Votes: 15 5.2%
  • for long rides or in heavy traffic

Votes: 27 9.4%
  • from now on i will

Votes: 10 3.5%
  • i do not vote in polls

Votes: 3 1.0%

• Total voters
I believe that most helmets for bicycling are not enough protection for these speeds not sure just my opinion i know i got mad one day threw my bicycle helmet down and it exploded.

Ok, I was debating with myself (I do that quite often now that I'm in my 70's) as to whether I should submit this post. I know it will draw out the ranters. First of all, wearing a helmet does not protect you from all types of accidents. It only helps you in a lawsuit and partially protects your noggin. You wearing a helmet helps to keep my insurance and taxes down. If you cannot accept the responsibility of protecting yourself, then why should I be forced to contribute to your hospitalization? I have a $1,000,000. rider on my insurance to protect me AND you. It's cheap compared to the possible medical costs, and some of you won't even wear a cheap helmet to help protect you, me and your family? If this is your way of thinking and you cannot force yourself to wear a helmet, then at least wear a sign on your chest that says "I am an idiot and I refuse medical help of any kind". I could go on with this but I will get enough flack as it is. For those of you that wear protection, thank you from me, your family and friends, and insurance/tax payers. Have a safe and healthy holiday season!

May I add to my above post that I too hate to wear a helmet but I would not be caught dead without one.

Oh fer sure the **** things are a nuisance, especially for balance in strong winds. My days in car with a full-face bring back memories/nightmare scenes of the weight, inability to hear critical sounds, and no peripheral vision. Glad I don't need to wear one on a bicycle.

I just found out that in NC usa a helmet is required for mopeds.

I had no idea. I have been running around without one since i first build my ebike. I guess since it is silent and doesn't look like a power bike the cops havent bothered me. I had been sitting beside a couple at the lights and nobody said a thing.

Then again there is no mention of ebikes at all. They determine a moped by the cc of the engine. Nothing is said about Ebikes at all. Maybe the ebike doesnt qualify as a moped. I'll have to do some more research.

Some of the posters in this poll throw doubt on the ability of foam-molded-in-shell helmets to save your head if you fall on it, citing "hard shell helmets seem safer". That just isn't so. The energy that shatters the foam is being dissipated by doing so. The helmet's designed that way. If nothing shatters or crushes, the energy will otherwise be transferred straight through, undiminished, to your skull and brain. You can look at an old car and the sheer mass of metal that it's made from and compare it to a newer one that's apparently made from foil and plastic, yet you stand a far greater chance of surviving a sizeable impact in the new one, purely because it's designed to dissipate energy by crumpling in a controlled way. Governments maybe consider that you're worth more than a car or a bike helmet only because they have to provide medical treatment, and you can maybe agree with them, but I like to think that I AM worth more! I won't pay taxes OR buy another car or helmet if I'm dead or disabled.

Last edited by a moderator:
It all depends on the situation and how im feeling whether I wear a helmet or not. Here in new hampshire we have no helmet law. I think we're one of the only states that still lets people choose. When I ride my Suzuki SV650s I always ALWAYS wear one and usually a tough leather jacket as well simply because anything can happen in an instant at highway speeds and I go everywhere with it even in heavy traffic on the freeway. When I ride my motored bikes I'm usually doing so for the simple pleasure of it. I don't peg the revs much or drive like a nut. I usually just keep the engine purring and enjoy the scenes, sounds and smells of good winding country roads. If I was using my motoredbike in bad weather or for commuting especially in the city I'd definitely like the protection of a helmet.

No - they let people choose in AZ (and, I
m pretty sure Ohio) too.

But, as far as a wearing a helmet - ABSOLUTELY. Years ago, my wife worked in a facility in TN that specialized in care for people with head trauma. Even if you don't get killed, head trauma is life altering. Personality altering. Memory altering. It's just not worth it to NOT wear a helmet.

Last edited:
I am not a tecky

I am not a tecky but more of a tinker type but when it comes to helmets it is like that collage that has the egg drop the eggs that do not break are in things that absorb the impact.

When a B*&** cut me off and I put a dent in her car with my head my bike helm had split at the side it also had 2 dents, one in frt one in back from where my head hit the street that day I was glad I had my cheep bike helm on although it did not help my poor broken tail bone :) or my poor junk yard bike.

Cookie

Back