Hello, just gathering information

Robert C

Local time
10:27 AM
I will take a moment to say hello to all here in this forum. I am living P.R. China however, I am a US citizen. So, if you need anyone to knock on any doors or look at anything, let me know, I like having excuses to travel around.
It is interesting; here in China the petrol powered bicycles are now illegal. I see a few sitting in piles of stuff; but, never on the road. The electrics have entirely taken over.

I got interested in a petrol powered bike when I was living in the US. I was thinking of building an e-bike; however, I was never happy with the projected range. That added to the terrible recharge time kept me from doing much with one.

I eventually got a used motor and built one as a test of concept. The idea was sound; but, it was clear that I would need to do a lot of work, and go to great expense, to really make it usable.

I also remembered having a Honda 2-stroke moped (when I say moped, I mean moped, not small motorcycle or scooter; I have heard people refer to 250cc motorcycles as mopeds) when I was much younger in the '80s. I always carried a couple of premeasured jar of 2-stroke oil so that I could refuel at gas stations along the way.

This got me to thinking of the increased range of the petrol based bicycle engines. I already have a motorcycle license as I use my motorcycle for primary transportation in the states (having one car and a motorcycle is cheaper for my wife and I than two cars). Finally, I like to tinker.

Probably my biggest concern with the bike motor projects is the projected lifespan of the motors. I realize that it is mostly a "Chinese Quality" issue; but, some of the stories of the limited lifespans bother me. I expect things to last (over 250k on the car and 70k on the motorcycle in the states at the present, the last car went over 300k when I got rid of it [yes, I rebuilt the engine on both cars once]).

Seeing as I am in China, I am mostly at the gathering information stage. As far as style, I like vintage and "steampunk" style; however, there is no way I would even consider a steam powered bicycle. Steampunk is an artistic style, not a mandate of a powersource.

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to MBc, Robert. Now that you have introduced yourself, be sure to read all you can, including the 'Stickies'. They contain a lot of information. For example, Sticky #1 under ‘Introduce Yourself’ has 20 or so links to “How To…” threads, and important pages for you to follow. Sticky # 3 has info on forums, how you are expected to conduct yourself, and where you might find and use various features. But, read all of them, and be sure to use the search feature. If you are still stumped, post your question in the proper Forum. Good Luck. . Now that you have introduced yourself, be sure to read all you can, including the 'Stickies'. They contain a lot of information. For example, Sticky #1 under ‘Introduce Yourself’ has 20 or so links to “How To…” threads, and important pages for you to follow. Sticky # 3 has info on forums, how you are expected to conduct yourself, and where you might find and use various features. But, read all of them, and be sure to use the search feature. If you are still stumped, post your question in the proper Forum. Good Luck.

Back