strokes are cheap. The kit that I got came with a muffler that made it pretty quiet. Not as loud as some of those other 2-strokes gopeds you see driving around. My 80cc 2-stroke is powerful enough for me (195# + hills). There has been some talk of the 2-strokes being made illegal for import in the USA, so my guess is that eventually the 2-stroke price will go up until they are gone.

Welcome to the forum!
  3. davidsis

davidsis Guest

Two stroke gone awwww. My two stroke is pretty quiet too. I do not open it up wide when I am around people. Just kind of cruise.
  4. gone_fishin

gone_fishin Guest

welcome, apratt :)

i'm 200# and get to ride mostly level roads, love my 80cc...if you got a larger rear sprocket & were willing to give up some top-speed, you might love owning one, too 8)

but, it sounds as if you might should have a look at the GEBE line...our resident gebe-guru, bamabikeguy, can surely help you with any questions you might have.

no matter what you finally decide on, we wanna know all about it...with pics :D
  5. apratt

apratt Guest

Thanks for the Info guys. It looks like I am going to go with the 2-stroke route. I been seeing some on ebay for 89 dollars that is 6 motors for the price of the 4-strokes. I looked on the GEGE site didn't see any 80cc motors and the ones I did see didn't look like you could modified or change to a different mufflers, could be wrong. On the 2-strokes motors I am seeing on Ebay, any pointers that I should look out for?? thanks. Art
  6. Tom

Tom Active Member

89 bucks for the motor, right? not the whole kit?

Hmmm... there isn't too much I can think of. I am sure some of the other members will have some good tips.
  7. istbenz

istbenz Guest

Welcome Art,
    89 bucks is pretty cheap for a motor. what exactly are you lookin at? you're gonna need the whole kit to get set up and those are around 225. check out www.thatsdax.com and see what he has. a bunch of have gotten our kits from him and are pretty pleased. :D peace
  8. Butch

Butch Guest

9. gone_fishin

gone_fishin Guest

yup, i agree...i'm in a warranty situation with dax right now, i'll report how it goes, but i expect the same great service he has a rep for providing.

$89 for an 80cc (kit?) would have me really dubious...care to share the specifics? we won't steer ya wrong, none of us are in this for the moolah 8)
  10. apratt

apratt Guest

11. D.J.

D.J. Guest

Sellers will often undervalue an items worth and make it up in shipping costs to save the customer money when it comes to duty , sales tax and delivery charges based on the value of the item . You will save on this motor kit because of lower fees on your end .
  12. bamabikeguy

bamabikeguy Active Member

13. V 35

V 35 Member

If you want quiet, go four stroke, you can't add mufflers to 2 strokes without messing up airflow, and losing power. The four stroke won't mind a custom pipe, and quiet muffler. EZ Motorbike has a kit [ pricey at $ 1K ] that would be idealy suited. Cheap parts often cost more than good ones in the long run.

The 2 stroke is a great way to get your feet wet, you will find the ride buzzy and noisy, but at least you'll be riding, while saving up for a four stroke.
  14. Sgt. Howard

Sgt. Howard Member

In Washington state, anything 50cc or bigger is a motorcycle and will require registration and title... as well as all the horsepucky that goes with it. Depending on what county you are in, it might have to be registered as a moped. King County is notoriouse for such assinine attitudes. Check with your local law enforcement before you splurge. I'm in Okanogan County, and here these things are BICYCLES by law as long as the motor is less than 50cc. You DO have to wear a DOT motorcycle helmet and be 16 years of age (state and federal law, respectively), but there is no paperwork of any stripe. NOTE: any level of government that has responsibility to repair asphalt also has the right to say who shall use that asphalt and how. The City of Wenatchee requires that motored bike operators hold a valid driver's licence- no motorcycle endorsement needed, nor registration for the bike, but you gotta proove you know the rules of the road. That's only within city limits.
    Thought you ought to know...
    the Old Sgt.:army: