Votes: 15 5.2%
  • for long rides or in heavy traffic

Votes: 27 9.4%
  • from now on i will

Votes: 10 3.5%
  • i do not vote in polls

Votes: 3 1.0%

• Total voters
hehe...got that right, pete...the media makes for a lousy babysitter, that's for sure.

someone told me about helmets: "a helmet doesn't look silly once you're on the bike." i think about that all the time, and it does feel different once i saddle-up.

i bet a helmetless rider still does a spot-check of the bicycle for leaks, loose, etc...and not one second of thought for their own "mechanical" integrity? go figure :rolleyes:

Helmets,, I'm willing to look "uncool"

Hi, I wear either, a black 1/2 shell w/vents, a burgandy 1/2shell (matches my Red Whizzer), and I have a slate gray Bell 1/2 shell that will match my finished Model 10. I've only "been down" on my Whizzers once, from a standing starting the engine incident. Some guys like to get on thier whizzers, pedal like crazy, firing the engine, and pop over on the stand to go.

I never do this, preferring to stand beside her and kick-start, like a motorcycle.

Buuuuuuuttttt, one night, not too far from here, at a buddy's house, late, tired amd too many beers (apparenly), I decide to climb on and try that. Surely I was not thinking about how slanted the sides of our lil neighborhood streets are that I'm already leaning over while sitting still?

I'm on, and I'm off, laying now with a california round "rollover curb" under my ribcage on the left, and my now bent handlebars planted in my ribcage from the front. My buddy comes over and says "are you ok?" I say (weakly) "No", he comences to pull the bike off of me, I crawl to my feet, set her on the stand, kick start, and ride home. He follows me all the way home 1 1/2 to 2 blocks, with in the 3 mile radius of MOST accidents!

By this time I hurt Real Good! Maybe cracked a rib or two? but I do know that they don't do much to fix ribs so I don't visit Doctor. about a week later I see Kenny again, first thing he says is "Hey man, how's your head?" I say, head's fine but my ribs hurt lika a beaitch, why you asking about my head". He continues "you see that planter there?" I ask, the concerte one with the rocks glued to it? He say"yup, man you hit your head on that HARD." Ohhhh, well that explains why the maroon helmet has several chips where the hard plastic shell shows thru the paint!

I have a machine that cuts vinyl, so I cut some stars, and stuck tham on it, and now that is the "Stars and scars" helmet.

I do sell helmets myself, in about 6-7 styles, NO BEANIES, all real DOT's.

Wear your helmet, look like a goof if you think so, but at least the next day you won't BE a goof for the rest of your life.

Mike (brain still mostly intact)

my helmet is a childs. the adult helmets are way too big. i had my choice of My Little Pony which was $19.99 but the rainbow one was the same brand only $1.99 on clearance. I guess no 8 year old wants a rainbow helmet, I got off cheap!

I wear a schwinn black helmet and the thing is enormous. I don't like it and once I can afford a bell helmet I will upgrade. if I'm testing some adjustment and riding around the block I don't wear the helmet, but riding to work I do.

I finally got a helmet I actually wear
it is a matte black beanie-type with tribal flames
I can wear it over my ever-present ball cap, so I still have visor to help with sun and when I get where I'm going, I don't have 'helmet-head' :LOL: (the helmet keeps my hat from flying off too...bonus:D)
I bought a dot helmet back when I built my first bike, but it was too heavy to wear here in the heat
I sold that one to finance this one
I don't want to become a liability or chore for my family

I like my 1/2 head dot gloss black now don't realy like to were them exsess wheight vission and hearing is not as good and a hellmut has broken many necks,but has also saved a lot of lives and it keeps the fuzz off ya so yes i always wear mine

:cool:I wear a BELL half helmet ALL the time. I look goofy with it on, but when you travel almost 30mph on a bicycle, you really need it.

i also use riding gloves, shoes and knee guards. they don't look goofy, and serve their purpose. the right knee guard is heavily scraped from a crash, so i've learned my lesson.

Myron

Back