• for long rides or in heavy traffic

Votes: 27 9.4%
  • from now on i will

Votes: 10 3.5%
  • i do not vote in polls

Votes: 3 1.0%

• Total voters
Google, Gary Busey head injuries. :D

I plan to ride my bike with an 80 cc engine to Denver, starting out from Salt Lake City. I am researching the bike trails and county roads. I doubt I will use a brain bucket. Perhaps a bicycle helmet, but that will be all.

Full face

I have a shoei X-eleven motorcycle helmet, its $450 dollar helmet, not cheap, and I currenlty use it when riding on back of dads bike (getting mine October 08') but was wondering what you guys would think about me wearing it on a motored bike?

Perhaps when I go ride into the hills?

Ill likely wear just a skateboarding helmet when cruising around town...

Plus it kind-of gets you into that racing mood ;), and you can forget you are only going 30mph...

Have for the past twenty-five years, since they became available. When I was young, motorbike helmets were made compulsory in New Zealand when I'd been riding for a couple of years. In the first couple of months, I'd ride out sometimes forgetting my helmet and it would take me a couple of km to work out why it felt different, until I realised: wind in hair = no helmet! When I started wearing bike helmets, it took buying a few (bicycle) helmets until I found one that was well vented, comfortable shape and the straps are comfortable and unobtrusive when buckled, but relatively easy to adjust and fasten, all at a reasonable price. I've seen real old guys riding around here who've been wearing construction hard hats on their bikes, I think to myself "they're pretty confident they're going to stay upright!" because they don't have straps, of course. But what takes the biscuit is the couple I've seen with plastic ice-cream containers on their heads, wouldja believe? Wish I'd had a camera!

Bike helmets?

I have a shoei X-eleven motorcycle helmet, its $450 dollar helmet, not cheap, and I currenlty use it when riding on back of dads bike (getting mine October 08') but was wondering what you guys would think about me wearing it on a motored bike?

Perhaps when I go ride into the hills?

Ill likely wear just a skateboarding helmet when cruising around town...

Plus it kind-of gets you into that racing mood ;), and you can forget you are only going 30mph...

My take is that you should wear one if you want to. Don't pay attention to anyone who makes fun of you. It's your helmet, your choice.
Tom

Helms

a few yrs ago I was looking for a helm on e bay and started looking at the vintage vespa and there was a MOD helm from England it looked soooo kool but I did not bid on it :( now I look for those odd helms that look vintage and get a kick out of wearing them as I said befor I have one for hot days cold days and rain days and I am still looking for one like the one that got me started on the odd MOD helms :)

Vintage type bike vintage helm brown vintage bomer jacket with home made leather patches :) vintage rider LOL.

Cookie

Just seeing

If you guys think it would be weird to ride around with a full face helmet like Im on a 1000cc liter bike... and really being on a 80cc bicycle ;)

But hey I got to get some use out of it before I get the real sports bike so I guess Ill use it when Im riding in the hills...

I just started biking again a few months ago. Haven't been on a bike I trust over fifteen miles an hour since. I also creep along when I am near a driveway or intersection with a car which has smoke coming from the tailpipe. For some reason maybe known by one of you, all drivers want to pull out in front of me.

I have been known to pull off the road before making a left turn to be sure nothing is within a five mile radius. I am expecting all this to change as i get more familiar with the bike.

I couldn't find the poll answer......."I know that I should wear a helmet but I don't".

I am also looking for something cool, hey I'm only 63

Hey, Kid!

[QUOTE I am also looking for something cool, hey I'm only 63[/QUOTE]

Well, I'm seventy-five and still like to go **** bent for election. I was clocked going forty-three down a steep hill here in Salt Lake City. The cop tried to convince me it was illegal to go that fast on a bike. I told him, "Show me." He couldn't. I still have a greed for speed.

My 18 speed Murray has a Howell engine on it from Dax. I'm running a 70 cc and getting by with it because the cops don't know the difference between the different engines. In town I cruise along at twenty mph and stay in the bike lanes. It's bad for the engine to go high speed coasting down hills so I had to cut that out. At 235 pounds, my bike takes enough of a beating as it is.

Suggestion: If you feel nervous in traffic, take it easy and don't try to force the issue. It's better to treat every car around you as if it has a homicidal maniac behind the wheel. You just might be right in your assumption.

Oh, BTW my motor bike is my only form of personal transportation, summer or winter. It's cheap and fun and gives me a chance to yell at the idiots who cut me off.

Happy riding,
Tom

^ ^ ^ You are an inspiration, sir. LOL. Sincerely... :thumbup:

:)~

Meanwhile...

I voted but haven't read the entire thread...

"Yes, always" when riding anything with motor power. I used to ride a mountain bicycle and wore a helmet then, too; I spent most of my time riding that one in the local mountain ranges away from other traffic.

I have two Schwinn cruisers; the red one, a Chicago Schwinn, is my "Happy Time" 2-stroke motored bike build. I wear a helmet when I ride that one. The other Schwinn, a black multi-speed pure bicycle, I ride without wearing a helmet. That bike is a rolling beach chair. Though I ride it slowly I remain aware that I place my safety in the hands of other motorists when riding the black bike on the street without wearing a helmet.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep, the ol' Gnome-Dome saved me a lot of grief in the 4-wheeler motorsport days and has been a thank-full 2-wheeler habit ever since.

I prefer the BMX stack-hat style as it just seems safer with a hard-shell over thin vac-formed film. I saw the results of tests somewhere and all the foam subjects split in half from simulated 20mph impacts with a concrete slab.

Besides which the Magpie nesting season here in Oz sees some very radical dive-bombing raids by the nestling's parents.

Back