HELP! 4 Stroke Huasheng engine throws oil out of carburetor

Discussion in '4-Stroke Engines' started by obrauthigam, Mar 21, 2014.

1. obrauthigam

obrauthigam New Member

i bought a 4 stroke bicycle off craigslist and it was not running at the time due to the pull start being broken, i inspected it and it seemed fine, i got all the parts ready for it to go and it wouldn't start, i finally disconnected the kill switch and there was life! got to run, but it was throwing a grey smoke out of the exhaust, and when i tried to get the engine to run for a prolonged time by pulling the throttle it would spit oil through the carb. also, the engine will crank over and start but wont stay on unless it is given throttle. ive bought a new spark plug, new cdi, and a new pull start, i have also cleaned the carbs.

when the big is being moved i can hear a scraping coming from the engine, like something is rubbing, but im not too familiar with these motors so i dont want to take it apart and start ordering parts before i know whats going on..

SOMEBODY PLEASE HELP!!

2. MotorBicycleRacing

MotorBicycleRacing Well-Known Member

Did you check the dipstick for the oil level?

3. obrauthigam

obrauthigam New Member

What is the correct level? I've checked it... Also? The engine doesn't want to run, like it's a struggle for it to run, would and overfill of oil cause that problem?

4. darwin

darwin Well-Known Member

Chances are oil is over filled that's causing oil to come out of the breather. Oil only needs to be to the bottom thread of the fill opening on a flat surface. The rubbing noise is it the clutch hopefully? Pull the plug out of it and you can turn it over easily by hand slowly to see maybe where that noise is.

5. obrauthigam

obrauthigam New Member

Okay, I changed the oil, I'm assuming the rubbing the piston? Not sure, but since the oil was changed and at the correct level, the engine still doesn't want to run. I'll crank it, and it wants to start but it just dies out I'm wondering if maybe I should change the carb? Or is this an internal engine problem

6. obrauthigam

obrauthigam New Member

Also forgot to mention that I took the carb out and cleaned it with carb cleaner, thoroughly, the jets don't seem clogged as the carb was able to sorry through them... However, like I said, I'm not too familiar with these engines

7. butterbean

butterbean Well-Known Member

8 ounces of oil for a Huasheng engine.

8. darwin

darwin Well-Known Member

HS 142f does NOT hold 8 oz of oil butta, disregard that OP! I'd have to look it up but it's closer to 3 ozs.

9. Quenton Guenther

Quenton Guenther Motored Bikes Sponsor

The motor needs slightly more than 8 OZ. of oil.

Consider the following:

Motor could have been shipped with some oil and upside down causing the oil to pool above the piston.

If overfilled the excess oil will be forced into the air breather and clog up the foam filter.

Most people aren't able to clean carburetor correctly, as it isn't typical design.

There is a small pilot style jet hidden under the idle adjustment screw. Remove plastic idle set screw and lift small fixture upward to view jet system.

The pilot jet can't be cleaned with spay cleaner and or air.

Pilot jet and associated passages causes about 99% of the carburetor issues on these motors.

Best to clean pilot jet with very very small wire [not a drill bit] from a wire brush or frayed cable.

Hope this information is helpful.

Have fun,

10. darwin

darwin Well-Known Member

Quentin I've owned 2 hs 142f's and a quart of oil lasts about 4/5 changes. Am I missing something or should a quart be poured into the crank case?

11. banned_for_life

banned_for_life New Member

8 oz is not a quart, 32 is. A quart lasting 4 oil changes sounds about right for an engine that holds about 8 oz or so. There are 128 oz in a gallon, a quart would be 1/4 of that, or 32 oz. Divide that by 8, and you get 4.

12. Quenton Guenther

A quart will be slightly short for 4 changes. The motor uses a little more than 8 ounces per change. When changing the oil, sometimes a little is left in the crankcase, and may only use 8 ounces to fill.

Have fun,

13. Fabian

Fabian Well-Known Member

Be thankful only oil is being thrown out of the carburettor - that's easily fixable.
    If the engine gets really serious about doing something spectacular it might decide to throw a connecting rod, piston or valve gears out the carby venturi; ejecting them somewhere in the vicinity of your tabernacles.

14. Old Bob

Old Bob Member

Darwin always said "a little chlorox in the gene pool never hurts"

15. darwin

darwin Well-Known Member

Yea I had a brainfart saying the HS142f only needed 3 oz, you guys are right. I think I messed up thinking a qt was 16 ozs.

16. obrauthigam

obrauthigam New Member

thank for the help. Ive changed the oil, and it still wont start, ive adjusted the fuel line and the fuel is flowing fine. i ordered a new carb, and ill keep this post updated with that when i get it installed. i figured it wouldn't hurt to get a new carb anyways since the old one is now full of oil etc.. hopefully thats the problem

17. Quenton Guenther

Hi Be sure to clean the foam filter or the problem will be transferred to the new carburetor.

Be sure to put some carburetor cleaner in the fuel as often paint chips or dirt from a new tank can cause carburetor issues.

Have fun,

18. obrauthigam

obrauthigam New Member

Sure thing! Thank you for the advice!

19. darwin

darwin Well-Known Member

After the last 2 summers and dirty carbs I'm putting a fuel filter inline to see if it stops plugged up carbs. I drain the fuel every fall but the last 2 years were PIAs, has to be the new fuel they're using gumming up the works. I've never had that problem in the past.

20. obrauthigam

obrauthigam New Member

okay, new carb came in and ive installed it with the clean foam and all and new fuel.. still wont fire up. i crank it over and it'll hiccup, and the engine attempts to start but then dies out, if even backfired through the carb again.. im starting to think the problem is internal.. any ideas?

also, as far as the magneto, is it supposed to be magnetized on both sides? or just one?