Help / advice with speedometer

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by dwsutton, Aug 4, 2008.

1. dwsutton

dwsutton Member

I like having a speedo however Ive used two of the cheapo Schwinn copies from Ebay ( cable drive, large round face) and both have failed after a short time. It seems they can't hold up to the higher speeds and Im pretty sure very far off from 20mph and up. Any suggestions to what would be better ? Schwinn does make a digital speedo - do those types work well ? What is the best ? Thanks !!!

David

2. stringer

stringer Banned

3. Warner

Warner Member

I DID just have a problem with it not registering speed, but it appears to have been that the magnet (on the spokes) was too far from the pickup sensor. I tested it last night with a magnet tool by running it across the pickup sensor repeatedly and it did register a speed. So I adjusted the two pieces to be closer together (almost touching) and during my brief test it appeared to work again. I'll test it more tonight after I get home from my daughter's soccer practice. (even if it's dark, thanks to my kick-butt headlight! The photos I posted of the light on at night did NOT do it justice....it REALLY works well!)

Warner

Last edited: Aug 5, 2008
  4. kerf

kerf Guest

For what you've spent you could buy the Whizzer chrome unit. Accurate, retro look, 12v lighting. I ain't going back.

5. Warner

Warner Member

If you're referring to me, I wouldn't like that "chrome, retro" look with my bike. The 12v lighting would be a nice feature, but the rest of it doesn't fit my needs at all. I like having average speed, total miles, trip distance, max speed, etc...and I spent about $20 on my setup. If you're talking to someone else, carry on! Hehehe.

Warner

6. kerf

kerf Guest

Just a reply to dwsutton.

7. Warner

Warner Member

Gotcha'

Warner

8. Ghost0

Ghost0 Guest

I use a cheap Bell brand cycle "computer" $16, and it works well after I put a resistor plug wire on it, with the stock wire it would keep resetting itself. I haven't had a problem with it since.

9. dwsutton

dwsutton Member

The Whizzer speedo is $10.00 ? Please let me know where to order one.

10. kerf

kerf Guest

Ten dollars, including shipping, thats pretty good, ugh cept they don't work anymore. Good instrument will set you back 1/2 a C note but the issue will be gone.