Helmet Type ?

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by Porkchop, Apr 29, 2009.

1. Porkchop

Porkchop Member

I don't know a lot about bicycle helmets. I bought a typical looking bike helmet today, but was considering an all sports helmet like the ones skaters and free style bicycleists wear. I'm sure any helmet is better than no helmet. Any experts out there that knows the pros and cons of the different style helmets ? Thanks !

..... PC .....

2. azbill

azbill Active Member

I use a DOT approved half-helmet :cool2:
    our speeds seemed to warrant moving up to a 'real' one
    even in the desert heat, I feel naked without it
    (makes a good example for the grandkids as well )
  3. bamabikeguy

bamabikeguy Active Member

On my Selma adventure, on the way out of town I spotted a dark blue little league batting helmet on the side of the road, and the foam on the ears sure paid off during the winter rides.

I have an orange Stihl brand hard hat, the kind with adjustable strap. It sits a little high over the skull, (probably looks dumb), but I like the air flow in the summer time.
  4. Porkchop

Porkchop Member

Is this a motorcycle half helmet ? If so, I didn't think about one of those. Wally World has them for about $40.00. I paid $30.00 for my bike helmet at Sports authority yesterday. I think I'll got to Walmart and check out the motorcycle helmets. I did look at baseball helmets yesterday also. I already have a full face road motorcycle helmet. I think that's a little over kill for a bicycle. Heavy and hot in the summer too !
  5. azbill

azbill Active Member

yes, it is a legal m/c helmet
    I figure, I made it this far with the brain cells I have...I'd like to keep 'em :cool2:
  6. DetonatorTuning

DetonatorTuning Active Member

no disrespect intended toward anyone but the old adage is ...................................

buy as much helmet as your head is worth

i wear a full face motorcycle helmet yr. round, i don't have enough brain cells left to gamble with. LOL

7. Porkchop

Porkchop Member

Thanks for the reply and for refreshening my memmory. There are bunches of web sites where you can get helmets cheap. I bought one of mine on line for about $30.00. I turned my 600 pound 4 wheeler over last year and it came down and hit me on the right side of my head. Thank GOD for helmets. And some of my friends call me sissy for wearng a helmet. Their day's coming. I'm going to that web site now to see what they have suitable for bicycles.
  8. DetonatorTuning

DetonatorTuning Active Member

not sure if you saw the report given after kawasaki999 had a front blow out doing 25mph on his BICYCLE.

5 broken ribs, punctured lung, broken collarbone, broken shoulderblade, broken arm.

eight weeks recovery then PT.

i'd hate to say what the absence of a helmet would have meant THAT day.

PLEASE, give up the idea "it's justa bike"

there are only 2 kinds of riders, those who HAVE crashed and those who WILL, given enough riding time to stack the odds, most guys are BOTH.

9. Porkchop

Porkchop Member

In your statement "PLEASE, give up the idea "it's justa bike"
    It is just a bike. It's my HEAD and body I'm concerned about. Not the bike !
    I got hit by a car two different occasions when I was pre school age. A long time ago, but let me tell you, I remember it quite well till this day, and buddy, does it hurt !!!!!!!!!!!! I have every intention of wearing a helmet. I can tell you, the few miles I've ridding my motor bike in the past two days, cars have no respect what-so-ever. I ride on the side walk when ever I can. If I have to cross a bust street, I get off the bike and walk it across. Another thing I've got to do is get rear view mirrors on my bike.
  10. loquin

loquin Active Member

I believe what detonator was getting at is the riders who don't wear helmets because "it's just a bike we're riding..."
  11. Porkchop

Porkchop Member

Yeah ! I'm sure that's what he meant. I just wanted to expreee my opinion about wearing a helmet. Heck, I wear a hard hat while doing some things at home when I'm standing still. I don't like tripping and hitting the ground at walking speed, let alone at 25-30 mph ! And as someone else said, there are two kinds of motorcycle/bicycle riders, those that have fallen, and those that will ! Gotta go ! I hear a motor bike downstairs call me ! gotta go ride before it gets dark. And hope I don't find out how good my new helmet works !
  12. Born2BWild

Born2BWild New Member

Wal-mart... Even here in expensive Canuckistan they sell the DOT half helmet (biker style minus the German spike) for $40 (about USD $30) and a full motorbike helmet & visor for $60 or so and I think the full face with chin guard is $80. Blue-tooth wireless music support is the $100 model, all at the local Wallymart.

They will be a little hotter and heavier than the typical (20 cent?) styrofoam and .010" plastic bike helmet selling for $10-20. 1 crack in the plastic and it should be replaced (don't drop it...)

Motorized bike riders must wear a DOT helmet here in the Great White North, for the 5-6 months we can use them...
  13. Shadeslay

Shadeslay Member

Piked up my dot helmet online for $50, there's tons of sites that sell some decent dot helmets for cheap. They really don't cost much more then a bicycle helmet and look way better in my opinion. Walmart has some, but if you want a variety check online.
  14. Porkchop

Porkchop Member

I just remember Norther Tool has helmets. I bought a Motor Cross helmet there last year.
  15. smittyeh

smittyeh New Member

I decided with my bicycle now doing speeds more like a motorcycle i upgraded to a DOT approved helmet, from JPHelmet
  16. FightForTheCause

FightForTheCause New Member

If going 35 or so, you want a good helmet for sure!