Clutch HELP! bike wont click over to start

markymark714

Local time
10:46 AM
My bike just broke down and I can't figure this one out. Normally if my clutch isn't engagedthe back tire is hard to rotate but will click as if trying to start but my bike won't click. I pedal and get speed going and pop the clutch out and all that happens is the back tire slowly locked up and makes a squealing noise. Can some one please help me.

Hey, have you looked at the clutch pads and in that area. maby needs adjusting. If clutch lever if squeesed in back tire should move with some ease. uumm

When clutch is squeezeed in the tire moves freely. It's when I try to pop the clutch out to start the bike is when it us just grabbing and locking up instead of kicking over to start

Stuck?

Hey Mark,
First, Make sure your chain isn't bunched up inside the drive sprocket cover. If the chain was loose this is entirely possible. If that's OK, next thing to check is the engine. It could be seized. Lock something on to the drive gear and try to turn it. If your VERY carefull you can try vicegrips for this.
If it was stuck with the clutch in I would say it might be that, But you say it spins OK with the clutch pulled in.
I hope the chain is bunched, The other option blows real bad.(a seized engine). Were you running with the proper fuel/oil mix?
Check it out and get back to us. We'll help all we can.
Big Red.
Sorry, I'm stupid. If the chain was bunched up the tire would not spin at all. Check your engine.

Last edited:
I don't really know much about engines is the drive gear the little sprocket the chain is hooked to? And no I was not running the proper gas/oil ratio. I was very low on fuel so I stopped at gas station and put gas in it with no oil because I didn't have any on me. If the engine is seized is it junk or can it be repaired

Checked and tightend clutch/clutch pad area still doing the same thing I am so bummed I have been dumping money in this thing so much cuz its my only form of transportation. :(

ohhh...if you put straight gas in it, you could have seized the engine up.
straight gas will make the engine run strong, but not for very long since the oil in the gas lubricates the bearings and the piston rings.
It's VERY possible that you have a locked up engine because of bearing or piston ring failure.
NEVER put straight gas in a 2 stroke....you should have peddled it home or gotten someone to pick you up instead of just putting gas in it with no oil.
it can possibly be fixed, but you have to take it apart and figure out what part(s) failed.
chances are, the engine is toast and will need rings, bearings, and maybe even a new piston and cylinder.
you may be better off just buying a replacement engine.

Seized engine

I don't really know much about engines is the drive gear the little sprocket the chain is hooked to? And no I was not running the proper gas/oil ratio. I was very low on fuel so I stopped at gas station and put gas in it with no oil because I didn't have any on me. If the engine is seized is it junk or can it be repaired

Sorry bro. I did ask if you were running the proper fuel/oil mix. I was afraid it was a seized engine, but for your sake I was hoping it wasn't.
Check out e-bay and craigslist for a cheap, perhaps used, replacement engine. You might think about going with a 4-stroke engine. Then you can stop at any gas station and no worries about an oil mix. Of course 4-strokes are more expensive but they are more reliable and, most of the time, last longer. If I lived closer to you I'd just help you rebuild the one you have. Once you've done it a few times there's not really that much to it. pull the head and see if the crank spins free with no wiggle in the bearings. If you got real lucky perhaps you just seized and damaged the piston/rings and cylinder. all of that, with a new wrist pin and bearing, is not really too expensive.
Whatever you decide to do I wish you the best of luck.
Big Red.

Ya I have a buddy a few cities away that can help its just hard my bike being my only form if transportationlol but hopefully this next week he can look at it and tell me what u need for him to fix it.

Back